Re: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Whatever

Oh man, can I have a walk-on part as an Australian surfer* who makes smart arse remarks while being eaten?

*I cannot surf

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just revised the treatment to 12 pages, and there's a sweet role for a jet ski rider who saves the protagonist at the beginning and then gets eaten himself, but you'll have to talk to the man who just optioned it for 600 bucks.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Oh no, the BUDGET is 600 bucks.  Best I can give you for the treatment is a cameo and some chewing gum, and you've gotta pay your own trans.  But isn't it worth it to be part of HOLLYWOOD HISTORY?

Also, no surfing ability will be required in this film.  Now that I've optioned the script, Sharkitect will not be attacked while surfing, but rather while working in his Architect office late one night.

Last edited by Kyle (2011-07-20 08:03:03)

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I enjoyed this commentary, but I'm surprised you guys didn't talk more about the score.  My sister is a huge fan of the books, but really looked down on the movies, save for the music. If it wasn't for the music my sister and all her Potter fan friends would detest the movies.  Do you hold the score for this movie very highly?

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They never talk about the score because they can't hear the movie while they watch it.

I look forward to the eventual video-only DIF movie score commentary.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FireFighter214 wrote:

I enjoyed this commentary, but I'm surprised you guys didn't talk more about the score.

I think they said they weren't really enamored of the music. "Hedwig's Theme" (the main title theme) has a naval feel to it, if you ask me. But I like it.

Kyle wrote:

Oh no, the BUDGET is 600 bucks. ... Now that I've optioned the script, Sharkitect will not be attacked while surfing, but rather while working in his Architect office late one night.

$600 BUDGET?! That won't even pay for the squibs for the ineffectual gunfire!

Attacked by a wereshark in an office building? Okay. That's doable....

Gunfire will be done with strobes and foley work, obviously.  Almost all wereshark footage will be done in silhouette.

I've thought this through.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So the name wasn't changed just because Americans would get confused with the other book with that name?

PunBB bbcode test

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

WHAT

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

PunBB bbcode test

"Flamingos. Very dangerous. You go first."

Faldor wrote:

So the name wasn't changed just because Americans would get confused with the other book with that name?

PunBB bbcode test

That should have been Indy 4.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

They never talk about the score because they can't hear the movie while they watch it.

I look forward to the eventual video-only DIF movie score commentary.

I know the sound is off, but they have talked about the music in several other commentaries.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll be going into it inevitably.

We still have seven movies.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My copy of the movie has the Rifftrax merged with it, and while re-listening to the podcast with it just now I got to the point where the giant is explaining to Harry what a Muggle is. The riff changes his dialog to "You see, Harry, when a group of people is different it helps to come up with a funny sounding word, or 'slur', to describe them." By any chance do the books deal with that aspect of it?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's never really addressed in that way. It's kind of like the Louis CK bit about the word "Jew" -- it can be either the perfectly polite way to refer to a group, or the slur for the same group, depending entirely on how much stank you put on it.

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Oh shutup mudblood.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, see that one, that's a slur.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I'm flexible, by which I mean cheap.

It's the pulse-pounding story of an architect-surfer with awesome abs who survives a strange shark attack only to find himself drawn to the sea every full moon, where he transforms into a horrible fish monster that feasts on the blood of innocent swimmers. Can he keep his terrible secret from his buxom girlfriend by sequestering himself in their pool despite her habit of late-night topless swims? Can he regain the credit for his building design, stolen by his boss while he was recovering? Can he hunt down the strange, otherworldly demon shark that bit him before he is found out by the crazed monster hunter he has hired to help him? ONLY TIME WILL TELL

That actually sounds really good.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

"Muggle" is the clinical term, it just sounds sorta negative.  Mudblood is the M-word.

I don't recall a derogatory alternative to "Squib" (the non-magical offspring of magical parents), but is there one?    You'd think that'd be the one with the nastiest name - being the non-magical child of a wizard family would be worse than just being a Muggle.   Or is Squib the slur?

/too lazy to google
/cause i'm a netsquib

Trey wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

"Muggle" is the clinical term, it just sounds sorta negative.  Mudblood is the M-word.

I don't recall a derogatory alternative to "Squib" (the non-magical offspring of magical parents), but is there one?    You'd think that'd be the one with the nastiest name - being the non-magical child of a wizard family would be worse than just being a Muggle.   Or is Squib the slur?

/too lazy to google
/cause i'm a netsquib

'Squib' is a lot like 'bastard'. If it's true of you, you can't really be too put out when someone calls you it, but then, when someone calls you it, they're not typically saying it nicely.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

on the Martin Scorsese idea if you want to see what it would have been like check out his new movie called "Hugo"
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/hugo/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

When ever I watch "time bandits", "baron m" , "12 monkeys" and especially "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" i think of what a Terry Gilliam HP would have been like..story wise not that different but its feel would have been closer to the later movies and been a bit more over the top up front. He would have been great for the set up movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Parnassus is so wrong in so many ways.... It's close to being great, but ends up just a mess. Replacing Ledger with different actors inside the Imaginarium is NOT the problem, tho.

It would actually make a good DIF, I think. An autopsy of sorts, with a lot of "what if he had done X instead of Y" discussion.

I think Gilliam is a disorganized thinker. He's the Charles Manson of film making, as opposed to the Ted Bundy of film making.

I remember seeing 'The Brothers Grimm', and my only thought was, 'why did I just watch a silly movie shot entirely on sound-stages?'. To be honest, the only Gilliam movie that's ever impressed me is the bits of 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote' that made it into the documentary.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

"Scorsese would not have been interested in making a kid's fantasy film." -Dorkman

The greatest thing about this commentary is that the trailer for Scorsese's new kid's fantasy film premiered before the final Harry Potter movie. If only they had known...

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down