Topic: Callout for space resource advice!!

Alright, buds. I'm rapidly approaching the end of the last episode of the Hyacinth sci-fi draft. Editing is next. So here's the deal:

I need book, documentary, article, and/or movie recommendations for things related to the technicalities of working in space. Doesn't matter if you haven't read my script. I just need sources for space technology and procedure so I can bathe my brain in it.

During editing, I will find the balance between audience-legibility and technical jargon, but I'd like to have SOME idea of what such jargon might be and sound like, without being a total idiot.

So how bout it? I've seen Apollo 13 and such, read stuff here and there. But hit me with whatever you know is a decent source of approachable info.
GO!

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Callout for space resource advice!!

Anyone have any resources for deep-sea diving operations like drilling? I figure that would play well into my overall vibe, too.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You could read "The Martian." (Most of the specifics don't make it into the movie, naturally.) The miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon" is chock full of good stuff, but it might be less futuristic than you're hoping for. ("Can We Do This?", "Apollo One," "We Have Cleared the Tower," "Spider," and "That's All There Is," especially. These are episodes I specifically recall include some amount of technical space stuff.)

I'll bet someone's written an outstanding anthology of space-related accidents and emergencies.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

it might be less futuristic than you're hoping for.

No problem! I'm looking for the tech part. Doesn't need to be inherently futuristic.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anything by Kim Stanley Robinson is probably a safe bet, if you're okay with an extrapolated near-future-speak discussion of said tech. (He said as Brian's advocate.)

Last edited by Abbie (2016-10-11 03:41:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down