Re: Scott Pilgrim

I just started listening to the podcast "Doug Loves Movies". Edgar Wright has been a guest 3 times in the past year and has some interesting stories and is a very funny guy. He does talk about the bake off and that they knew that they had lost. The man also  knows his movies, holy crap they play the Lenard Maltin movie game and so far Edgar has destroyed all competition , very impressive.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

I just want to say, I did love this movie, however, I am not going to sit here and say you all suck
because you didn't completely care for this movie.
I have never read the comics, but I do know that you almost have to read ALL of them
to fully get the movie. They didn't make any compromise and there is very little
exposition in this movie to let in you in on the punchline.
Oh, BTW, Scott Pilgrim Isn't ever supposed to be a geek. He has his own band.
Why on earth does anybody think that he is supposed to be anything but this
regular guy in a band. look at his apt, there isn't any games or posters or comics,
nothing that spells geek. If someone told you that this was supposed to be a book
for geeks about a geek, they were wrong, and probably were just wishful thinking.
I will admit that Scott is an asshole sometimes but a geek that doesn't make.
and the whole video game thing, just because he is good at them, doesn't
make him a geek or mean that he ever played them except occasionally.

Just to wrap up:
To watch this movie is to have got one of those hard but really awesome video games
back in the day, only you have no instructions, and it is before the internet.
You either just play the game and try and figure it out, which you might not
ever do, or simply don't play it.  I never had a problem figuring out games
like this, or I just didn't care, I enjoyed them either way

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-03-16 19:27:56)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

1. Scott isn't a geek. He's a hipster.

2. I think you need to listen to Dorkman's rant at the end of this episode again.

3. Good for you about video games but this isn't a game. It's a movie, no matter how you dress it up and therefore, it must present itself accordingly and be judged by a certain criteria.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

mkeithddc wrote:

Scott Pilgrim Isn't ever supposed to be a geek. He has his own band.

roll

Extended Edition - 134 Blade Runner 2049
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Faldor wrote:
mkeithddc wrote:

Scott Pilgrim Isn't ever supposed to be a geek. He has his own band.

roll

Um, then why is there the term "band geek?"

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Kids would get beat up less if, instead of saying they were in the school band, they just went around saying they were "in a band".

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Yeah but that immediately goes away and the beatings commence the second this exchange happens:

"Really? Cool. What instrument do you play?"
"The Piccolo."

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Can there be a heavy metal piccolo?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

I've heard metal bands use a flute (Nightwish and Cruachan come to mind)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

fireproof78 wrote:
Faldor wrote:
mkeithddc wrote:

Scott Pilgrim Isn't ever supposed to be a geek. He has his own band.

roll

Um, then why is there the term "band geek?"


Band Geek?? Really?? Oh, maybe this is sarcasm. but just in case its not, Um, someone who is
in a school band/marching band is a geek. If you play in a garage band with electric guitars,
you are bad ass and get hot girls, even if you are Michael Cera. I don't make the rules.

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-03-19 02:58:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

These days, being a geek is not the same thing as being a nerd.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

mkeithddc wrote:

Why on earth does anybody think that he is supposed to be anything but this
regular guy in a band. look at his apt, there isn't any games or posters or comics,
nothing that spells geek.

johnpavlich wrote:

These days, being a geek is not the same thing as being a nerd.

http://theinvisibleagent.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/screen-shot-2010-03-16-at-3-15-22-pm.png

And what if I told you... they could look exactly like normal people?

SPOILER Show
http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/tvandfilm/2009/11/19/bodysnatchers1.jpg
But no seriously, even people you know really well, could be a geek or a nerd... and you would never know They could be among us even now.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-03-18 04:19:43)

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

Re: Scott Pilgrim

mkeithddc wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:
Faldor wrote:

roll

Um, then why is there the term "band geek?"


Band Geek?? Really?? Oh, maybe this is sarcasm. but just in case its not, Um, someone who is
in a school band/marching band is a geek. If you play in a garage band with electric guitars,
you are bad ass and get hot gets, even if you are Michael Cera. I don't make the rules.

That's what I was doing wrong in high school wink

I don't really buy that argument but I understand your point.

Also, I want to reemphasize pavilich's point that the movie isn't a video game. The movie is judge based upon its own merits not upon source material. If the movie is bad, then the movie is bad and no amount of outside material will fix that point.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

mkeithddc wrote:

If you play in a garage band with electric guitars,
you are bad ass and get hot gets

hot what now?

Extended Edition - 134 Blade Runner 2049
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Re: Scott Pilgrim

BigDamnArtist wrote:
mkeithddc wrote:

Why on earth does anybody think that he is supposed to be anything but this
regular guy in a band. look at his apt, there isn't any games or posters or comics,
nothing that spells geek.

johnpavlich wrote:

These days, being a geek is not the same thing as being a nerd.

http://theinvisibleagent.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/screen-shot-2010-03-16-at-3-15-22-pm.png

And what if I told you... they could look exactly like normal people?

SPOILER Show
http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/tvandfilm/2009/11/19/bodysnatchers1.jpg
But no seriously, even people you know really well, could be a geek or a nerd... and you would never know They could be among us even now.

It's true... I was wearing a Blue Sun T-shirt in a doctor's office a few years ago, and the Doctor said "Firefly!?"

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Re: Scott Pilgrim

I played electric guitar in a band that opened for Eve 6 in High School (They were called Yakoo back then).  Shockingly, I in fact received no pussy, and was still treated like a dork in high school.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

doty

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

43

Re: Scott Pilgrim

I am a singer in a band with electric guitars!

We're all public servants, and we mostly play French and English pop songs from the 80s at work charity events.

But I'm in a band!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Video request.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

fireproof78 wrote:

Also, I want to reemphasize pavilich's point that the movie isn't a video game. The movie is judge based upon its own merits not upon source material. If the movie is bad, then the movie is bad and no amount of outside material will fix that point.

This is an issue with anime, actually, at least when it's licensed in the US, because a lot of shows are intended to be a supplement to or a lure for the source material. I remember being baffled by how many anime seemed to just end mid-story with character and plot threads left hanging. Then someone explained to me that there was probably an unlicensed manga out there with dozens of volumes if I was interested in finding out what happens next. With a lot of anime on television, you get what you get for the money that was available to produce it and if you want any more then go read the manga/book or play the video game. There's much less pressure for an anime to stand alone, because the audience already knows that they're only getting part of the story.

Now if this was the intention for Scott Pilgrim, which I doubt, then the problem is that US audiences aren't accustomed to this model. Instead of being one piece of the whole, Scott Pilgrim ends up feeling like a not so great adaptation.

And I understand the point about Scott not actually being a nerdy character, but if that's the case, Michael Cera was the wrong choice. Fine actor, but everything about him screams nerd.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

This is an issue with anime, actually, at least when it's licensed in the US, because a lot of shows are intended to be a supplement to or a lure for the source material. I remember being baffled by how many anime seemed to just end mid-story with character and plot threads left hanging. Then someone explained to me that there was probably an unlicensed manga out there with dozens of volumes if I was interested in finding out what happens next. With a lot of anime on television, you get what you get for the money that was available to produce it and if you want any more then go read the manga/book or play the video game. There's much less pressure for an anime to stand alone, because the audience already knows that they're only getting part of the story.

In most of those cases, it's probably the anime being canceled after only getting through a few books of the manga. Just look at all the movies made from the first book in a series which never got sequels. There are anime created as ads for the books, but I think they're mostly from the 90's. Things like Lodoss War or Heroic Legend of Arslan skip huge chunks of story, expecting you to read the books.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Faldor wrote:
mkeithddc wrote:

If you play in a garage band with electric guitars,
you are bad ass and get hot gets

hot what now?

hot *girls, lol

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

johnpavlich wrote:

These days, being a geek is not the same thing as being a nerd.

<sigh> In MY day, we Dungeons & Dragons Trekkies beat up nerds and geeks just the same.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Also, I want to reemphasize pavilich's point that the movie isn't a video game. The movie is judge based upon its own merits not upon source material. If the movie is bad, then the movie is bad and no amount of outside material will fix that point.

This is an issue with anime, actually, at least when it's licensed in the US, because a lot of shows are intended to be a supplement to or a lure for the source material. I remember being baffled by how many anime seemed to just end mid-story with character and plot threads left hanging. Then someone explained to me that there was probably an unlicensed manga out there with dozens of volumes if I was interested in finding out what happens next. With a lot of anime on television, you get what you get for the money that was available to produce it and if you want any more then go read the manga/book or play the video game. There's much less pressure for an anime to stand alone, because the audience already knows that they're only getting part of the story.

Now if this was the intention for Scott Pilgrim, which I doubt, then the problem is that US audiences aren't accustomed to this model. Instead of being one piece of the whole, Scott Pilgrim ends up feeling like a not so great adaptation.

And I understand the point about Scott not actually being a nerdy character, but if that's the case, Michael Cera was the wrong choice. Fine actor, but everything about him screams nerd.

Well put. Though I am not a fan of anime in general, that is a trend I have noticed when I try to get in to a particular series. I am often left baffled or confused, and usually can't finish it due to frustration of unanswered questions.

I often get criticized for liking Star Trek Into Darkness, but knowing more outside material about Star Trek (in general and Into Darkness specifically)  can help with understanding the movie. But, if left on your own, with no knowledge of the material (or limited) the movie is found wanting (and yes, I know, it is still wanting even if you do know that. wink ).

SF Debris puts it quite well that he will do research to review a film but won't do research to just watch it. I am more inclined to do research prior to seeing a film and am willing to fill in gaps (bring in the concrete) but that doesn't mean it is a good movie. I can just be more forgiving than others.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Scott Pilgrim

fireproof78 wrote:

I often get criticized for liking Star Trek Into Darkness

Fireproof, you suck!  tongue

Extended Edition - 134 Blade Runner 2049
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog