Topic: "This Is Fine" — Abbie and Teague Discuss Happy Trends in Filmmaking

Abbie and I stumbled into a fun conversation in the movie posters thread, which we carried over into a funner and totally dispiriting standalone podcast episode!

This Is Fine

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +6 Thumbs down

Re: "This Is Fine" — Abbie and Teague Discuss Happy Trends in Filmmaking

Totally agree on Batman v Superman and Justice League - the latter made me appreciate the former much more. Don't get me wrong, BvS is still quite bad, but at least it's a noble failure; Justice League is the most generic "superhero team" movie ever. Can you remember the villain's motivation in JL? Can you even remember his name? BvS was clearly Zack Snyder's attempt to recapture the feel of Watchmen (the lesson to be learned from Richard Kelly and Roland Emmerich is clear, Zack: don't try to remake your previous movie). JL is a panicked attempt to recapture the lighthearted feel of The Avengers by adding a few quips to a gloomy movie. Neither has worked, but BvS at least managed to be memorable (if only by being ridiculous at times).

(The only DC movies I've enjoyed lately are The LEGO Batman Movie and Teen Titans Go To The Movies; it's telling that both are affectionate parodies.)

Funny that you mentioned Venom - it's another Justice League-eqsue mess (as I mentioned here).

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I heartily approve of Teague continuing to do podcasts featuring every single one of us.

Solid talk all round and it kept me up thinking instead of being sensible and going to sleep. The Top 10 Box Office comparison from today to 20 years ago made me go and check the worldwide Top 10 of every single year in the past twenty years and chart just how many originals, sequels, adaptations, remakes and such there were. Now, it was a bit of a rush-job - so it may not be entirely accurate

https://i.imgur.com/J1hSZhC.png
https://i.imgur.com/aJ1C7fj.png

Some Observations

- 1993, 1994 and 1996 are the only years without a sequel/prequel/interquel/whatever in the Top 10.
- 2011, 2012 and 2017 are the only years without a single original film in the Top 10.
- This year is looking like it will also be a year without a single original film in the Top 10.
- The last time at least half of a years Top 10 were original films was in 2000.
- Sequels have taken up at least half of a years Top 10 (apart from in 2005) since 2002.
- The Top 10 list for 2011 was full of sequels apart from one, a reboot of The Smurfs.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2018-12-11 03:39:41)

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

Meanwhile, at the theater:

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

ha

Good delivery.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

heh

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Related to the "there's no artistic intention behind these framing/editing/etc. choices" portion of this conversation, Lucrecia Martel recently revealed that Marvel approached her to direct the upcoming Black Widow movie—well, to be more precise, half of it.

One unexpected option was Argentinian director Lucrecia Martel, whose latest movie, Zama, is an elaborate and slow-moving art film about 18th century Spanish colonialism. Basically, she’s about as far from the Hollywood studio franchise system as you can get, and she’s not particularly impressed by the MCU. Speaking to Daily Pioneer, she describes meeting with Marvel alongside other female filmmakers, where executives told her, “Don’t worry about the action scenes, we will take care of that.” [Source.]

There are, of course, people who are calling her "elitist" for wanting to direct the entirety of her own movie, which, well. Le sigh.

Look: "this some bullshit," etc..

But.

...if we're gonna have ten cooks in the kitchen anyway...

...and these movies aren't going to represent anybody's particular vision anyway...

...let's go whole hog! Have a good fight-scene director direct the fight scenes; and have a good drama director direct the dramatic scenes; and have a good comedy director direct the comedy scenes; and have a good alien-robot-spaceship-fight-battle director direct the alien-robot-spaceship-fight-battle scenes.

Makin' jobs!

We can even have a good fight actor play fighting Spiderman; and have a good drama actor play drama Spiderman; and have a good comedy actor play comedy Spiderman; and have a good... CG performance... play alien-robot-spaceship-fight-battle Spiderman!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

The DGA would fight that to the bitter end, but the WGA would shrug and say Why Not, because it's already exactly like that for writers.

Teague wrote:

We can even have a good fight actor play fighting Spiderman; and have a good drama actor play drama Spiderman; and have a good comedy actor play comedy Spiderman; and have a good... CG performance... play alien-robot-spaceship-fight-battle Spiderman!

Did you just re-invent Power Rangers?

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

The DGA would fight that to the bitter end, but the WGA would shrug and say Why Not, because it's already exactly like that for writers.

Ha! I was just kidding around, but yeah — totally didn't think of that.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: "Show-nothing marketing campaigns for tell-nothing movies"—

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3KDZfEWAAAbqfZ.jpg:large

"Who cares whether Tom's ability to give a good performance is compromised, thus weakening the movie's ability to stand on its own when it no longer has the Disney marketing juggernaut behind it? At least this way the nerds will clap and cheer harder opening night when they're surprised by the CG blob he's punching."

Last edited by Abbie (2019-04-02 21:14:46)

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/918/126/241.gif

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | 500px Gallery

Thumbs up Thumbs down