Re: Scott Pilgrim

Invid wrote:
Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

This is an issue with anime, actually, at least when it's licensed in the US, because a lot of shows are intended to be a supplement to or a lure for the source material. I remember being baffled by how many anime seemed to just end mid-story with character and plot threads left hanging. Then someone explained to me that there was probably an unlicensed manga out there with dozens of volumes if I was interested in finding out what happens next. With a lot of anime on television, you get what you get for the money that was available to produce it and if you want any more then go read the manga/book or play the video game. There's much less pressure for an anime to stand alone, because the audience already knows that they're only getting part of the story.

In most of those cases, it's probably the anime being canceled after only getting through a few books of the manga. Just look at all the movies made from the first book in a series which never got sequels. There are anime created as ads for the books, but I think they're mostly from the 90's. Things like Lodoss War or Heroic Legend of Arslan skip huge chunks of story, expecting you to read the books.

Well, I'm basing this on what I was told by a guy who worked for a Japanese publisher, and on what I've seen of how manga and anime are promoted here. Most of the time, it's the publishers who are fronting the costs, and their primary interest is in selling more books. A show has to be insanely popular (Full Metal Alchemist, for example) to buck the trend and get additional seasons. And that still usually only happens if it's significantly driving up sales of the book, or if the production company is making enough off of merchandise to be able to afford to produce more episodes themselves. This is particularly true of manga for the teen and adult female market, where even a very short-lived anime series can do a lot to improve sales and which have limited potential for merchandise.

Lodoss War and Arslan were both OVAs financed directly by the animation studios during the halcyon days of the early 1990s when direct-to-video sales were a viable market. That rarely happens anymore. Nowadays, OVAs are usually extras (non-broadcast episodes) that come with DVD or Blue-Ray releases of an existing show, and have much lower production values than in their heyday.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

I often get criticized for liking Star Trek Into Darkness

Fireproof, you suck!  tongue

See what I mean?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I played electric guitar in a band that opened for Eve 6 in High School (They were called Yakoo back then).  Shockingly, I in fact received no pussy, and was still treated like a dork in high school.

Only Drummers get pussy, didn't you know that? Apparently you haven't
seen "That Thing That You Do!"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seems like ScreenJunkies have reached conclusions similar to the ones expressed in the DIF/WAYDM commentary  big_smile

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Oh no, I'm that guy."

That's right, The Internet. That Guy is YOU

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

Holy shit it's Vapes! Quick, someone catch it before it gets away!

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*jumps on Vapes*

*just stays there now*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pokemon: Go-Vapes edition.

God loves you!