Re: Cool vids...again.

It's a couple years old now, but I just found it, so nyeh. But this was absolutely fantastic and so much fun to watch.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

It's a couple years old now, but I just found it, so nyeh. But this was absolutely fantastic and so much fun to watch.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-09-29 06:36:59)

Skip ahead about a minute. What starts out as a let's play for Mario Maker, becomes a shitfest of Yoda Jokes.

I'm having trouble stopping laughing.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I haven't watched it yet because I'm waiting for a coming showing in Montpellier, but The Fall of Men, a French Dragon Ball Z fanfilm, is out, and it's making some noise: 2.5 million views in 3 days.

Now, I haven't seen a single DBZ episode in my life, but the reason I've been following this project is because I've worked on it (comped a few shots, mostly from the sequence where Trunks is flying to the temple up in the sky). I never would have guessed so many people were expecting it. Apparently the DBZ community was starving for a good live-action adaptation, and they (so I'm told) got it.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-11-13 19:52:56)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-12-04 06:57:16)

Valve labels the machines building Steam Controllers as Aperture Science. Because of course they do.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-12-10 23:26:42)

You know, this is the first step towards being all killed with neurotoxic gas by a big-ass computer.

Sébastien Fraud
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I really like my steam controller. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but pretty it's handy once you get used to it.

I hadn't seen this until today. Thought it was cool. I remember seeing the storyboards for it on the dvd. Glad to see it actually animated. :D

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There was one other additional scene in the film that is very short and I had to google it to see what it was. It's a scene in the diner where Hogarth's mom works.

There's one other scene that I wish had been included, but I kinda understand why it got chopped out. It was an earlier scene that set up Hogarth and his mom right after the old ship captain guy runs aground. They're driving by the lighthouse and end up taking the guy into town after he runs into the road ahead of them. In the scene, tho, they're driving in the truck and just talking to each other, but they end up having a short conversation about his father and he delivers the line "I miss him." The same line is repeated at the end of the film by Hogarth about the Giant.

I kinda get why they cut it, tho. It was already in the clean-up process when they dropped it, tho. It's not one they cut for budget reasons. I think it was just too much of a downer early on in the movie. In the film as it exists you don't really get a sense for how long Hogarth has been fatherless, but their conversation implies that it's a relatively recent situation. I think the film would still play out as well with the scene included, and I kinda would like to have it in there just to put a firm point on the fact that the dad is dead.

But it does make the eventual romance a bit weirder. I just like the notion that it's the dad that's dead, and that the mom has a 'mom' job and maybe isn't the most experienced at being the bread-winner. In a way, the same sort of dynamic is better explored in Lilo & Stitch. In so many of these US animated films, there's a dead mom or parents, but it happened ages ago and doesn't really enter into the plot much. The resulting vacuum that the loss of a loved one leaves goes unexplored in most of these films. I think it's one of those things where kids who haven't experienced that loss would barely notice it as a plot device, but kids who have lost one or both of their parents might find something like Lilo & Stitch (and The Iron Giant, had it included that scene) a lot more relatable that your typical fairy-tale type crap where the parent(s) died ten years ago but it barely factors into the story at all, aside from plot mechanics like being forced to live with evil step-mothers or evil aunts or whatnot.

But the Iron Giant is a film that heavily focuses on death. It's strange subject matter for a children's film, but it's pretty deftly handled. I think that scene is a bit of a downer, maybe, but is just an early example of characters - Hogarth specifically - dealing with death. The fact that he has to deal with it is something that I think a lot of kids can, unfortunately, relate to. It might weaken the film slightly for a majority of people, but it might make it that much more powerful if you're one of those people who's had to deal with that sort of loss.

Just a random aside, tho. Nevermind me...

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2016-01-05 03:16:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We all float down here...

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

"And see if she wants a job!"

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's nothing I could say. So I'll just say watch it.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2016-01-26 18:42:22)

Facebook video, unfortunately not on YouTube, though other stuff by the troupe is.

Lion dance, I believe. Two dudes in a heavy, hot suit, jumping around with grace that likely defies a couple laws of physics, all while somehow imbuing the suit with loads of character. Or as my sister put it when she linked it, "And all the while the dragon finds time to be sassy and wag its butt and bat its eyes at the crowd."

https://www.facebook.com/wwwlongshicom/ … 795874169/

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I watched this:

And then this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/bc0kkkAl.png

Yeah, there was a time in my life where it seemed like I was suddenly in a bunch of documentaries for no reason. This one was a complete surprise to me.

EDIT: Oh, weird, I thought this was Life After Pi — nevermind, it's another thing entirely. Ha!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Deadpool saves the cat

Thought this was silly :P

Last edited by MadBadCoyote (2016-02-14 01:31:18)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great song and a mesmerizing video! Nice transition from full live action to eventual full CG character. I noticed a few animation pops here and there (though that's just me being nit picky)but its very effective I think!

This thing is spooky in how close we are to fully self-capable humanoid robots.

This is one of the best re-edited trailers I've ever seen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is just way to much fun.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2016-05-24 18:55:43)

"I mean...I believe in you."

I've never seen this before, and it's AMAZING.

Xavier Delorme, aka the #1 french stormchaser, just released a series of slow-mo captures of lightning (7000fps with a Phantom camera). It perfectly shows the whole process of a lightning strike.

Sébastien Fraud

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down