Topic: Off Topic Podcasts?

It's not like DIF has enough going on or anything, but is there ever any chance of some one-off podcasts that are concept specific, instead of movie specific?

I'd love to hear an extended podcast with Eddie talking about editing, getting more specific about uses, movie examples, do's/don'ts

or Brian covering space, the universe and everything

or Trey talking about the studio system and his early relationship with Garbo, or his acid eating days with Grant (seriously, the dude loved the stuff).

good/bad CGI choices... etc.

Just a thought... I guess it'd be similar to some of the older Geekza podcasts, but with that new DIF smell.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Off Topic Podcasts?

I'm not opposed.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really like that idea.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been trying to get an MMA podcast off the ground for the better part of a year.  With that said, I would have no problem doing occasional special release podcasts under the DiF banner.  More than that, I'd love to hear the individual podcasts of my fellow DiF'ers.

For example, I'm not a VFX guy, but I listened the SHIT out of Teague, Ryan's and Dorkman's VFX union podcast because I found those guys interesting.  I think a two-three man podcast centered around a castmembers specialty is a good thing.  I'd love to hear Trey and Brian talk space.  Brian, as an emerging editor himself, could talk Editing with me.  Mike and I could talk fights, etc.  I'm open and interested in that.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is VERY common, in other podcasts, for them to put out extra episodes containing interviews they've done with other podcasts or whatever else doesn't fit into the current format. Sometimes this is used as filler instead of a real episode, sometimes it's a bonus for that week, and sometimes... it's used as a reward for donations to the podcast. You can also have spinoffs. Irreligiosophy recently had two sets of people who had been guests on their show start their own podcasts.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like this idea, and Eddie I'd love to hear more about MMA fight prep and diet. I started Crossfit a few months back and am looking at learning to fight a little (so I've got something to do with the increasing fitness).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well if you want to hear more from Brian, I'm working to get him on my Star Trek podcast as much as possible. He's already been on one episode. I'd imagine it'd be difficult though for most of these guys to start up their own podcasts, giving the demands of the genre.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know if it would be a regular weekly thing, but more like a special, whenever sort of thing.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This sounds great, can I subscribe somewhere yet?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I approve of this wholeheartedly.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The DiF Fun-time Comedy Hour Podcast.

I like the idea of an non-commentary podcast. It'll be a bit like the Anniversary shows, especially the first one when you guys talked about the Oscars for ages. Don't stop the commentaries though smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, let's kick it back to you guys.  List the Prime DiF'ers and your favorite 2nd stringers (like moi) and what you want to hear them talk about for an hour or 90 minutes or whatever.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm... Well, I feel like there's a lot that I could learn from all of you guys, so I'll try to keep this brief. Here's the four Ss.

Teague - Songs
Brian - Space/Science
Dorkman - Screenwriting (could apply to anyone, but otherwise the mnemonic doesn't work as well.)
Trey - Stories!

Eddie - Editing/Fighting/Fight-deting
Ryan - Visual Effects (along with everyone else on the podcast, naturally)
Miki - Moar science.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I pictured the off-topic series to be a little more free form and niche, with the DiF galaxy recording topics that they're personally interested in (for example puppetry, nunsploitation, or cakes).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

childhood/past pets

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FixedR6 wrote:

I pictured the off-topic series to be a little more free form and niche, with the DiF galaxy recording topics that they're personally interested in (for example puppetry, nunsploitation, or cakes).

Seconded.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Well, nunsploitation should be saved for the regular podcast, as I'm sure there is a couple different films they should do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And my favorite nun-related movie should be first on that list.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

And my favorite nun-related movie should be first on that list.

I really hope this is a tight second, if you want any nunsploitation cred.

To topic, though, would be neat to see some concept shows. Occasionally I'll be more interested in the direction the conversation is going than the film itself, but the plot of the movie will tend to put the discussion back on rails.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Paul, could you elaborate?

And, DOC I COULD FUCKING TALK FOR A YEAR ABOUT SONGS OMG

/also FX gets paid a lot to do those but seriously songs amirite

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague, yes.

Last edited by Dave (2011-06-29 10:12:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:
FixedR6 wrote:

Seconded.

I very much agree.

Also, nuns.

Mike and I were talking about doing a podcast about politics a little while back, don't know how many of you would be interested in something like that, though.

It would depend on how good it is, naturally smile My respect for someone in one area often doesn't extend to other topics. Do it, by all means, but something in that vein should not use the DIF podcast feed imho unless it's using films as a jumping off point.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think any of these would belong in the DIF commentary feed. We'd probably want to have a secondary stream that you can choose to subscribe to or not separately.

Thumbs up Thumbs down