Mmm. Weird nickname.

Proof?

Mmm. Not better.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Last movie you watched

MartyJ wrote:

Logan is very unusual for an X-Men movie, maybe even more so than Deadpool. It manages to weave elements of a western, a road movie and a character drama quite skillfully (to use a cliché, it transcends the comic book movie genre). Some even call it Marvel's Dark Knight.

Easily the most mature film of the series, a huge improvement over the fairly formulaic X-Men: Apocalypse. Definitely worth seeing.

I agree. Saw it opening weekend, absolutely loved it. Great way for Jackman and Stewart to say farewell to their respective roles. I wouldn't say all comic book movies should share this tone or be this intense. I think I like having the fun Marvel movies we're used to. But movies like this certainly are a wonderful break from the monotony of action-driven blockbusters. It's icing on a cake.

I really think Logan could be compared to a game called the Last of Us. This movie technically doesn't take place in a post-apocalyptic world (well, ok, in a way it does HUEHUEHUE), but it does for mutants. It's a story of a small handful of mutants just trying to hang on to their lives and humanity by a thread.

I highly recommend to anyone who was on the fence. While, on the whole, I don't think the X-Men movies are as good as the MCU films, I give them credit for taking more risks, whereas MCU movies tend to stick with a formula.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Teague wrote:

I felt the same way, Fire.

Mmm. Weird nickname.

Proof?

Mmm. Not better.

Proof 78.

Ha-ha, I'm on fire...

I'll show myself out.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just watched Deja Vu:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/DejaVuBigPoster.jpg

Interesting flick. Like all films that deal with warping time or time-travel or seeing the past / future / etc, the events in the film don't really add up or make much sense. That said, I thought it was an entertaining enough movie if you can look past that sort of crap. Denzel is as watchable as he always is, and is pretty much the reason to watch the movie. My Tony Scott filmography is now almost complete. I just need Days Of Thunder and Unstoppable.

As far as the Tony Scott scale, this one is kinda 'meh' for me. It's not bad, but many of his other films are more entertaining. I'd definitely recommend it, tho. There are only a couple of T Scott films I would say any film buff can avoid, but even Domino is worth watching as a learning experience tongue

I've got to watch Martin Scorsese's "Silence" next, so I think I need to go veg out with a game of go or something to cleanse the pallet before I drop into that one. Don't want to have the Tony Scott taste on your brain before you watch a Scorsese flick, ya know?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What's the usual pallet cleanse between films?

"Central Intelligence"

If you saw the trailer at all, then you have a pretty good idea of what the film will be about. However, what saves this film from being a paint by numbers buddy-cop comedy is the chemistry between Johnson and Hart. The two play very well off of each other and have a lot of fun with a pretty typical flick.

I had a lot of fun with it, with several laugh out loud moments. If you don't watch it, at least search for the blooper reel. That was a lot of fun too.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As much fun as the two guys were having, I thought Danielle Nicolet (Hart's character's wife) was great in it. She played a great character, especially during the couple therapy session.
I think the only thing that kept it from being a solid fun movie for me was Johnson's dumb act. It was fine until his full intentions were revealed, but then it played completely wrong. If his character had been just acting the ditz, fine, but afterward we should've seen him sober up a bit. Funny as it is to say, I think johnson is too smart to play dumb very well. Maybe it just didn't work for this movie, though.

Last edited by Writhyn (2017-03-29 19:58:39)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Silence:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/Silence_%282016_film%29.png

Hell of a movie. The leads are all outstanding. I dig the main character's conflict, in that he spends most of the movie fluctuating between hardcore believer to doubting his faith. It's an interesting film in that you can watch it as an atheist and still enjoy the shit out of it, even though the entire plot of the film revolves around religion, belief and faith and all that crap. The film takes sides, but it isn't preaching or anything. It's just telling a story that happens to be about this religious conflict.

The photography is fantastic. The tone is fucking bleak, tho. This is not really what I'd call a pleasant watch. Lots of horrible shit happens to people, and while some of that is done with a sense of drama, a lot of it is done in a very blunt, stark sort of way. I'd say that the way that the torture / death scenes are presented in a lot of ways reflects the strength of the characters' beliefs. The more faith they have, the more dramatically and 'romanticized' - if that's a good word to use - those scenes are portrayed.

But yeah, it's not an easy sit if you're squeamish, though it's not really a gory Passion Of The Christ sort of flick. There are just some really unsettling scenes, and there are some very raw emotional beats that are handled really fucking well.

So yeah. Definitely recommended if you're not put off by depressing / bleak flicks and mildly disturbing content. Also recommended if you're into cinematography, as it's very well-shot and often not being subtle about how pretty they can get tongue

As far as pallet-cleansing for movies, it's really a must in some situations. Sometimes the order in which you see a movie can have a dramatic effect on your opinion of a film as well. If I had watched Silence and then Deja Vu, I would have probably not liked Deja Vu much at all. I like to put some distance between films that I watch for different reasons. I dunno, maybe just a 'me' thing. And that's 'different reasons for watching the films', not 'different reasons for putting distance between them'. Once your brain is in full-blown Film-Craft mode, it's hard to turn around and watch a kinda dumb popcorn movie with a really simple plot and all the cliches. It's also hard to get into a really thought-required film if you've just finished off something that's high-energy and easy to just sit back and enjoy.

So I tend to do something that will get me in the proper mood. Go is a very strategy-thinky-thinky sort of game, so it kinda turns all the proper parts of my brain on for a thinky-thinky movie. I've never really needed the reverse to happen, as I tend to not ever be in the mood for dumb shit after I watch something that requires some thinking...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

As much fun as the two guys were having, I thought Danielle Nicolet (Hart's character's wife) was great in it. She played a great character, especially during the couple therapy session.
I think the only thing that kept it from being a solid fun movie for me was Johnson's dumb act. It was fine until his full intentions were revealed, but then it played completely wrong. If his character had been just acting the ditz, fine, but afterward we should've seen him sober up a bit. Funny as it is to say, I think johnson is too smart to play dumb very well. Maybe it just didn't work for this movie, though.

You're right. Danielle Nicolet was fantastic and the therapy scene was hands down one of my favorites.

I agree that Dwayne Johnson's ditz bit was hard to swallow, but I also think he was trying to be insecure, which also does not fit him. But, I loved the ending.

Again, not a perfect film, but enjoyable enough for what it is.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

John Wick 2:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/31/John_Wick_Chapter_Two.png

Meh.

The problem with this movie is that it suffers from the generic action scenes that plagued action movies in the late 90s. There came a point when action directors forgot how to make action movies. Before shit like shaky-cam and overwrought CGI bullshit, there were the generic action sequences. They'd have the protagonist enter a bar or a club or whatever, and they'd just start beating the shit out of a room full of generic henchmen.

As an audience member, you had no idea how many bad guys they had to kill. They would just keep coming. The protagonist would simply mow them down or absolutely destroy them without much effort at all. It was just this cavalcade of people running into the room, throwing a punch or taking a shot and then getting killed.

This is the problem with both of the John Wick films, but the second one is especially bad. There are some films that have similar scenes, but those scenes are usually punctuated with the one henchman that doesn't go down so easily. The first John Wick had that going for it. Each action sequence had that one guy who gave Wick a real fight, and one of them even did quite a bit of damage. That doesn't really happen in the sequel. There are only two fights against one guy where you feel like Wick is possibly not going to win. There is no 'lowest point' beat in this film. There's no point where he's totally outgunned, tied to a chair and you can't see how he's gonna get out of it.

The few times the film begins to veer in those directions, they Deus Ex Machina him out of it by introducing new characters.

This is one aspect of modern action films that I feel is broken. Older films obviously did the same thing, but they would change up the action, give you something to stay excited about, and they'd be raising the stakes during the action. This film does none of that. Generic bad-guys flood a room, John Wick systematically shoots them all, then goes to the next room where the same thing happens. The only change-up of the action that happens in the moments where, for no reason, Wick will put a guy into some kind of judo head-lock or arm-bar or something while he reloads or shoots someone else, and then he shoots the guy he's got in a headlock.

The opening action sequence(s) in the film are easily the best bit of action in the movie. The rest of the action might start out strong and fun, but they become tiresome and overstay their welcome. The only thing that changes in any given action scene is the setting in which the action happens. I was getting really fucking bored by the end of the film. I was actually startled a bit by an unexpected gunshot toward the end of the film. I feel like if that hadn't happened, like if there had just been another action sequence instead, I probably would have just dozed off in the theater.

So yeah, I really don't get the fan reaction on this one. People are saying that the first one was OK, but the second one is really good. I feel like the first one is by far the better film, as it does manage to change up the action and has some far more interesting characters and scenes going for it. The action scenes in the fist one are distinctive and memorable and change up more than just the backdrop.

I guess if you liked the first one this one is worth checking out. If you didn't like the first one, this one isn't going to change your mind at all. I kinda liked the first one - thought it was alright but not amazing or anything - but compared to this it's a fucking action classic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Wars: Rogue One

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Rogue_One%2C_A_Star_Wars_Story_poster.png

I swear to god, I can list the number of directors who can make a decent, fun adventure movie on one fucking hand. Gareth Edwards is not fucking one of them. This movie is fucking boring. I couldn't even finish the whole thing. It got to the climactic battle and became an absolute slog, with people needing to do this, needing to do that, etc. We have to get hooked up to a communications tower! We have to get the data files out of a thing! I can tell you where they are, but you have to get them! I can hook us up to the communications thingy, but I need you to do something out there so you can have an action sequence for no fucking reason!

And then they kept fucking talking about what they were trying to accomplish. The action scenes are mostly dull and bland. The characters are mostly flat and boring and talk too much. No one was playing a role. Leia, Luke and Han (and Chewie) were fucking roles. Indiana Jones is a role. Most of the Harry Potter characters are roles. The people in this movie are fucking just bland generic people. Even the blind dude is only a character because he's the blind kung-fu dude. The robot is the robot. The guy with the big gun thing is the guy with the big gun thing. That's pretty much the extent of their characterization. The robot has sass. The blind dude occasionally says wise things, but other times says bad-ass things, but other times is also sassy. He has a stick and he can't see. They wasted a good actor on that shit.

Fucking Forrest Whitaker is the best thing about this movie, and he doesn't make it past the first act.

Did not like. Maybe I'll finish it later.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I couldn't disagree more on the characters. I thought each one had a good motivation and a good arc. But that's me.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

I couldn't disagree more on the characters. I thought each one had a good motivation and a good arc. But that's me.

I couldn't disagree more with either of you. Sorry, I thought that was just saying wink

I didn't like Saw at all, and felt he was a wasted character, especially for just being in Act 1, especially for how disjointed Act 1 was in editing. The rest of the characters were mixed, and while I didn't "like" most of them, I could at least appreciate their arcs and wanted to see the Rebels succeed-which is more than I could say for the Jedi in the PT.

That said, I do agree with Writhyn that the characters were at least interesting enough to keep me engaged in the film.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They all felt flat and one-note to me, with no real arcs going on at all. The only character who had any internal conflict was ... the one who was supposed to assassinate the dad character. I don't even remember his name. The characters don't say each others' names much, so it's hard for me to even remember any of their names. K7 gets his name said a bunch, tho. One of them is named Urdu or something? Or Ursa? The girl.

But that guy played by Garcia is the only dude with an arc. The rest of them are just flat. His arc is "I need to kill the dad character" to "I don't really want to kill the dad character". But it doesn't feel like internal conflict as much as just being unsure about whether or not they need to keep him alive to destroy the death star.

In the end, the real problem with the movie is that the entire plot with the dad helping to build the thing and leaving in a flaw on purpose felt like total bullshit from the start. It just created some standard generic reason for the girl to be 'the special one' for no reason. She's somehow the key to things because her dad made the thing and only she can get us the information we need.

It would have been more interesting to have a more basic plot and focus on the characters instead. Plot could have been "There's a big weapon thing! We don't even know what it is, but the base we had in this area isn't responding to any of our shit, and we sent a squad to investigate and we lost contact with them as well. We have no idea what the fuck is going on!"

And like barely even show the Deathstar in the whole movie. Honestly, the plot is mostly fucked because you can't really have a 'good' ending. The best you can do is a pyrrhic victory, where either the protagonists die or are otherwise made to never be seen again. You get the plans to the right people, but everyone else has to die.

So the film would almost have to feel more like Saving Private Ryan or something. A little squad of rebels trying to get away from the most heavily fortified regions of Empire territory without getting blown up. I would say that the opening sequences should set up the fact that these guys were captured Rebels who know that the Death Star is a thing, so they risk their lives during their escape to get their hands on the plans, and then the rest of the film is them escaping and trying to get far enough that they can transmit the plans.

How do they get the plans? I like the idea of someone within the Empire realizing that the DS is a horrible thing that must be destroyed, so he gets his hands on the plans and either helps the rebels escape or runs to the nearest Rebel  friendly area to turn them over. The Empire is obviously chasing the guy, and destroys the base. At that point you've got an Imperial defector, a couple of Rebel troops, and maybe a couple of other random civies who end up on a ship escaping the destruction of the base and manage to get to a place where they can catch their breath and figure out what to do next.

Empire is still looking for them, so they have to get from deep within Imperial territory to any Rebel area, and the Rebels are meanwhile being defeated in a bunch of places. Maybe they decide to head to some other base and when they get there it's already been destroyed, wiped off the planet. Who knows. Just spit-balling plot moments now. The point is that the movie should be focused almost entirely on these few characters who end up stuck together in a situation they have to get through together. Have their personalities clash, have them end up giving a shit about each other, or maybe seeing opportunities to get out of the situation by doing something underhanded or whatever. Let the movie be about them and their shit, and not some mish-mash of convoluted plot bullshit where they need to go here and then go there and then find this person and that person, then go here and then go there and then get this guy and then go back to here and then have a big roundtable meeting where nothing happens and then have another meeting where characters decide to do something anyway, then have then go here and then do this and then split up into three groups and all of them go to these different places, and then the rest of the people figure something out and they all show up to add to the fight, and then complicated plot bullshit has to happen while all of these groups are all fighting each other all over the place...

It's just a convoluted mess of plot mechanics and little time spent with the characters in any situation that isn't some scene where they're either figuring out what to do or having some epic action shit happen. The plots in these films should be kept pretty simple. The first couple of SW flicks had pretty simple plots, and they're unarguably the best films of the bunch. Empire's plot is dirt basic. Start on Hoth, Empire finds them, they escape, Luke goes to train, everyone else goes to hide, they get found out and Luke goes to try to save the day and really fucks it up. Boom. The plots don't have to be super-complex or even all that busy. There are whole scenes in that movie that are 90% character relationship stuff that transition into some other scene where there's like plot shit happening. You can spend minutes just watching Han & Leia bicker and banter and you learn about them both and that fleshes them out as real characters in your mind that you start to really give a shit about.

Rogue One doesn't do that shit. It's just plot bullshit with some flat characters doing things and not really being characters. I don't give two shits about any of them. I can't even remember their fucking names. Did the pilot guy even GET a name? Did anyone actually say it in the movie, or did they just refer to him as Imperial pilot guy?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You mean Bodhi? The guy whos name they ask and he says "Bodhi"?

That imperial pilot guy?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I disagree. Cassian's arc was indeed the most robust, but it's much more than "kill dad"/"won't kill dad". He starts out doing the Rebellion's dirty work, maybe not happy to do it but realizing that it needs to be done. (Shooting the informant at the start; watching it on Blu-Ray I realized that Cassian knew that this guy was dead the minute he said "Erso", because he couldn't risk the Empire getting their hands on what he knew.)

Over the course of the film, he falters - yes, grows a conscience. But add to that him feeling betrayed - he did so much work for the Rebellion, and when it's time to make it absolutely count, for the Rebellion to mean something, the leaders of the Rebellion turn their back on him and don't go for it. He says something along the lines of, "If this doesn't happen, all of the horrible things we've done in the name of the cause were for nothing."

From someone who'll follow orders to do bad things, to questioning orders to do bad things, to downright going rogue (no pun intended... mostly) to do the thing that his orders don't have the balls for.

Jyn meanwhile goes from not caring about the cause ("How can you stand to see the Imperial flag?" "Can't see it if you don't look up.") to spearheading that cause when others didn't have the courage to. Yes, she does it more out of respect for her father, at least at first, but she realizes the importance of what she's caught up in.

Saw, I agree, was mostly wasted. Knowing there was more of him shot makes me wonder what it was, but since the release was so stingy with special features (no deleted scenes at all for a release that was saved in massive reshoots and reedits after the fact) it's hard to know what that might have been. He was serviceable.

Bodhi had gone through his arc before we see him, Chirrut and Baze generally don't have an arc and are there to round out the team and keep them on track. K2 discovered Friendship or something. I still enjoyed the characters and they all were worthwhile in the story, IMO.

Of course, Squiggly, I'm sure that you'll disagree with me and say that I'm reading too far into it, where I could come back saying that you need to just pay attention. In the end, you didn't enjoy the movie, and no amount of, "Um, actually," will change that. But on this one in particular I felt I had to speak up.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I agree with Boter and BDA. Rogue One wasn't ground backing in the story sense, but I at least had a sense of each character, their motivations, and the like. I didn't like most of them, and some were thinner than most, but I at least had a sense of what they wanted.

I think where RO really fails as a film is the introduction of a larger Rebel strike force. The idea that you have multiple characters already, and then add in Cassian's crew to increase the body count felt like it took time away from actually developing the central cast.

Of all the character stories present, I think that Galen Erso's and Chirrut Imwe (somehow I spelled that on the first go) have the more interesting ones.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...I wonder if we'll have a Galen Erso spinoff in another twenty years. Cause that's a pretty interesting turn too. Sure, Finn was a stormtrooper, but him aside (okay fine Anakin) we've never had an Imperial protagonist and I think it'd be something interesting for the Star Wars Stories to explore.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Chirrut believes in the Force. Baze doesn't. Chirrut's example brought Baze around. It's a small arc but it's there, and it's not shabby in the emotional payoff when it happens.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Chirrut believes in the Force. Baze doesn't. Chirrut's example brought Baze around. It's a small arc but it's there, and it's not shabby in the emotional payoff when it happens.

Chirrut was my favorite character, definitely a ray of optimism in the more depressing story.

It's a simple story, but one I very much enjoyed.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is the second case where someone has told me that I'm not paying enough attention to a movie, when the things being pointed out are these one-liner moments in a sea of boring dialogue coming from flat characters. I remember those scenes, they just didn't have any impact on me.

I just didn't care about any of the characters. It felt like they could do pretty much anything at any point because there wasn't really a strong sense of character to any of them. He shoots the dad, he doesn't shoot the dad... Either one makes sense and neither feels like much of a change in the character. He already seems mildly conflicted earlier when the guy gives him the order before they leave. It's weak. He should be 100% "Yes sir, I totally fucking agree, and I'll kill this bitch as well if she gets in my way!". Then we have some events happen and he ends up in that conflicted state and then doesn't do it.

The robot wasn't funny. The film annoyed me with its non-stop references to the original films... That probably had a huge impact in how invested I was in the movie. Every five minutes something from the previous films was brought up for no reason, and R2 and 3PO were actually a plothole when they showed up. They should have been on the ship or on Alderan or something. I dunno where Leia is in this movie, as I didn't get to that part of the flick. I still haven't finished it.

I just wasn't invested in anything, probably just due to being kicked out of the film all the time with all the little stupid things they kept throwing in there for no reason except to have fan service and to try to tie things directly to A New Hope. CGI Tarkin was OK in the first scene he was in and just kept showing up and getting worse. It felt like the prequels. It felt like a big-budget fan-film that's taking the goofy Star Wars bullshit far too seriously. That's the one thing about TFA that I liked. It wasn't taking everything so fucking seriously and was just having fun and being melodramatic at times. There are serious moments, but the film isn't like a grim drama with action beats. It's an adventure film. That's what I miss about older flicks. They were actually fun adventure films. This new breed of this sort of film is mostly exposition-heavy dry dramatic crap with dull characters with no arcs or very shallow arcs where they barely change as characters, and then they put action beats that are far too overstated and 'epic' and are constantly trying to impress me with their visual splendor.

Little things. The X-Wings show up at the shield thing and the very first thing they do is start flying through the little struts around the entry thing. That's like a late-stage desperation act that should happen later when one of the X-Wing pilots is being chased by three ties and can't shake them, so he starts flying through that area to see if he can shake them off or get them to kill themselves. In this movie it's just some bullshit they do to show off the cool idea the guys in charge of the CG portions of the film had during their meeting where they just tossed out a bunch of cool moments to have in the action scenes. It's not tied to anything I give a shit about and they give me no reason to care if they make it or don't make it. There are other X-Wing dudes. They could all just slam into pylons and die for all I care. I don't know these nameless twats, and the movie can just have another dozen of them show up without it feeling weird at all, so who gives a shit that they did that little stunt?

Things like that. It didn't make me feel anything. I felt nothing for a lot of this movie. I was just mostly bored. I dunno.

I would also like to see the original version of the film that was shot. I'd like to imagine that most of the fan-service bullshit were later additions to the movie done to make it feel more Star Warsy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BODc3NTAxMTY1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE4NjUzMw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The balance Herzog manages to strike here is masterful. The doc clearly recognizes that Treadwell was a troubled, reckless, and, if we dispense with charity, moronic individual whose wildly egotistical view of his place in nature got him and his girlfriend killed; but at the same time there's this overwhelming empathy that comes forth whenever you see him interacting with the animals he so clearly loves. This disquieting character study also ends up being itself part of a larger philosophical meditation on the relationship of humans and nature and whether the universe is full of beauty or chaos or both. It's just such a compelling and haunting feat of filmmaking that's gnawing at me even as I type this. I don't have much intelligent or insightful to say because I'm sort of numb and emotionally overcome.

This, The New World, and The Descent are tied for my favorite film of 2005, and they form a trilogy of sorts that examines from wildly different angles what happens when humankind interferes with nature. The New World is, among other things, an oneiric, lyrical elegy to the natural world as it's polluted and spoiled by "civilization"; The Descent is, among other things, a slow immersion into hell fueled by the philosophical horror of our natural origins; and Grizzly Man is, among other things, a sort of bridge between the poles of this opposition, depicting nature in all its beauty and terror and refusing to answer which is the stronger of the two.

Last edited by Abbie (2017-04-08 06:51:16)

Squiggly_P wrote:

There are other X-Wing dudes. They could all just slam into pylons and die for all I care. I don't know these nameless twats, and the movie can just have another dozen of them show up without it feeling weird at all, so who gives a shit that they did that little stunt?

I have no interest in continuing this fight cause clearly there's nothing we can say that will change your mind. But this is hilarious. The fact that they pulled unused X-Wing pilot's from A new Hope for the fight and incorporated them is a delightful irony in how A New Hope is structured almost exactly the same way and they get exactly as much introduction. The only difference is ANH has 40 years of EU telling us exactly who every single one of the bastards is.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It's not really a fight, just my take on what's wrong with the movie.

The X-Wing pilots in both ANH and RO are nameless nobodies that don't matter. The only reason to care about them dying is in how their deaths effect the main characters. In ANH, it's an upping of the stakes and tension as a demonstration of the strength of the enemy that Luke is up against, and at the end it's just him. In RO it truly doesn't matter if they live or die. If they all get immediately blown up, they could just come up with a plan B for getting the space door opened or getting the plans out somehow. If that were to happen, then they'd probably have more nobody characters have to do something else and maybe they'd succeed or not. I dunno what happens, never finished the movie.

If that's what you're saying, anyway. I don't really understand why it's ironic.

The good version of that scene is where that Imperial Pilot guy gets in a little Tie fighter and tries to take the space door down from the inside, while a few of the rebel pilot dudes do the same. Have all the X-Wing pilots just immediately get destroyed, like it's no big thing, the defenses are just too much to handle. That could have been a nice, tense fight with raising stakes and a reason to give a shit when all the other pilots are getting picked off.

I also think that breaking up the last action sequence into four or five different little mini battles was basically the same mistake that The Phantom Menace made. Have them all in the Tower thing fighting to get the plans, holding back forces once they get there, all while pilot guy is trying to open the door to get a signal through. Then you don't need Vader and Uncanny Tarkin and DeathStar Dad. Just people infiltrating a target and having things get harder and harder and raising of stakes.

I mean, I don't give a shit if people like the movie or not. Different strokes, I guess. It's interesting to me as a writer that I can find something like characterizations in this movie to be totally flat and boring, but other people find them to be at least decent or OK characters. I can't understand how people can think that. It's like seeing something that's plainly obvious, but then having other people who watched the same thing tell you that what was plainly obvious to them is the opposite of what you saw. It's confusing, and I can't help but poke and prod at that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I share Prax's opinion of Grizzly Man, fwiw.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

This is the second case where someone has told me that I'm not paying enough attention to a movie, when the things being pointed out are these one-liner moments in a sea of boring dialogue coming from flat characters. I remember those scenes, they just didn't have any impact on me.

I just didn't care about any of the characters. It felt like they could do pretty much anything at any point because there wasn't really a strong sense of character to any of them. He shoots the dad, he doesn't shoot the dad... Either one makes sense and neither feels like much of a change in the character. He already seems mildly conflicted earlier when the guy gives him the order before they leave. It's weak. He should be 100% "Yes sir, I totally fucking agree, and I'll kill this bitch as well if she gets in my way!". Then we have some events happen and he ends up in that conflicted state and then doesn't do it.

The robot wasn't funny. The film annoyed me with its non-stop references to the original films... That probably had a huge impact in how invested I was in the movie. Every five minutes something from the previous films was brought up for no reason, and R2 and 3PO were actually a plothole when they showed up. They should have been on the ship or on Alderan or something. I dunno where Leia is in this movie, as I didn't get to that part of the flick. I still haven't finished it.

I just wasn't invested in anything, probably just due to being kicked out of the film all the time with all the little stupid things they kept throwing in there for no reason except to have fan service and to try to tie things directly to A New Hope. CGI Tarkin was OK in the first scene he was in and just kept showing up and getting worse. It felt like the prequels. It felt like a big-budget fan-film that's taking the goofy Star Wars bullshit far too seriously. That's the one thing about TFA that I liked. It wasn't taking everything so fucking seriously and was just having fun and being melodramatic at times. There are serious moments, but the film isn't like a grim drama with action beats. It's an adventure film. That's what I miss about older flicks. They were actually fun adventure films. This new breed of this sort of film is mostly exposition-heavy dry dramatic crap with dull characters with no arcs or very shallow arcs where they barely change as characters, and then they put action beats that are far too overstated and 'epic' and are constantly trying to impress me with their visual splendor.

Little things. The X-Wings show up at the shield thing and the very first thing they do is start flying through the little struts around the entry thing. That's like a late-stage desperation act that should happen later when one of the X-Wing pilots is being chased by three ties and can't shake them, so he starts flying through that area to see if he can shake them off or get them to kill themselves. In this movie it's just some bullshit they do to show off the cool idea the guys in charge of the CG portions of the film had during their meeting where they just tossed out a bunch of cool moments to have in the action scenes. It's not tied to anything I give a shit about and they give me no reason to care if they make it or don't make it. There are other X-Wing dudes. They could all just slam into pylons and die for all I care. I don't know these nameless twats, and the movie can just have another dozen of them show up without it feeling weird at all, so who gives a shit that they did that little stunt?

Things like that. It didn't make me feel anything. I felt nothing for a lot of this movie. I was just mostly bored. I dunno.

I would also like to see the original version of the film that was shot. I'd like to imagine that most of the fan-service bullshit were later additions to the movie done to make it feel more Star Warsy.

The one point I will agree with you on is the too many nameless deaths of the pilots. Unlike, even the PT, where we know at least one or two pilots, RO banks too heavily on nameless hordes against the even larger nameless hordes of the Empire. I think that they added in too many characters in the final battle for their to be a connection with those characters,

I think the Rebel strike team needed to remain Jyn and crew, with maybe one or two "red shirts." I think that would have given more time to Bohdi, and Saw and some of the more incidental characters. I think the space battle needed some named characters to really sell the tension as to what is at stake in terms of characters' lives and that their deaths have more meaning.

I'm not confident that an original edit wouldn't have all the fan service moments in it, though it begs the question if a fan edit could tighten this film up in a way that is more in keeping with the overall tone, loose Pondo Babba, R2 and 3PO, and other little touches. But, it can't add to the film in terms of character moments, which, if I'm reading correctly, is the main complaint against the film.

Teague wrote:

I share Prax's opinion of Grizzly Man, fwiw.

Wrong, wrong. SO very wrong.

Last edited by fireproof78 (2017-04-08 22:55:58)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down