Topic: Share your favorite scripts

I know that at least some people here like to read screenplays. With the recent discussion of Leigh Brackett's draft of the Star Wars sequel, and then some talk about the evolution of Terminator 4 from page to screen, I thought it might be fun to pass around some links to scripts that we think are worth reading.

Here's the link Shifty [NOT REALLY I MEANT SWITCH IGNORE ME HA HA] posted to the T4 draft:

http://screenplayexplorer.com/wp-conten … vation.pdf

And here's Leigh Brackett's Star Wars sequel:

http://www.mypdfscripts.com/screenplays … kett-draft

For my part, I've got two. Some years back Peter Hyams and Jim Cameron wrote a script called "Bright Angel Falling." Now, the story I heard, which may or may not be apocryphal, is that the script made the rounds for a few months, and then we ended up with "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact," both of which are distinguished from "Bright Angel Falling" primarily in that they have different titles. It's a good read, better than either of those finished films turned out to be in my opinion.

Here it is on mypdfscripts; I haven't checked to see that it's the same as the copy I have, but it probably is.

http://www.mypdfscripts.com/unproduced/ … el-falling

The other one I have I'm not gonna post here directly, 'cause I haven't been able to find a working link to it on the Web, and I don't wanna get dinged for copyright infringement. It's Shane Carruth's script for his much-rumored follow-up to "Primer," called "A Topiary." This, ladies and gentlemen, is the script that broke Teague Chrystie. It's 264 pages, and at least for me, absolutely engrossing. I read it in a single sitting. It took me eight hours, but it was a single sitting.

Note that this one is rumored to be in the early stages of preproduction right now, so don't ask me for a copy if you want to go into the film unspoiled.

What are some scripts that you guys think are worth reading?

(Note for the record: There's zero intent to infringe copyright here. I won't speak for anybody else, but my only motivation in reading unpublished scripts is because the best way to get better at writing them is by reading them.)

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-09-10 23:19:03)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Share your favorite scripts

"A Topiary" is more dense than dense things.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have no scripts, but would love to find one. Way back when, post BATMAN, there was talk that Tim Burton was going to turn the Japanese comic Mai the Psychic Girl into a rock opera with Winona Ryder in the lead and music by The Sparks. I'm damned curious to see what he was going to do with it. Wiki says Burton has the rights again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai,_the_Psychic_Girl

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shifty huh..  I didn't know my new name was Shifty...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh god dammit. Sorry, Switch. I fix.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Camerogeddon is interesting, if only to compare and contrast with the other two movies (and the currently accepted "tug it with gravity" plan for these sorts of things, which appears in none of the three).

It's also worth it for the lovely alternative to Armageddon's "Get the book! Get the book!"

"Get the peanuts! Get the peanuts!"

(Seriously. Same tone, too.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"A Topiary" defies the word "dense". One "A Topiary" is equal to seventeen "denses".

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was not being funny with my post. It is more dense than dense things.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, I wasn't being funny either. It is extremely dense. Years from now, high schools nationwide will be teaching AP "A Topiary".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am not being funny with this post either.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If I ever express the desire to read a 264-page script written by the PRIMER guy, call the police, for I am the victim of identity theft.

Anyway. In general, MyPDFScripts is becoming a solid resource for reading scripts. Drew's Script-O-Rama is a classic resource, though with many of those NOT being in PDF format, format can sometimes be a bit wonky.

I also recommend lurking around Done Deal Pro -- specifically the "Writers & Scripts" area -- where they pass around hard to find and sometimes in-development scripts. I don't recommend trying to post there to substantively discuss writing, though. They'll just quote SAVE THE CAT at you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know why this Frank Darabont adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451" hasn't been made yet, but I want to punch the man responsible. I always imagined the book to be, at heart, an action movie under a mask of social commentary, and Darabont brings out the best of both of those.

EDIT: And how about this Joss Whedon script, which can best be described as "Die Hard on a Bridge"? It isn't great, but it's a lot of fun to read.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2010-09-11 01:08:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Once upon a time I had a copy of Darabont's Indy 4 script. Didn't get around to reading it promptly, and now I can't find the damn thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Once upon a time I had a copy of Darabont's Indy 4 script. Didn't get around to reading it promptly, and now I can't find the damn thing.

I think Teague has a copy.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Speaking of, I bought SAVE THE CAT a couple of months ago.  Haven't read it yet.  I bought the book before I read Dorkman's reaction to it on his blog.  I have STORY by that McGee chap.  I've read it part way.  lots of interesting one-liners in that one.  And of course I have SCREENPLAY.  I need to get a couple of Goldman books on the craft though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I've got a copy of the Darabont Indy4 script at home.  I'll look once I get home.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DoctorSubmarine wrote:

I don't know why this Frank Darabont adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451" hasn't been made yet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451#Adaptations

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've got it somewhere. I remember being sharply disappointed by its lack of genius and personally affronted by the presence of the fridge.

You will like this episode of Geekza, once you read Darabont's Indy script. We review it. Me, Brian, Cloe Z.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I remember Chloe's reaction to Brian yelling about the fridge in the Darabont script from that episode.  good times.  Also, is that the episode where Chloe raps to your beat-boxing and Brian was like an hour late?

Last edited by switch (2010-09-11 01:41:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, different episode. smile

Again, all Geekza recordings still in existence are online, for better or worse. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've got the Indy4 Darabont script if anyone is still in need. (Still need to finish reading it myself though, stupid life always getting in the way).

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Mail me a copy? I'll put it back in my to-read pile. jefferyharrell@gmail.com

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Done.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

switch wrote:

Shifty huh..  I didn't know my new name was Shifty...

I'm the only Shifty around here....unless, of course, someone else registers and calls themself Shifty....then can I be known as the Scottish one? Oh, unless, of course, the new Shifty is from Scotland.....then I suppose I'd be Shifty 1. Oh, but then people may call me The Shifty One and that's rubbish...then I suppose Mr Bench will do. Oh, then people may think I'm being an arrogant prick.....

My head hurts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down