Re: Sometimes I fear I have no taste

Didn't DMC go off on a 1-hour tangent to some island with cannibals, and then there's a duel atop a wheel or something?

I remember thinking 'where is this film going?'. Not in that good way where you can't predict what will happen next, but in that 'this film has spent so long on this pointless track I've lost interest' way.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love At World's End as much or maybe even slightly more than Dead Man's Chest (both of which are superior to Curse of the Black Pearl because they have Davy Jones).  All of Dorkman's criticisms are valid, but those do not occur to me when I'm too busy masturbating openly to the idea of living in this world and doing the things these characters are doing.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really liked CotBP, largely for Depp's naked thievery of the story and because I had extremely low expectations for a Disney movie made from a theme park ride.

I was prepared for the second movie to be more about Jack, altho I still wanted it told from Will and Elizabeth's POV. But it was much more of an ensemble piece and way too convoluted when it came to the action sequences. And I was really, really ready for Pintel and Ragetti to go off and get gay married and stop interrupting the movie, which they had no business being in. By the time the big barrel/wheel thing starts rolling, and they're still fighting on it, I had tuned out. The movie was over for me, even tho I really liked Davy Jones. They should have had Jack go off and then Will learn that Jack was in trouble with Davy Jones and go after him.

I actually liked the pirate council in the third movie, partly because I just didn't care much anymore about the threads that were left from the second movie, especially after Bootstrap Bill screwed up his own rescue. And I really liked how Elizabeth was able to sort of take back center stage from Jack.

And Secret Window sucked so hard it registered on severe weather alert systems, altho it was not as bad as Hide & Seek, the Dinero/Fanning fiasco that came a year later and seemed to steal from it.

Last edited by Zarban (2010-08-05 03:58:23)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Even though this forum about bad taste has turned into a will-they/won't-they relationship about the Pirates trilogy, I'll continue on the tangent.

COTBP is one of my favorite fantasy films because Jack Sparrow is only crazy in small bursts. They even hang a lantern on it with the stories of how he gets off the island that Barbossa left him on. Love, love, love that movie.

DMC, however, fell short (or considering the runtime LONG) on my expectations.

Something was brought up to me not too long ago and I think it rings pretty true: Will and Elizabeth's story could/should have ended in the first film and the sequels could/should have been about how Jack Sparrow effects people's lives while learning about his past.

Be that as it may, I hated the love triangle aspect (or pyramid when you add Norrington) and I hated the fact that by the time they reach the chest I think the movie should be almost over.

The only redeeming qualities to the movie are the inventive set pieces, the aforementioned "jar of dirt" dance, and the big reveal in the last 2 minutes of the film. Other than that, I found it pretty "meh".

AWE is dead to me. Just recently watched all three of these (USA network had them playing back-to-back) and I honestly did not remember a single thing from the movie except the whirlpool fight (and even that is just fleeting memories of swinging from ship to ship).

Thumbs up Thumbs down