Topic: Alien

Hey guys, Teague here with the release of our second scary movie for the month of October, Alien. (Theatrical Cut.)

Guess how many times I tried to write this paragraph before realizing this film can’t be introduced.

Right. It can’t be done. A beautiful man named Eddie Doty (from the Watchmen and Full Metal commentaries) subs in for Dorkman in this discussion of a thirty-year-old movie that sci-fi flicks are stylistically ripping off to this very day.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Alien

This is more about the franchise than Alien itself, i just read some good news.

What's the deal with Fox anyway? It's like they prefer to make junk like Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem instead of spending a few bucks and maybe getting something equal to the original. Why would they give Ridley a hard time? I hope they get Portman but i can't really picture her as a "female Colonial Marine general".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie: Do you have a link for the Walter Merchant book you were talking about? The one with the list of importance in editing. 125 pages or so.

I poked around and couldn't find anything.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Isn't it Walter Murch?- http://www.amazon.com/Blink-Eye-Revised … 1879505622smile

If not, Eddie can correct me and point out what an idiot I am, later  big_smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2011-02-23 13:02:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DIng Ding, Shifty is a winner.  I just loaned my copy to my assistant, because no assistant of mine is NOT going to have read it.  THe list he refers to is The Rule of 6.   He goes into more detailin the book, but 10 years of editing for a living and I still find myself going back to that list daily.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a quick read as well, not at all a hefty tome.

PunBB bbcode test

Ripley

I found this blog a while back in which a guy watches all these 'pop culturally relevant' movies for the first time and writes down his thoughts as he's watching the film. It's pretty cool stuff. Anyways, I just read his thoughts on Alien and thought it was too good not to share.

First Impressions

Second Thoughts

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

HAH! Excellent find.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I don't know how he went this long without knowing anything at all about ALIEN or its iconic scenes but I'm glad he did. His reaction to the chestburster is exactly what you'd want it to be.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's actually pretty cool. He did Terminator 1 and 2 back to back, and had no idea in T-2 that arnold was the good guy until the reveal happened, and then he gets super excited.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Once I saw how little he knew about 'Star Wars', I immediately read his 'T:2' to see if he didn't know who the good guy was. I was pleased that someone has finally seen it the way Cameron clearly made it to be experienced, and that it worked so well.

Alien, with Science Commentary...

http://www.popupscreens.co.uk/movies/al … ommentary/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down