Topic: Opinions on Zarban's town history website

My tiny town has a really nice historical center that opened about 18 months ago and has several standing exhibits and a nice collection of photos that have been digitized. What they don't have is anyone who has Web experience.

I told the director I would mock something up and propose an archiving solution, and here it is, a Wordpress site with links to (I suppose) Flickr:
https://bremenhistorycenter.wordpress.com/

If they like the idea, I can convert it to its own domain, of course. Wordpress is simple enough that they can create their own posts and maintain a Google events calendar and whatnot, and I can add the occasional "pizazz" post like the examples I've cooked up.

With regard to Flickr: I have used the obscure site Fotki for years but it's had almost zero innovation. I know Flickr is still about the most popular, but I'm open to suggestions.

PS: I don't like the script font in the banner, but one of the upgrade perks is customizability of that sort of thing.

Last edited by Zarban (2015-07-11 15:19:12)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: Opinions on Zarban's town history website

That's a nice looking site you've got there, As someone who has spent more time then I care to admit trying out different wordpress templates I know that is no easy feat.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Very slick. The gray text in the banner seems a bit difficult to read with a few of the bg image options, but aside from that, total thumbs up.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks! Yeah, I can't change the font or the color of the banner text until I upgrade.

Wordpress is amazing tho. Since I had all those photos, more or less, it only took about 6 hours to mock that up. I've taken longer dumps.

Honestly, it looks good. It reads like a news paper (in a positive way) and is very simple to navigate.

I do agree with Teague on the gray on gray coloring, just for reading ease. Navigation, though (which is something I think is very important) is quite easy.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm still pooping from last time.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got back from a meeting discussing this proposal with the museum's staff (three people). It's sort of comical to try to explain WordPress and Flickr and the concept of blogging and a pipeline and everything else to people who just know Facebook. I basically ended up going "It can kind of do anything you want, really."

If anyone here has any archival experience, especially with collections management software called Past Perfect, I'd love to chat.

Last edited by Zarban (2015-07-18 00:48:47)

Zarban wrote:

It's sort of comical to try to explain WordPress and Flickr and the concept of blogging and a pipeline and everything else to people who just know Facebook. I kind of ended up going "It can kind of do anything you want, really."

You say comical, I say hell on Earth...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down