Re: The Star Wars 7 Thread (SPOILERS. SERIOUSLY. ALL THE SPOILERS.)

Just got the blu-ray, watching it now. Something I never noticed before:

Rey: Where do you come from?
BB-8: Bleep bloop bleep.
Rey: Classified? Me too. Big secret.

Ha.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Just saw this, thought it was interesting:

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

It rhymes.

Huh.

Like poetry!

Extended Edition - 144 Detective Pikachu
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Wow, seeing it side by side makes it work fairly well. And watching the fight with Finn broken down that way definitely shows that Kylo, despite his injury, was enjoying taking it to Finn over betraying the First Order.

As for Finn's turn, I personally found it very interesting, from a character point of view. Speaking to the psychology, there are many soldiers, doctors, and other professionals who demonstrate outstanding classroom skills, knowledge and proficiency and absolutely crumble in the face of the real thing.

I will agree on the pacing of the film though. I think that is a lot more of Abrams' style than anything else, though I see it more and more in line with contemporary film making style.  There are so many moments that I wish would just be given a few more beats for the emotions to come through.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I liked the film in terms of the interesting characters it set up. But I had major problems with the pacing, which made it feel like some modern action flick rather than a Star Wars movie. I also felt the movie seemed to lose focus once Han Solo came into the picture. Like up until that point, everything was so tight; Luke is missing, Rey finds the droid with the map to Luke, Kylo Ren is tracking them down, and basically the movie seems like it's a race to see which side can get to Luke first.

But once Han Solo is introduced, it seems to veer off course a bit. And speaking of Han, the movie waits 17 whole minutes to acknowledge why Han is even in the movie. Like he comes on board the Falcon and we get no clue as to why he's there, how he found them, or why the story is now about escaping the CGI tentacle monsters. It's only after landing on Maz's planet that the movie thinks we deserve some explanation. Once on Maz's planet, the movie really seems to lose focus. What happened to the urgency in finding Luke? And it also seemed to bit odd to me that Maz just randomly had Luke's old lightsaber. It just seemed like the movie was telling us to not think about it too much and just accept what was happening.

Things pick up again towards the end on Starkiller base but again, the Luke storyline is nowhere to be found. But this part is still interesting due to all the character stuff with Han, Kylo, Rey, and Finn. Overall, I think the film's biggest success was setting up interesting characters that we want to see more of and learn more about. Like I wanted to learn more about Rey's backstory, Kylo's backstory, and what made Luke disappear. But as a film on its own, I just wish it had more focus, less random occurrences, and better pacing. So I still enjoyed it, but I'm hoping Episode 8 is a more intimate and focused film where we can explore the characters more, kind of like TESB but with a completely different plot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Plinkett review is finally out.

We all float down here...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A few responses:

Interesting point about the timing of the pro-Prequel articles

Don't feed the pretentious over-intellectualizing flakey film-studies majoring trolls

RLM once led from the front, now bringing up the rear

Agree about the puritanical sexless SW universe. Most PG13 franchises these days have been scrubbed clean of anything risque as most new emerging cinema markets are (at least) a century behind the times. Either that or it was hinted that showing sexiness is now deemed sexist (PC gone mad), so that we've gone full circle back to Victorian England values.

He got what he wished for (JJ doing Ep7) so he can hardly shit on it too much. He almost went full-circle himself and wished for Lucas again!

Good point about Soft Reboots

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down