Re: Starcraft II

Yeah, yeah. I have literally nothing to stand on in this argument, I'm just sniping easy argument points from every direction and running from each post. big_smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And others are happy paying for new games smile I think we're just talking past each other, and I apologize for upsetting you enough to use italics in your reply. We'll be using all caps soon at this rate!

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nah, not upset. Just confused by you gamer folk.

It has been recently brought to my attention that without video games, comic books, and Star Trek, I'm actually not a geek at all. Identity crisis. You know.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Nah, not upset. Just confused by you gamer folk.

I'm actually not a gamer, but I still remember the joy I felt when after a lifetime of only reading either library books or ones my older cousin gave me, I realized I could actually BUY hardcovers of books I wanted. I'm never going back to paperbacks smile

It has been recently brought to my attention that without video games, comic books, and Star Trek, I'm actually not a geek at all. Identity crisis. You know.

Well, 'film geeks' are looked down at by the better class of nerd.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Because "film geeks" are more usually pretentious douchebags and not nerds.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All geeks are pretentious douchebags. Comes with the territory. The trick to not being totally unbearable is to know just when to stop taking yourself so damn seriously.

I continue to struggle with that last part.

I'm never going back to paperbacks.

One of my most prized possessions is a hardcover copy of my all-time favorite novel, bought for two dollars from a used bookstore long after it had gone out of print. The dust jacket is ragged, the pages are musty and slightly yellowed, there are coffee stains on the inside front cover, and I love it with an almost sexual intensity.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In related news, I'm going to stop listening to Down In Front, because I only watch movies that are in the public domain. I just don't see what the fuss about these new fancy movies is about.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My argument has less to do with how recent a game is, and more to do with what it costs next to what I'd be willing to pay. Incidentally the new ones are too expensive. It's worth mentioning that I don't own DVDs and rarely see movies in the theaters.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

My argument has less to do with how recent a game is, and more to do with what it costs next to what I'd be willing to pay. Incidentally the new ones are too expensive. It's worth mentioning that I don't own DVDs and rarely see movies in the theaters.

So what exactly is your ceiling for per-hour entertainment? If it's, like, an intense blow job, are you willing to go up to like $5 per hour, or are you always stuck in the tens of cents?

I personally am willing to spend up to about $30, if it's something like a great meal, but typically try to hit around $10-$15, for like a movie, or a show, or Putt Putt, or something. $60 for a game that I've already put 20 hours into is a steal.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Entertainment is not created equal. I'd enjoy an hour of many things more than an hour of gaming, so on.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would never pay more than a hundred dollars for a piece of art to hang on my wall, but I am in no way surprised people pay literally millions to do so.  I recognize that I may not be able to see what they see, and Im not the guy to stare at a piece of art for hours in a museum like some do.  But I understand the compulsion to do so.

Any time you spend money on entertainment, its a gamble.  This is nothing new.  How many movies do you pay for that you regret paying for?  Tons.  The value of a piece of entertainment is relative to your experiences with it.  I spent 50 bucks on Final Fantasy 7 when it came out.  My experiences  with it are literally clocking 120 hours on it, with 3 other guys in my dorm as we were completists and would not rest until we found every unlockable before we beat the game.  Those times remain vivid as a great college memory.  That same year, I also spent 3 dollars renting "Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi" for PS1, and spent roughly 15 minutes on it before I said, "This sucks," and returned it.

Under Teague's logic, the 3 dollars spent on SW:MoTK is a more sensible cost than the 50 I spent on FF7.  I just don't believe you can quantify value that way.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The cornerstone of my point is that I'm not a fan of games at any price. I'm not quantifying value for everyone, I'm quantifying the desire I have to spend a certain amount of money on it. That's all.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

I am of the opinion that what entertains you is a living thing, and when you experience something, matters.  All of the DiF crew had a great time seeing Inception when it came out in theaters.  We organized a huge group, had drinks before and stimulating conversation after.  Those moments are framed against when we saw it...opening week, before the rest of the world had informed us what they thought of it.  I would much rather have had that, then to catch the movie on netflix streaming.

Which isn't to say that its bad to see it at home well after release.  It's not at all, its just different.  I saw Vertigo with my father when I was 15.  Had I discovered it while in school, I might have had a deeper insight because of my studies, but there's no way I would trade the TIME that I saw that movie with any other.  We happened to pay 3 bucks for the rental, but I would pay anything, in retrospect.

When it comes to video games, the night Editor crew on The Amazing Race season 12 had an after hours Halo 3 ritual every night after work.  I'd work with my good friends all night, and then go home so we could jump on XBox live and we'd all chat and play until the sun came up.  There was no way I could wait until it was cheaper.  Its not just about the social aspect either, because I'm GLAD I played the 50 bucks for Silent Hill 2 came out.  Playing that by myself with the lights out gave me more legitimate scares than any horror movie I've ever seen.  Could it have done that three years later when I could have paid ten bucks?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I wouldn't trade it though.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

The cornerstone of my point is that I'm not a fan of games at any price. I'm not quantifying value for everyone, I'm quantifying the desire I have to spend a certain amount of money on it. That's all.

Fair enough but you had predicated this on a "I just don't understand you gamer folk..."

So I answered in respect to that.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My point being I don't think I understand all the working parts of a compulsion to play games, and conclude I must be missing something, because I'm not about to spend all that money on a game.

We have now come full circle.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague doesn't understand 'fun.'

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-08-02 23:30:24)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*sigh* I should never have said anything.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nonsense. Teague just has a different idea of "fun." His "fun" involves making out with girls.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Nonsense. Teague just has a different idea of "fun." His "fun" involves making out with girls.

Some of us are able to make out with girls, and play video games. Sometimes at the same time.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You've either got mad skills or a deeply disappointed girlfriend.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One of my (super hot and crazy-pregnant) wife's favorite things to do is play Super Mario for Wii on the couch with me.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hehe... "crazy-pregnant" because she's getting big, or "crazy-pregnant" like OH MY GOD!  GET ME NINE DOUGHNUTS RIGHT NOW?!

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

One of my (super hot and crazy-pregnant) wife's favorite things to do is play Super Mario for Wii on the couch with me.

Can you give mine whatever you give yours? I'd like a SCII partner, but she'd rather spin yarn.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...I think you just asked Eddie to fuck your wife.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

...I think you just asked Eddie to fuck your wife.

Yeah, I realized that a little too late…

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down