Re: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Whatever

I want to see a movie where Nietzsche is a wizard (or uber wizard).

Come on Brits, Sorcerer's Stone sounds way cooler.

But the way you guys pronounce "aluminum" is pretty cool.

Edit: What does "(UPP: 11:07)" mean?

Last edited by Mr. Pointy (2011-07-19 02:26:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Look Zarban, I never said Chris was Disembaudio...Disembodio...whatever...  I just said the voice sounded familiar.  If you went and got your brain fucked  without protection, that's your problem, so don't come crying to me for brain-child support, ok!

But seriously, there's something about the pronunciation or the inflections or something, reminds me of Chris.

Don't blame the victim, Matt!! Or should I say DISEMBAUDIO?

Disembaudio revealed!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I'm most astounded by how expertly you mixed this.

Well fucking played.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh God!  OH GOD! I'M A TROPE!

http://www.downinfront.net/images/donotwant.jpg

Hm.  Guess this is what the final five Cylons felt like.
(Spoilers to the one guy around here only just getting into BSG.)

I ask the question because 'Philosopher's Stone' is a thing, a concept for something that's sought and never found, and it always struck me as missing the point to change the philosopher part.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone

Not a great example, but it's like someone saying that a 'Baker's dozen' sounds lame and changing the occupation to cop dozen because it's more exciting.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Not a great example, but it's like someone saying that a 'Baker's dozen' sounds lame and changing the occupation to cop dozen because it's more exciting.

No, that's actually a really good example. That is exactly what it's like. But, if you're telling a story about cops and the term "Baker's dozen" isn't a colloquialism in the culture you're porting over to, "Cop's Dozen" makes almost as much sense as "Baker's Dozen" would to them anyway. (Americans have never heard of the Philosopher's Stone. We call it unobtanium.)

*begins writing COP'S DOZEN for Asylum, alongside THUS SPELLCAST ZARATHUSTRA: RISE OF THE ÜBERMENSCH*

TWO CAN PLAY AT THIS GAME ZAR AN

Thumbs up Thumbs down

About the whole "we can't say his name" thing, the Belgariad book series by David Eddings has a great way to handle it. This wizard has a spell set up so if someone says his name he can then listen in on their conversation. Once our heros are ready to make their move and want to be able to talk freely, they ask the king to instruct the bards and singers to break out the old songs that say the guys name over and over figuring the wizard will get pissed at being bothered all the time and stop listening.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Careful, braedan. As someone who has fielded many Britons' comments on the subject of UK vs US spelling, believe me when I say the English (the Scots are all right) don't have a sense of humoUr about this sort of thing.

Us Scots can barely speak English properly anyway, so...... big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

*begins writing COP'S DOZEN for Asylum, alongside THUS SPELLCAST ZARATHUSTRA: RISE OF THE ÜBERMENSCH*

TWO CAN PLAY AT THIS GAME ZAR AN

You're talking to a guy who has written an 11-page treatment for Island of the Mega Gorillas, a 13-page treatment for 2014: Acid Storm, and a 6-page treatment for Sharkitect: Builder by Day, Destroyer by Night.

YOU DON"T KNOW MY CRAZY

/too lazy to write the screenplays; too crazy to stop writing treatments

Does Asylum know (or care about) the difference between a screenplay and a treatment?

Last edited by Invid (2011-07-19 14:08:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I thought I'd kick it up a notch since they seemed unimpressed with my PowerPoint slides featuring pictures of robots fighting dinosaurs.

I don't care what they say. Robot Invaders of Dinosaur Island is a great idea. "None of the characters can talk" is not thinking creatively. Haven't they ever heard of "show, don't tell"? And "How can a dinosaur fall in love with a robot?" DUH. It's a GIRL robot. I don't know how those guys got successful in the first place.

Zarban wrote:

Haven't they ever heard of "show, don't tell"?

No.

I'd rent Robot Invaders of Dinosaur Island. Just think, it'd be right next to 2005's Robots on the video store shelf.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Acid Storm and Sharkitect both got laughs out of me.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

And "How can a dinosaur fall in love with a robot?"

It's not like there's not a precedent.

/I am so sorry you guys

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH GOD MY EYES

Really it's my fault for clicking a link to a website called "Dinosaurs Fucking Robots".

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

question: is it safe to assume that we can use the wonderland thing for all fantasy movies?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH MY GOD AN OPPORTUNITY

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/852/beanschartsmall.jpg

I refer you to this chart (click for big) and this post, wherein I go into completely invented detail on that very line of thinking!

But for the tl; dr version, here's the relevant passage:

I wrote:

Fantasy universe refers to a lot of things, but as a matter of shorthand - heh - well, this one includes Magic Characters, Magic Technology, AND the other two subcategories of Magic Circumstances - Fictional History and Fictional Sentience. Star Wars, Up, Hook and The Fifth Element all contain magic characters, magic tech, fictional histories and fictional sentiences. (Princess Bride is here too, but it doesn't require a fictional sentience.) Cool, huh? Next time someone asks you what a fantasy is, that might be a handy basis of argument.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How much to option Sharkitect?

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm flexible, by which I mean cheap.

It's the pulse-pounding story of an architect-surfer with awesome abs who survives a strange shark attack only to find himself drawn to the sea every full moon, where he transforms into a horrible fish monster that feasts on the blood of innocent swimmers. Can he keep his terrible secret from his buxom girlfriend by sequestering himself in their pool despite her habit of late-night topless swims? Can he regain the credit for his building design, stolen by his boss while he was recovering? Can he hunt down the strange, otherworldly demon shark that bit him before he is found out by the crazed monster hunter he has hired to help him? ONLY TIME WILL TELL

Zarban wrote:

I'm flexible, by which I mean cheap.

It's the pulse-pounding story of an architect-surfer with awesome abs who survives a strange shark attack only to find himself drawn to the sea every full moon, where he transforms into a horrible fish monster that feasts on the blood of innocent swimmers. Can he keep his terrible secret from his buxom girlfriend by sequestering himself in their pool despite her habit of late-night topless swims? Can he regain the credit for his building design, stolen by his boss while he was recovering? Can he hunt down the strange, otherworldly demon shark that bit him before he is found out by the crazed monster hunter he has hired to help him? ONLY TIME WILL TELL

SOLD

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Who wouldn't want to see that movie? Someone call Robert Rodriguez. He would totally make this movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Turn it into an adaptation of The Fountainhead, and I think we have something here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dude.  Once I'm done with the movie I just got "cast" in, I'm totally working on Sharkitect.  No lie, I could do that for like 600 bucks.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down