Re: Raiders.

Shifty Bench wrote:

I think it is said a lot in Pulp Fiction but probably no more than is said in the actual film itself.

Please also try to keep the number of murders you commit during a commentary down below the number committed by the sociopaths in the films.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Now I want to go back and watch it again!

Anywho, what was the Starwars site mentioned during the show? For background stuff.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't know what you're referring to, but we've brought up Secret History of Star Wars a few times recently.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We mentioned it in regards to Marcia Lucas and how she was responsible for the scene at the end with Marion on the steps of the government building.

You know. A drink?

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9326/56233980.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Please also try to keep the number of murders you commit during a commentary down below the number committed by the sociopaths in the films.

I wish I'd known about this rule before. 2012 was a seriously wasted opportunity.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:
Zarban wrote:

I wish I'd known about this rule before. 2012 was a seriously wasted opportunity.

But in that film, the main characters don't use the n-word or commit murder, do they? So for that commentary, the DIF panel should be allowed no more than three preposterous close-shave airplane take-offs.

For Raiders (back on topic), the panel should kill no more than 20 Arabs and Nazis and raid no more than two ancient relics during the commentary.

For those who are interested in more about the polytheistic roots of Judaism, and its spinoff sequel mythology Christianity. Obviously this is only a quick primer. Sources and further reading cited on the YouTube page.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Huh. I've never heard any of that before, but I found it very interesting. (Side note: I haven't actually listened to the commentary yet, even though I have the Raiders DVD sitting literally right next to me. It this a continuation of a discussion in the commentary?) This has intrigued me enough that I will probably try to read that book and do some further research.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow that was intense (I just finished the first part). I had always assumed that there had to be some form of polytheistic influence on early Christianity, for a lot of the same reasons he brought up, but I'd never heard it laid it out like that before.

I'm gonna have to find that book and have a read though.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Later, as a direct result of jeremiah4226's comment, executives conclude that DIF should have a laugh track.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, it is so decided.

Phi, you handle that.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jeremiah4226 wrote:

I too had never heard of the "polytheistic Judaism" that Dorkman spoke of.  However, after listening to the video, I saw what he was talking about, and started laughing. This isn't anything new to Christianity or Judaism, Jehovah, Yahwey, Elohim, etc aren't seen as different gods, but as the same god manifesting himself in different ways.

Which is a bit like responding to the Secret History of Star Wars with "Oh, no, you see that's explained in the Young Jedi Knights series, that when they referred to this, they were actually referring to that."

The point of the video is that they were seen as different gods for centuries, per archaeological and anthropological evidence, until the concept of monotheism was invented, at which point they were retconned into a single god with the explanation you've just given.

You missed the point of the video completely. High five.

Although you're right that this isn't "new" to those religions -- it predates them and forms their foundation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jeremiah4226 wrote:

I didn't really understand what the evidence was for "P", or 2nd Isaiah. Is Isaiah 44:6 part of 2nd Isaiah?

He glossed over that because he'd mentioned them in an earlier video (this is part of a series about this person's journey from devout Christian to atheist).

P is one of five identified authors of what became the Pentateuch according to the documentary hypothesis.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Down in Front wrote:
Phi wrote:

Later, as a direct result of jeremiah4226's comment, executives conclude that DIF should have a laugh track.

Yes, it is so decided.

Phi, you handle that.

No, no. I've got ya.

Mulholland Drive with laughs (10 min)

It's not pretty.

another good commentary guys, lotta laughs all around.
I just want to mention that when I heard dorkman bring up the 'no other gods before me' thing and how it essentially means that other gods are cool as long as the hebrew God is first and foremost, I got curious. I did a bit of research and found that the hebrew word for 'before me' literally means 'in front of', 'in the face of', or 'in the presence of'. so it sounded to me like the hebrew God didn't want any other gods anywhere near him.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What if it's behind him?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Then it's just the way he likes it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

*laugh track*

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Zarban, I love you.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Favourite line in this one is "god is the magic bean". Genius.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

"god is the magic bean". Genius.

I'm sensing a bumper sticker/t-shirt idea here...

Eyo! Haven't been around in, uh, months which is lame and I'll try to get back to posting. Anyway.

They just released the line up for Everything is Festival this year at Cinefamily in LA, WHICH INCLUDES:

- Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation: the legendary ’80s VHS shot-for-shot remake of Raiders by a cast & crew of teenagers in Mississippi — with the film’s star Chris Strompolos in person!

There's a bunch of other notable stuff like an inspirational talk from Andrew WK, a live version of Food Party, and a crazy found footage film Joe Dante made in 1968.

http://www.cinefamily.org/blog/everythi … l-returns/

The crowd will be raucous and celebratory, so viewing experience.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anybody seen this one?
Shot-by-shot comparisons of Raiders and scenes from 30 different adventure films made between 1919 and 1973.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

it goes to show. the people who would give Tarantino shit for taking from other movies most likely only do so because they know the movies he's taken inspiration from. Where as I bet the average move geek couldn't name a single one of the films in the above clip.

Thumbs up Thumbs down