Topic: The Crow

A slim weekend, only two established DIF-folks were available for commentating, which gave us an opportunity to look at a movie we might not have otherwise looked at. And I'm really glad we did.

This might be a controversial one.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Crow

Shit yeah. Love this movie. How can anyone hate on this:

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/249435/the-crow-2-3-1.gif

Haven't seen it in years, so this'll be a good excuse to watch it. I have the comic, a numbered hardcover, which flipping through I realize I've never really read. Probably should read it as well smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, that pic is going to get annoying on my slow connection smile

Fun commentary. At first I thought all the references you guys made to "Nightmare" were to Nightmare on Elm Street, as that's the movie I think of when I hear it, which naturally led to some confusion. Then you mentioned your commentary for "Nightmare", and I'm like, "What?" You probably should do Elm Street at some point.

I am surprised nobody jumped on the critic quote on the DVD case comparing the movie to the "original Batman". Funny, it looked nothing like the 1960's movie...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Totally love the movie.  Commentary was fun but again...comic books are a medium, not a genre.  I wouldn't place this or Watchmen as the greatest *air quote*  Comic Book movie adaptation, though.

Also, forget that Bruce Lee curse, shit.  Shannon Lee and Linda Lee Caldwell are alive and well.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've got a weird mental block with "The Crow." I've seen it several times, including in the theater when it came out originally. I like it just fine; it's a good movie. But every single time it comes up, I'm all, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that."

It's like I lack the ability to remember from one day to the next that this movie exists.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This was the first movie I ever watched when i started film school, I loved it then and I love it now.

Thats really all i have to say on the matter.

Although i have to say this commentary had a reeeaaaaalllly interesting dynamic, we have Teague + Cloe and Jake being a third wheel, the spectrum ran from hysterically hilarious to just downright awkward. Yeah, it was definitely a different kind of commentary.

Also @ Invid: Did you just miss the 10 mins they spent talking about that quote or what?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Cloe didn't say half as much as Jake, I'm curious how you got that vibe. What was awkward?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not quite sure really...

The best way i can put it into words is this felt like a quiet little date night thing that Jake decided to tag along for and we just ended up listening to. Obviously that's exaggerating the feeling ALOT but that's best way I can think to put it. It just sort of had that underlying vibe of when you get stuck around people that have a whole other layer to their relationship and you aren't involved in it in any way shape or form.

And I fully accept that I could very easily be reading a shit ton into the spaces between (It's been a very very shitty week for me...so I could just be looking for an escape...ugh, how pitiful is that).

EDIT: Also, I wonder if the fact that this is like the ONLY commentary with only 3 people on it has anything to do with it hmm

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-08-02 22:13:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Also @ Invid: Did you just miss the 10 mins they spent talking about that quote or what?

It's possible. I think I got up to make a sandwich at some point smile I remember the quote being mentioned, and they themselves comparing the movie to Tim Burton's Batman, but don't remember linking it to the "original" Batman movie. With luck if they did I'll catch it on a second listen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Cloe didn't say half as much as Jake, I'm curious how you got that vibe. What was awkward?

Maybe he just paid much more attention to the female voice, so looking back on it it seemed she had spoken much more then she had.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Apollo 13 and Monsters, Inc. had three people. wink

I agree the show has a different chemistry to it than usual, but I think that's mostly that the panel is only two people, who you rarely hear on the show, who have never been on the show together before. They're a little less comfortable leaping into the hardcore analysis and structure stuff than the seventy-episode veterans.

Anyway. I like this episode. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice chat by the Shorthanded DIFers. A couple of items i felt worth adding. 1) James O'Barr's real fiancee was apparently the stimulus to creating "the Crow." 2) David patrick kelly was one of the hoods. "Warriors..come out to play-ay!."
I also could not help but think of "Dragon- the bruce Lee story." Although it came out a year earlier, I remember watching it shortly after Brandon's Death. I thought that movie presented the Male Lee Curse in an interesting way. Bruce having to literally battle his demons during bouts of Unconsciousness. Since I don't forsee "Dragon" getting the DIF treatment. I wonder what Eddie Doty thought of the presentation and fight scenes re: Jeet Kune Do in that film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

frankasu03 wrote:

Since I don't forsee "Dragon" getting the DIF treatment. I wonder what Eddie Doty thought of the presentation and fight scenes re: Jeet Kune Do in that film.

It's not bad.  Jason Scott Lee trained with Jerry Poteet for the film, who was one of Bruce's original students at the Oakland school, so there is solid lineage there.  The fight scenes, were not pure JKD though.  They use Lop Sau, Pak Sau, and a bunch of other techniques that Bruce carried over from Wing Chun into JKD, along with his similar mannerisms, but at the end of the day the fights are choreographed accordingly.  It should be noted that when Bruce was choreographing Enter the Dragon he used a number of techniques that you wouldn't see many JKD parctitioners using (jump kicks, wheel kicks, etc).

It should be noted that in theory at least, JKD should look different from fighter to fighter.  If you go into most JKD schools these days, you learn the same mix of Wing Chun, Kali, Silat, and boxing that Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto practiced all those years ago.  But the spirit of what Bruce taught was reduction, not addition of techniques.  He always made the analogy that a sculpter doesnt add stone to make the limbs of a statute, he chisels away the unnecessary until the true form is revealed.  Bruce was about REDUCING the techniques in all styles until you were left with what worked for you.  It sounds simple, but in the martial arts world at the time this was revolutionary.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-08-03 19:47:47)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cool. Thanks for the insight. The movie displayed so many styles, I could not keep track. Rob Cohen's commentary did a fairly good job differentiating reality from storytelling. However, the cause of his severe back injury perplexed me. In the movie, it's from a cheap kick to the back. In "Bruce Lee- A warrior's Journey," it was a weighlifting injury that put him in traction. So many mysteries re: Lee's life. also wondered if any saw the History Channel's "How Bruce Lee changed the world?" That doc credits lee with giving us MMA. Fortunately, Bruce is not responsible for 'Affliction' Shirts, hehe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bruce did fight a guy in his school in order to teach white students.  This is true.  The fight was NOTHING like the movie though and the guy did not take a cheap shot and paralize Bruce.  Bruce was trying to power squat too much and hurt his back, and while he was healing (only a matter of weeks) he wrote the bulk of The Tao of Jeet Kune Do.  On the set of The Big Boss, a local Thai Boxer did challenge Bruce, and Bruce beat the shit out of him.  It wasn't the same guy from the challenge though, as the movie states. 

And while Bruce's influence cannot be overstated, lets not be hasty and say he created Modern MMA.  You can argue he set the stage for it, but the Gracie family of Brazil is singularly responsible for creating the UFC and pitting styles against styles.  Bruce Lee's overarching philosophy of utilizing what works and abandoning what doesn't was ultimately proven in the UFC.  In other words, Bruce created a hypothesis and 25 years later the experiment that was the UFC proved him right.  I can tell you that I have been personally affected by the works of both Bruce Lee and the Gracie family equally. 

BTW, why no one has made a movie about the life of Helio Gracie is beyond me.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The prototype back from the dead revenge story, that's never been done justice on film, remains The Count of Monte Cristo. For some reason, the Crow didn't hit me the same way. Maybe I was just looking for the body double the whole time, but of the two adaptations, I prefer Spawn, and I'm surpised that never came up here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Do not even get me fucking started on the Spawn movie.

The animated series did about as best as you could do with that source material.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What, just because the creator honestly didn't care about story and just wanted to draw cool images... he wanted the control that comes with being sole creator, but only wanted to do half the job. Some artists should really just do paintings instead of comics smile I wonder if I still have the issues Dave Sim and Alan Moore wrote...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Slight tangent, I loved the hell out of Supreme because you had Alan Moore writing a character that was essentially his view of Superman, and you had Rob fucking LIEFELD drawing it.  Meaning, you had fascinatingly insane writing drawn by an artist who cannot draw hands or feet and every face is scrunched up or flashing teeth.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TimK wrote:

The prototype back from the dead revenge story, that's never been done justice on film, remains The Count of Monte Cristo.

What was wrong with the 2002 Caviezel/Pearce adaptation?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never dressed up as Indiana Jones for Halloween, by the way.

Gregory Harbin wrote:
TimK wrote:

The prototype back from the dead revenge story, that's never been done justice on film, remains The Count of Monte Cristo.

What was wrong with the 2002 Caviezel/Pearce adaptation?

That movie removed all the patience and ruthlessness of the character and let the story devolve into a simple sword fight. In the book, which is just too freakin' long to make a two hour movie, Dantes spends years systematically destroying the very things that make his enemies themselves. That takes balls.

But when I said the story had never been done justice, I forgot about oldboy. Shame on me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for bringing back the love to this movie and comic. They were a huge influence on me in high school. I remember being deeply affected by the experience of reading the comic, to the point of feeling physically ill. It tries so hard to create despair and rage, and at the time I was completely taken with it. I wish the movie had been able to capture that more, but I agree that a straight adaptation wouldn't have worked.

Douchey-nerd footnote: The electrical tape on his arms came from the comic. In that version, he had to stay focused on his rage or he would lose his power and become vulnerable or "die" again. So there's a scene in the comic in which he's reminiscing about his girlfriend/fiancee/wife while he's slicing his arms with a straight razor to amplify and focus the pain. Those wounds wouldn't heal though, because they were self-inflicted. Hence the tape. (It's been a while, but I don't think I made all that up...)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, look who's back!  First off, sorry for my absence, and the absence of show notes; I promise they'll be returning.

I wish I'd been there for this one, because I too love this movie.  I watched it endlessly back in high school, and now it falls into that weird category of films I love, but don't watch much anymore.  I dug up a copy to watch with the commentary, and that was the first time I had watched it in years.

I've always thought of this film as romantic, and looking back I think this film is one of the reasons I'm the hopeless romantic that I am.  The idea of vengeance from the grave, that "I love you so much I'm going to come back to life and kill the fuck out of those bastards" thing. 

The soundtrack was also a big influence on me.  It was the beginning of my love for Nine Inch Nails, and the start of my appreciation of music I had previously written off as just loud and obnoxious.

So yeah, good flick, good commentary.