Topic: Release, Record: 11/9

Saturday at 3:00 PM PST, we sit down with the director of BACKYARD BLOCKBUSTERS to talk about his documentary that we're all in, and also, uh, do a commentary for THE AVENGERS.

Backyard Blockbusters is a documentary about fanfilms, which is where all the DIF folks come from and originally met, and it's awesome. Coming soon to a place-to-see-it near you, as yet undisclosed. Alas! We shall talk fanfilms and our history and all that fun stuff.

Oh yeah, then we'll do the AVENGERS commentary.

Wanna join us? The live recordings happen at downinfront.net/live. We provide a video stream with high-quality audio, and a chat room for the other friends in your head. We record in Los Angeles, so the schedule is posted in Pacific Standard Time. If you want to make sure you have the right time, this Google search tells you what time it is in LA right now.

Here is an example of what the live stream looks like. This is a ten-minute clip from the Chinatown commentary.

This first post is updated weekly, for recent replies, go to the end of the thread. Replies below this are for previous weeks.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: Release, Record: 11/9

I have never seen the Moon poster without all that banding going on. Think it's intentional?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it's definitely supposed to chatter when you look at it in person. The moire effect in stills is just an offshoot.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Moon AND Chinatown? Awesome! Throw in Twins for a genetic-identity-mystery triple play!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

DAMN. I'm working. Excited for the podcast whenever it comes out, though!

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Moon AND Chinatown? Awesome! Throw in Twins for a genetic-identity-mystery triple play!

"My sister." *slap!* "My daughter." *slap!* "She's my sister AND my daughter! ...AND my twin!!"

Jack Nicholson: "...Bwhaa? o_O?"

Last edited by JackalBane (2010-09-17 09:48:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just wanted to say thanks for doing this at a time when those of us in the UK can join us. Because, if you did this in the evening I'd have to get up really early and I hate that.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is this 12:45 PDT?  I assume you guys are in California.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

We record in Los Angeles, so the schedule is posted in Pacific Standard Time. If you want to make sure you have the right time, this Google search tells you what time it is in LA right now.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Two hours and forty five minutes from now. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Put a clip from the Chinatown commentary in the first post.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you're wondering what you missed from the live chat; this is about it.

http://i51.tinypic.com/iodaaw.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And oh how we laughed and laughed.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So I take it you guys enjoyed the live broadcast? smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Definitely. Watching you guys record makes it seem less like four friends in my head and more 'just four friends'. And I like that.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Blob! Finally! Woohoo! big_smile

(going to try to make the live broadcast for that one)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Blob scared the shit out of me as a kid, I have yet to watch it since, this should be interesting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This weekend we're operating on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. PST.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My local movie theater has a bunch of 'classic' movie posters hanging all over the place. (I say 'classic' because it includes everything from "Jurassic Park" to "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".) Anyway, I walked past the poster for "Silence of the Lambs" for YEARS before I noticed, "Holy shit there's a skull on the butterfly!". It was a few more years before, "HOLY SHIT THE SKULL IS MADE OF DEAD BODIES!".

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Huh. I've always noticed the skull, but the bodies? I looked into it. First that's a real kind of moth, and they really have skull-looking markings on them.

But even at the highest rez poster I could find, I didn't see bodies.

Then I found this. The image is a portrait by a guy called Philippe Halsman, of Salvador Dali. It's called In Voluptas Mors.

Well played, Doc. Well played indeed.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also replicated more explicitly for THE DESCENT.

http://www.impawards.com/2006/posters/descent_ver2.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now that's a terrific horror movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Now that's a terrific horror movie.

Agreed.  That and 13 Ghosts are the only two movies I can remember (also I think it was an episode of The Twilight Zone when I was young) that have given me trouble sleeping after.

I've heard some good things about one called "Session 9." In fact, it's on Netflix Instant. In fact, I think I just picked a movie for tonight.

Expect a report in about an hour and a half.

TWO HOURS LATER:

What I learned is that asbestos is very, very, very bad for you.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-09-24 02:15:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1866/picture8jp.png
Yup, those are bodies all right.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down