Topic: Chemically Unbalanced

Something I worked on my last year of college. A few notes:

1. I did NOT write this. A friend of mine did. I did the camera-work/directing and editing.
2. I went to college for theater, but grew more towards film in the latter years. My college didn't have a film program so... I learned as I worked at it.
3. This is, in my opinion, the best episode of the ones I worked on. Don't worry about being lost, there's a mini-recap of what's happened so far in this particular episode.
4. I repeat, I did NOT write this. smile

Looking for feedback/criticism. Bring it on, guys. Other than that, I hope you enjoy. smile

Chemically Unbalanced, Episode 13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-_hJJ7zlo8

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Chemically Unbalanced

In terms of directing, I'm no expert, but I think it's a basic mistake to present characters on the right and left and then cut to the opposite side so they then appear left and right. I forget what they call it, but there's a term for crossing that 180 degree line.

Also, nearly all the discussion shots are framed really tight. You didn't have a master shot (a medium or long shot where you can see all the characters and their environment) to intersperse with the close ups.

There's some good back-and-forth and dialog overlapping, tho.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

It's called breaking 180.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, it's something I didn't notice until I was editing the episode and most of the episodes were edited after I graduated, i.e. no chance for reshoots (for that episode, at least).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

It's called breaking 180.

Or "crossing the 180 line" or "crossing the line."

By the way, thanks Zarban. Appreciate the feedback.

Thumbs up Thumbs down