Topic: The IMDb Top 250 Checklist

Ever wondered how many of IMDb's Top 250 movies you've seen? Well now there is a spreadsheet to keep track.

The list is ever changing but is up to date as of 10/01/2018 (01/10/2018 for y'all American folks). The document is editable so feel free to add yourself to it. If you have spreadsheet questions or need help adding yourself - touch base with my spreadsheet slave, Faldor tongue.

To add levels of complication

For the casual players:

Try and complete the list in 2018 - strike off anything you have already seen.

For the serious players:

Try and complete the list in 2018 from scratch. That gives you 355 days to watch 250 movies.

Keep yourself up to date and, have fun!

Last edited by Regan (2018-01-10 19:25:40)

Hurroo

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: The IMDb Top 250 Checklist

For reference:

Movies sorted in order of shortest first -
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?groups … untime,asc

Movies sorted in order of longest first -
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?groups … ntime,desc

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just a heads up, there's some gubbins before the url in the link to the spreadsheet that you might wanna fix. Added myself to it though!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A rogue space caused the error. It's fixed now.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm. I don't plan on *trying* to watch all of them but I'll add my name and fill out what I've done. Cool idea.

Edit: Froze the top row so it stays visible as you scroll down.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I'm forever dilly-dallying searching for stuff to watch to the point that I spend more time searching than watching a movie that a list makes sense.

(I have done the IMDb Top 250 as a goal a few years ago but many I can't remember and the list is always in flux)

The list is more of a way to cut the time I spend humming and harring over what to watch.

Last edited by Regan (2018-01-11 01:44:03)

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, someone fucked it up whilst I was adding y's to myself. Order got completely out of ... well, order. I tried restoring the order and now, it's apparently fucked up.

At least the order of movies is correct.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Really interesting project, and interesting to see where various films fall.  There’s clearly a bias toward more recent films, but I guess that’s to be expected.  (Blade Runner 2049, while a very fine film, is emphatically not better than the original, and while I love Studio Ghibli as much as the next person, they are probably overrepresented.)

What really struck me though, and apologies for drifting into a topic probably nobody cares about for a second, was Fellini’s films.  Basically all the other classic art-house filmmakers are represented by the films you’d expect.  So Kurosawa’s got The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon, Ran, etc.  Bergman is represented by The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona. 

But for Fellini, you’ve got 8½, which you’d expect, but not La Dolce Vita, or Amarcord and La Strada, both of which won Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film.   His only other film looks to be Nights of Cabiria, which, to be fair, did also win the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, but I wouldn’t say is as well-known as the others.  I happen to absolutely love it, but it’s odd next to the omission of La Dolce Vita in particular, which was a Big Important Film in its time.

And, looking at people's responses so far, next time I’m shaking my fist at you youngins and telling you to get off my lawn, I’ll also have to add “Watch more Chaplin!”

Addendum:

Tomahawk wrote:

Yeah, someone fucked it up whilst I was adding y's to myself. Order got completely out of ... well, order. I tried restoring the order and now, it's apparently fucked up.

At least the order of movies is correct.

Oops!  Reeeeally sorry, that was probably me not knowing how Google Docs work.  I thought I was playing with a local copy.  Obviously not.  Sorry 'bout that!

Last edited by sellew (2018-01-10 23:14:57)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor fixed it. Let us take a moment to appreciate the excel boffin.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And also probably "View revision history". tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

And also probably "View revision history". tongue

The last revision saved was a few hours old and would have lost hours of Regan typing runtimes in by hand!

I don't really know much about spreadsheets, I just type "How do I..." into google and then I know things  cool

Extended Edition - 140 Solo: A Star Wars Story!
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Google, how do I fly a B212 helicopter?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn is now on a watch list

Last edited by Regan (2018-01-11 01:21:25)

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Get your operator to upload a pilot program, duh.

Faldor wrote:

...I just type "How do I..." into google and then I know things  cool

Remove the "How do I" from the queries and that's how I get most of my professional technical knowledge.

Thought #1: I have seen no films.

Thought #2: My girlfriend has seen all of the films.

Thought #3: I resign as legitimate professional in the cinema industry.

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I bow to your girl friends movie watching greatness.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

Hmm. I don't plan on *trying* to watch all of them but I'll add my name and fill out what I've done. Cool idea.

Edit: Froze the top row so it stays visible as you scroll down.

Ah. I didn't notice that but good call.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also can we get less retina searing in the green, 'kay, thanks.

I'll show it to Steph but I don't think she'd be interested. I'm sitting there at the lowest by far at 20% and I'm sure she's seen even less of them than me.

The last time I touched excel in any walk of my life - it was on a windows '95 computer. The less I have to deal with it the better. I wasn't prepared to even google "How do i..." Plus... I think Faldor is being modest. He solved a bunch of things I wasn't prepared to google whilst hungover in seconds.

@Boter - it's a list for my sanity really. It's open to edit so anyone can keep themselves on top of what they have seen. No ones keeping score. Well...no-ones gone for the ridiculous serious player option as of yet... but good luck to em! Lols tongue

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seeing Three Billboards, Deathly Hallows Part 2, and Hacksaw Ridge on here gives me physical pain.

/being a snob

My cinema headache aside, this is a fantastic idea!

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-01-11 02:42:58)

Regan wrote:

@Boter - it's a list for my sanity really. It's open to edit so anyone can keep themselves on top of what they have seen. No ones keeping score. Well...no-ones gone for the ridiculous serious player option as of yet... but good luck to em! Lols tongue

I'm going for the "so casual he doesn't even take his socks off" player option: I'm not gonna aim to finish that list by Dec 31st, but I'll do my best to significantly raise my percentage.

Last edited by Saniss (2018-01-11 09:59:48)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

Also can we get less retina searing in the green, 'kay, thanks.

Happy now!?

Extended Edition - 140 Solo: A Star Wars Story!
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Suzie, Sellew and Regan have me whupped.

(Damn Suzie, whoever-you-are.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Spreadsheet Thingy: All columns up through Saniss are protected; I'm trying to move Steph next to me just for easy "wait who it Steph ohhh that Steph". Not sure if protection is intentional. (I can still edit contents of the column but not move.)

Also, The Intouchables is probably supposed to be The Untouchables.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down