Topic: Dark City

Hey guys, Teague here, with the release of Dark City. (Theatrical cut.)

For this first entry in our October-long series of scary or, ha, dark, movies, things get firey as a disagreement is found between myself and Trey on the subject of Dark City’s filmmaker-audience relationship. (And, two things – one, we’re both alive and the swordfight you might think was inevitable never happened, and, two, I realize now that I agree with Trey on paper, I’m just a bitchy-boy.)

So stay tuned for an October full of scary flicks that will never be seen again by Brandon Lee because Mr. Dark City killed him, and try to remember that whenever Trey says this movie is good. As I say in the commentary, you know who else liked Dark City? Hitler.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Dark City

So I went back and relistened to this one last night and I'd forgotten how much of an angry commentary this turned into at times, holy shit guys. But I was wondering, has anything changed for Teague in the last year and a half of doing DiF in relation to this movie. Has he actually watched the entire thing? Does he still believe that which he believed before?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I probably wouldn't if I watched it again.

*crosses arms*

BUT I'M NOT GONNA

Honestly, I'll get around to it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Recently re-watched Dark City, and decided to give this a listen again.

This is probably the most frustrated I've ever been with Teague listening to any of these.
I pretty much vehemently disagree with every single point he brings up.
Thankfully Trey and Dorkman call him on it, so it makes for a pretty solid commentary.
You really oughta give it another shot at some point Teague, I would argue that not only does the movie do a great job of gradually explaining everything without resorting to exposition dumps (at least in the director's cut), but it also makes great use of visual storytelling. There's tons of clues littered throughout that help tip
you off to what's happening.

The Matrix comparisons are interesting, as watching this again, it really does manage to pull off everything the Matrix trilogy tried and failed at, and does it in a brief 95 minutes. I would say that The Matrix 1 is definitely more entertaining on an action movie level, and consequently more fun to watch, but I've definitely come around to the opinion that Dark City is the better movie.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Leave Teague alone! He's the sensitive one!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Oh, that's BEGGING for a gif.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nah, I'm really proud of this commentary, I just like the level of intellectual honesty and dedicated research I bring to the table.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Nah, I'm really proud of this commentary, I just like the level of intellectual honesty and dedicated research I bring to the table.

Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Been revisiting Dark City (saw it like 10 years ago at a sci-fi film festival and remembered almost nothing about it) and thought that I'd, if not quite stick up for Teague, at least try to articulate what is I think is a legitimate point that he was making, which the guys seemed not to really get.

I understood Teague to be saying basically this:  the crucial difference between The Matrix and Dark City is that, at least initially, the world of the matrix in The Matrix appears to be our actual world.  Neo goes to a club, works in a cubicle, has a shitty boss, etc. etc.  That then gives the viewer a way into the film, however briefly, so that when things start going haywire, there's no confusion about "is this supposed to be weird, or is this just the way this world works, or what?". 

But the matrix of Dark City, if you will -- the world before we, the viewer, know what's behind the curtain -- is clearly not our world, totally aside from the 40's/noir overlay, which has nothing to do with it.  There's the weird syringe thing by the bathtub, there's white-faced people, people fall asleep at midnight for no reason, the desk clerk changes, etc. etc.  This is all in less than the first 15 minutes.  And then we're given a sense that there's something behind the curtain, when the film hasn't really told us what's in front of the curtain.  So you don't really feel like you have any sense of where you're supposed to be.

That seems to me to be a perfectly coherent and valid point, though it didn't bother me as much as it clearly bothered Teague.  (But then again I like Last Year at Marienbad.)  However, Teague, I would definitely urge you to give it another shot.  There's enough interesting stuff there, both in itself as an intelligent sci-fi film that actually tries to be about something, and in terms of other films that it connects to thematically (The Matrix, Blade Runner, Solaris, Moon, etc.), to make it worth getting to grips with.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Did Teague ever get around to watching this again? 

I will say that this is a hard movie to watch even if you're just the slightest bit tired.  I did a lot of movie watching late night when I first saw this one and I think it took me 3 times before I got all the way through it.  That's not taking anything away from the movie as I find it really entertaining.  Something about all the character's constantly falling unconscious just made me want to join them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha. No, not yet, but I'm really amused by that theory.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just discovered today Dorkman did a commentary for the directors cut of Dark City over on Sofa Dogs.
http://sofadogs.libsyn.com/304-dark-cit … s-cut-1998

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

I just discovered today Dorkman did a commentary for the directors cut of Dark City over on Sofa Dogs.
http://sofadogs.libsyn.com/304-dark-cit … s-cut-1998

Hey, thanks for getting the word out! I hope you enjoyed it! smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down