Topic: I'm about to make a controversial statement

Source Code might be one of the best science fiction movies I've ever seen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: I'm about to make a controversial statement

Never seen it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked it a lot. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie in the theater with little to no knowledge beforehand and was pleasantly surprised and didn't feel like I had wasted my money.

It has a magic bean that is clever and has interesting, well designed rules and, for the most part, everybody gives a wonderful performance (Jeffrey Wright not so much).

A+++ would watch again.

Tee-hee: http://www.the-editing-room.com/source-code.html smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Nnnnnnnnnope.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Nnnnnnnnnope.

Does this mean you didn't care for the film? I've not seen it yet myself, but I am curious to check it out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Terrible ending, but the rest of the film was brilliant.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Havn't seen it. is that the one directed by the Moon dude?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-07-24 14:14:47)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Terrible ending…

That was the part I liked best. There's a lot of very deep sci-fi buried in that ending, none of which was spoon-fed to the audience. I loved that.

Maybe I'm giving it too much credit, but it's kind of like Primer in a way. You can watch it for what it is, and that's fine, but if you have a thorough education in the philosophical interpretations of quantum physics, there are whole layers there that aren't at all evident otherwise. The tension in the last act is about whether, in the world of the story, the Bohr/Planck "Copenhagen school" interpretation is true, or whether Hugh Everett's idea is. During that one shot (you know the one I mean if you've seen it) I was on the edge of my seat, almost unbearably anxious to find out whether the story takes place in a unitary or a non-unitary universe.

Of course, it's entirely possible the writer, Ben Ripley, wouldn't know a wavefunction if one came up and introduced itself, and the whole nerdtastic intellectual layer of the movie is just purely accidental. But it works so well I have a hard time believing it was just a lucky guess.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2011-07-24 16:27:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Primer is up there on my list of best science fiction movies, 2001 being the best, in my opinion obviously.

I will save you the trouble of posting your disapproval Teague.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4375/nopedotavi.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The ending totally ruins the film for me. If they had faded to black on "that shot", the movie would have been beautiful, poignant, and satisfyingly dark. However, the last five minutes give us a cliched, forced conclusion, complete with some baffling sci-fi and cheesy sentiment. When I show it to people, I will shut it off before that scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spoken like a true cynic, Doc. Not every happy ending has to be "cliched" or "forced."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

***SPOILER ALERT***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I agree with you there. Tons of happy endings work without cheese. But in the context of everything that came before it, this ending didn't for me. And this one was definitely forced. When your ending requires you to invent some completely new sci-fi bullshit to justify it being optimistic, don't do that ending. The movie was totally uncomfortable with allowing its main character to die a happy death, even when the audience wasn't. I may be a cynic, but I thought the movie was cynical as well. In that way, the ending was a total cop-out.

EDIT: And even if I did buy that absurd "alternate universes" crap, the ending raises dozens of questions that it refuses to answer in favor of watching our hero walk happily into the sunset (in someone else's body, by the way. I guess there's no room for that poor guy in this brave new world!)

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2011-07-25 02:58:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I recall watching Source Code with an extremely intelligent debatefag sci-fi fan, and afterward, when he said he loved it, I reigned down with three completely different arguments he couldn't satisfactorily refute.

The problem is, this is a useless appeal to authority, because I don't remember the film well enough to go back through said arguments. So. Yeah, abstaining due to ambivalence due to lack of desire to revisit the movie before I have to. (See; gun point, or DIF.) Suffice it to say, the movie had me rolling my eyes and never stopped them rolling.

I stick with the party line we had collectively for "Moon:" this is not perfect sci-fi, and arguably isn't great sci-fi, but I want more movies like this please.

EDIT: It should be noted that my default opinion of Jeff's take on sci-fi is "he's right," but a lot of that is based on his downright unsettlingly impressive thoughts on Primer. However, in this particular instance I wonder about his willingness to doll out benefit of doubt. Source Code ain't no Primer.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeff's article about Primer blew my mind, it made me realize how dumb I am.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sounds like Source Code is prime DIF material...

Yeah, go for it. I liked it alot. These sorts of character and concept-driven movies seem to be rare these days.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I loved Source Code but thought Primer was bobbins...

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Solely because of this thread, I rented Source Code last night.  Thought it was great.     The ending made perfect sense to me, and should have to anyone who understood Back to the Future II, since it's the same premise.   

Not a transcendant OMG best movie EVAR, but entertaining and well made in all respects.  And as Teague said, love it or hate it, there should be more movies like that.

Spoiler - The one issue that I would quibble about is the "erasure" of the poor fella whose body gets inhabited.   The movie sorta ignores this, and not surprisingly.     But the inhabit-ee was dead when the story began, and in no scenario could he have survived without everyone else dying too.  Unfortunate, yes, but that's just the way the equation played out.  So the incident did have one casualty after all. 

Yes, I would have preferred the movie give some acknowledgement of that unavoidable fact, but I can understand why they chose to just downplay it.

Okay, I'm willing to give this flick a shot. Filmspotting liked it too.* So why are we all surprised that it might not be terrible? Just Gyllenhaal? His Donnie Darko street cred has worn off? Did he catch Nick Cage Disease?

*They don't know much about genre films.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Last I looked, it's got a ninety-one percent on Rotten Tomatoes. That doesn't mean much, but it means something.

Trey, as for your quibboiler:

I will totally go along if somebody says this could've been clearer. But within the mythology of the movie, it actually makes perfect sense. Every time the Source Code was run, a new parallel universe was created, cloned in a sense off the original one. In one of those parallel universes, the soul, for lack of a better word, of the guy whose body Jake G. "leaps" into doesn't make the copy; Jake G.'s soul gets copied in instead.

That's part of what I loved so much about the movie. The last act was incredibly suspenseful to me, not just because of the does-he-live-or-die thing, but because the magic bean was about to be revealed. Is it all-just-a-dream? Is it time travel Terminator-style? Time-travel BTTF-style? Or something else entirely? And it turns out it was something else entirely, and I thought that was awesome.

End of spoilification.

Thumbs up Thumbs down