Topic: Explorers.

I'm really proud of this commentary. I'm not very proud of myself.

Skip to 22:45 to hear our theory of Explorers.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Explorers.

First!

Lame.

Gay!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

End of line!

*locks thread*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hitler!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Godwin!

Content!

I was in high school when this came out, and skipped it I think because it seemed like a Goonies wannabe. I had an Apple //c, though, so thought that was a fun touch (once Ebay came along, one of the first things I bought was an old //c portable LCD screen just because I could).

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yet another example of DIF getting me to watch a film I'd never heard of.  That said, I probably won't be returning to it, but it did make me want to go watch Flight of the Navigator again.

never heard of this one... made me want to re-watch contact.

Hey, I'm 40 and I still like the Dark Crystal. Actually, I really await you doing that commentary. Ideally, with Trey. Will ya?

Funny, though, "Explorers" I've never seen. Maybe this one missed Sweden? I have seen everything else you talk about (flight of the navigator, goonies, last starfighter etc....) but I totally missed this one(!)

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Like I said, it came out the year of Goonies and I think the ads just made it seem like a poor Spielberg clone disguised as an Apple ad smile It may have vanished quickly from theaters. I'll probably watch/listen tonight.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Up to the part where they've just entered the ship. The idea of tests brought to mind an episode of the 80's Twilight Zone where all the kids get intelligent tests, and the smartest are killed so the government can keep the population stupid. It would be funny if the aliens leave these tests to see if humans have progressed to that level, because if we have they have to show up and wipe us out before we become a threat smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You realize that's the plot of 2001, right?

Not the wiping out part, that I know of smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After they study Bowman they decide not to... instead they send him back as a superbeing to keep us in line.

Not that you can really get that from the MOVIE, o'course, but that's what the starbaby is there for.   In the book the first thing he does is destroy all the orbiting weapon platforms.   

You know, like babies do...

I'm living with my sister at the moment, and my 8 month old nephew is certainly good at destroying her sleep.  I imagine orbital weapons platforms wouldn't be a problem, but I think he'll have to master walking first.

You talk about what you would cut if you made a phantom edit of this, and my question is, why not actually give it a try and see if you can do it. I'd be really curious to see the result.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, recently Joe Dante attended a screening of this for QnA reasons, and one of the things he talked about was the ending.

There is actually an answer to this question, and now we know it:

They had several cuts of the film they had been working on, serving various masters, and when their deadline got moved up they picked — from three unfinished cuts — the one that had the most not-broken in it. This is the one that was pretty solid for about an hour, and really hairy in the back half-hour.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To me it seems obvious that the cop was getting the same messages from the aliens when he was
a kid, but didn't put it together. This is why he was so obsessed to finding out what he had seen.
Plus he was also getting the dreams again as an adult. The alien must have sent out the dream
message 50 years ago and now again in the time of the movie. I clearly remember all of this part of
the plot when I watched this as a kid, which I would have been 10 years old at the time in 1985.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, this one was a bit of a brain warp for me. I thought it was going to be something new because it didn't ring a bell at all, which surprised me because I grew up with the likes of Flight o' dee Navigator, D.A.R.Y.L., Clock and Dagger, and The Last Starfighter. I got about 15 minutes in before I realized that I had seen this movie when it came out and I loved it when I was nine years old. I still only remember the basic premise but I look forward to rewatching it as an adult with commentary.

Side note: This is what bugs me about almost all vampire and immortal themed fiction. I don't have a poor memory, in fact I think it's probably at least average if not a little bit better than average, but if you ask me what I was doing 30 years go, I'd really have to piece that together. Why is it that in every tv show, movie, book, etc. depicts any 500 year old immortal with perfect recall, too. I've only ever seen one movie actually address this.

Edit: Wow. So I -completely- blanked out on the third act and now I understand. I was blocking out traumatic memories from my childhood. Now it has all come back.

Last edited by Byshop (2014-10-12 21:22:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down