Re: Dubious musical taste.

Another minimalist 80's-ish sounding synthwave tune from an artist I just discovered on Bandcamp the other day.

You can ignore the video, as it's a fan-made thing made from a Goddard film. Doesn't really fit well with the song.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

the new Roly Porter album is kicking my ass.

Sonically of course

Last edited by KyleMonroe (2016-02-07 05:46:26)

The Wobbling Warrior

Hamilton.  All of Hamilton.  My favorites thus far.

and this AWESOME John Adams diss track that never made it to the final show.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Fuck it, have some more.

This is Aaron Burr singing about the woman he wants to marry. 

Jefferson coming back from France after the war.

Washington selecting Hamilton to be his aide.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Someone posted the electro-swing track Gimme That Swing a while back. BDA posted Lone Digger by Caravan Palace on his Twitter and got me back into it and I put a Pandora station together.

This took me entirely by surprise.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Dying battery + car alarm + phat beats = Friday jam.

Extended version on Soundcloud.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

From the guy that brought you I'm An Albatroaz...

I love AronChupa's style. So good.

Not something I'd usually listen to, but the song is solid through and through and I'm so glad Rick is still making stuff.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2016-04-08 23:37:47)

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

BigDamnArtist wrote:

From the guy that brought you I'm An Albatroaz...

I love AronChupa's style. So good.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." Don't see that in the States much.

So today I discovered Hugh Laurie has a blues album. This fuckin guy man.

He has two. I'm a big fan. I've seen him live a few years ago and I had the time of my life. I think music is his first love, and I wish people would stop associating him with House, because his talent shows much more with music and his British comedy years.

Also if y'all ain't doing it already, listen to Seasick Steve. Country blues rockin' with homemade instruments, a long-ass beard and a damn fine voice that has more range than you'd expect from this former hobo. I can't get enough of it, his music wakes me up and gets me groovin'. He also makes so great ballads. It's basically a banjo and guitar lovefest.

Last edited by Saniss (2016-04-10 13:41:14)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's so bizarre because I have a really hard time thinking of Hugh Laurie as House. House is just such a separate unique thing apart from my understanding of Hugh Laurie that he's basically a different person.

Hugh Laurie will always be this guy to me:

http://45.media.tumblr.com/a16764c36c427819802cc36d405c9c89/tumblr_nve6awXG241rltygco1_400.gif

Can't believe I haven't said it before: Gillian Welch is a goddess.

Be'lakor has a new album approaching, so for those who like Metal it might be interesting. Sounds absolutely sublime:

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Right, right, I get that you're not a fan of bagpipes. But what if we added a didgeridoo?"

"...What?"

That is so great

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is the best thing. Like of all the things, this is the best. I want them to do a collab with these guys just for the hell of it, cause it's not insane enough already:

Just realized I never posted this. The Dirk Gently soundtrack is frickin bonkers and I love it to death. Whenever the full score releases I am getting it immediately and listening to it on repeat til I lapse into a coma of awesome.

https://soundcloud.com/cristobal-tapia- … re-sampler

YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

How about some batshit crazy sample-dense Golden Age hip hop?  Been ages since I saw something on YouTube, etc. and went "I have to have this record.  I don't care what it costs."  I think they sold like 6 copies back in 1991.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So the topic of Gwar came up in the chat, and that lead to the following question: "What metal albums from the last decade would you consider a masterpiece". I had one immediate answer, but then had to think a bit. I'm not sure I can fairly answer the question, except to just list some of my own personal favorite albums from the last decade or so that I think are examples of bands who are just killing it in a nearly flawless way:

Linking single tracks because I think linking the entire album is a bit overkill... You can look if you're interested:

Katatonia - Night Is The New Day (2009):

Katatonia is one of my favorite bands, but most of their albums are not what I'd call "great". They have a lot of standout tracks and a lot of tracks that I tend to skip. Night Is The New Day is one of their more recent albums that I consider to be right up there among my all-time favorite albums, and I listen to it a hell of a lot, and can just put it on and let it go and thoroughly enjoy it in its entirety. The only track I consider kinda weak is the very first one.

Madder Mortem - Eight Ways (2009):

You'll notice a trend in most of my favorites in that I like stuff with at least a little prog or jazz influence going on. I've got some exceptions, but most of my favorites are doing something more technical than just verse / chorus / verse and driving beats. I find that I can zone out and let it play in the background, but I can also really focus on it and get fully absorbed when it's doing something more complex. A lot of my favorite music is doing this, not just metal stuff.

Opeth - Sorceress (2016):

These guys were insanely heavy melodic death metal with a twist of jazz about 15 years ago, but their stuff from the last decade has evolved into a more pure prog-rock sort of sound. I wasn't a fan of some of the earlier of their prog-style albums, but Sorceress is fucking fantastic, and is easily on par with the best of their death metal stuff in terms of how listenable the entire album is.

Callisto - Providence (2009):

I'm gonna be honest and say that their previous album 'Noir' is probably the most 'friendly' of their albums thus far. Their first album, True Nature Unfolds, is extremely heavy and has lots of atonal shit going on in it. Providence is the other end of the spectrum and is way more jazz / prog than metal. It's arguable whether this should even be considered 'metal' at this point, but they're another of my all-time favorite bands. Very slow on new material, tho.

So that's a good start, I guess. I'll add some more later, maybe. This isn't really 'traditional' heavy metal, tho. This is mostly melodic / prog type stuff. I don't listen to much heavy metal / power metal / etc.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

You've pretty much stifled everything I wanted to say.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Apparently there's a new Gorillaz album... I know because it got mentioned every 15 minutes today at work.

Started listening to one track earlier; became so sad that I stopped.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whyzzat? (Hasn't listened to enough Gorillaz to know what people are expecting).

That one isn't something I'd usually listen to, but it's weird and alright I guess.

I found this group a few days ago and got their EP:

Really catchy pop stuff with an 80s sound goin on. Not the overwrought outrun-type of music, but more like how really good 80s pop music actually sounded. This would have fit in during that era, but also feels more modern.

I also found out what Evan Ferro is doing now:

I've been kinda passively stalking this mother fucker for like a decade now, ever since he was in a band called Bright Light Fever:

They released two albums and an EP, all of which are great. They broke up because they were actually losing money while touring so they could raise money to keep making music. He and his brother Matt (also in the band) split off and started their own group, Roman Funerals:

They did one EP and then decided to do their own thing. I'm not sure what Matt ended up doing, but Evan knew some dudes who were looking for a rhythm guitar, so he did that for a while. I guess they broke up as well, or he split, and started Stella Crest. This is a good thing, because I fucking love his voice. I dunno why, really. He's not the best singer. He just has a quality to his voice that i find intoxicating.

Anyway, I recommend all that shit. tongue

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2017-04-18 01:26:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down