Topic: Movie of the Year 2015 edition

So the movie of the year is....? Besides Mad Max Fury Road, of course.  lol

Disappointment of the year? Tomorrowland? Avengers 2?Jupiter Ascending? Terminator Genisys? Spectre? One can add another dozen to this list.

Box office hit of the year: Jurassic World - biggest selling non-James Cameron film of all time.

Score of the year? Inside Out.

Sleeper hit from out of left field? Ex Machina.

VFX of the year? Given the fact that Hobbit 3 didn't even get nominated (as it was more of the same), should ep7 be nominated (also nothing new)? None of the Prequels got gongs for VFX.  Dunno what would qualify this year if the criteria is innovation not quantity of VFX. No Gravity or Life of Pi or Benjamin Button type of movies where we see something new. Probably Fury Road is the best bet. Ant Man maybe. The Martian?

Film most likely to walk away with all the Razzies? I'd nominate Terminator Genisys

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Movie of the Year 2015 edition

I really loved Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Probably my favorite of the year.

What about cinematography? Haven't seen the Revenant, but I wonder if Chivo will take it home a third year in a row. Fury Road is a tough contender though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TFA is my film of the year for... too many reasons to list. I think it's a truly great movie.

PHOENIX and CREED were also unforgettable theater-going experiences I had this year.

FURY ROAD and TFA were the two 2015 films that were the best at putting images in my mind and having them stick there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give homeboy his third cinematography Oscar in a row. Deakins did SICARIO this year, and his work in it is absolutely amazing, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him lose for the umpteenth time to someone who couldn't carry his jock.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Haven't seen Carol or H8 yet to see if they change anything, but at the moment:

Best of the year goes to Fury Road hands down, followed closely by Inherent Vice. I know not everyone liked the latter, but I could have spent another four hours in the theatre watching it. Absolutely beautiful to look at, and full of the deftest combination of hilarity and paranoia I've seen in a movie--watching it was akin to getting high oneself. And the performances were all knockouts, with Katherine Waterston making a huge first impression and Joaquin Phoenix proving yet again to be my favorite actor working today.

Worst goes to Terminator Genysis . That fucking movie.

VFX definitely goes to Fury Road in my book. Star Wars was gorgeous, but as said above there was nothing new there.

Best Newcomer goes to Daisy Ridley--in a cast full of fantastic performances she stood out as just phenomenal. Most Versatile to Oscar Isaac--between A Most Violent Year, Ex Machina and Star Wars he played three completely different roles to perfection.

Most Forgettable goes to The Martian --in compiling the list of movies I'd seen this year in order to rank and review them I completely forgot that I had seen it.

Last edited by Abbie (2015-12-24 04:48:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd put Martian with Fury Road as least forgettable. Both of those movies left awesome marks on my brain.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah, The Martian was ace.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I liked the Martian a lot, but I kinda forgot about it too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The real disappointment of the year was the cessation (suspension?) of FIYH. No more WAYDM podcasts to look forward to.  sad

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

pimp

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

Of the 26 2015 films I've seen, Fury Road leads followed by Sicario. I really hope Deakins gets a cinematography win, Sicario is so downplayed in a way, but he does so much with so little. The shot of the soldiers at sunset descending below the horizon as the camera lands perfectly on the cloud formation in the distance... Beauty. I've yet to see The Revenant however.

Worst big film goes to Genisys, followed closely by the Poltergeist remake.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FURY ROAD FURY ROAD!  (oh and maybe a little bit of Rogue Nation in there too!)  Worst movie for me was Jurassic World.  I'm okay with gratuitous special effects!  Nothin wrong with that.  What irks me is slavishly pandering and formulaic screenplays.  gah!

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Still need to see The Revenant and Anomalisa, either of which I could see stealing the top spot.

Those notwithstanding, it's easily Fury Road, with Mission Impossible as a really solid #2.
Creed, Ex Machina, and Inside Out are my other standouts.

Sicario is over-rated, cinematography not-withstanding.

Hateful Eight I literally have no idea how I feel about, and will have to see it again.
It could be Tarantino's worst, could grow to be one of his best.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I guess I didn't see too many this year.

But, The Martian, Interstellar or SW get my votes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I only saw 7 movies at the cinema this year. (Though there's another half-dozen I still want to see, eventually).

But, two of those I saw twice. Fury Road (obviously), and The Hateful Eight. So my vote is for those two.

I feel sadly confident saying that how you feel about The Hateful Eight will be greatly impacted by the audience you see it with. It's kind of a crapshoot. But it's a very intelligent/deliberate film (but not heavy-handed, 'cause fuck me that first audience missed the point). Maybe in a few years we'll look back and recognize that Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, and The Hateful Eight were a turning point for QT and we'll take those seriously and not just on the surface. Probably not though.

Oh, and honourable mention to a German film called Victoria. Don't watch a trailer, don't look up info on it, but go find a copy and watch it. A pleasant treat. Whether you like it or not, it's certainly a unique experience.

Last edited by Herc (2016-01-02 23:02:16)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Mad Max: Fury Road
Inside Out
Bone Tomahawk
Tangerine
Cartel Land
The Russian Woodpecker
Creed
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Look of Silence
Room
The Wolfpack

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What We Do in the Shadows
Mad Max: Fury Road
It Follows
Ex Machina
Room
The Martian

As is the annual tradition, there are about a dozen films I meant to see, but still haven't made time for yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In no particular order:
Force Awakens
The Martian
Mad Max Fury Road
Inside Out
Tomorrowland
Avengers Age of Ultron
Ant-Man

I also enjoyed Jurassic World and MI: Rogue Nation. Creed has only just come out in the UK and I haven't seen it yet, but I imagine that might have been on my favourites list as well.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down