Topic: New Airbender info

Huh.  Quoting:

"-- Daniel writes: On the third day of Comic Con (Saturday), there was a panel for the upcoming follow-up series to the popular Nickelodeon animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. The series is called The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra, which takes place roughly seventy years since the events of the first series. As the series will see expansions in various forms of martial arts, the show's creators have sought to incorporate references to different styles. Among them is mixed martial arts, which will be used as a basis to a form of a similar sport in the series called Pro Bending. The creators called upon Ultimate Fighter 6 winner and current UFC fighter Mac Danzig to provide reference demonstration. Danzig brought in recent Strikeforce fighter Jeremy Umphries to help out and both showcased their abilities in a reference video that was shown during the panel. No airdate has been announced yet for The Legend of Korra, though it is deep into production that a trailer premiered at the panel."

Iactually know Mac.  He used to train at Legends MMA around the same time I did.  I tend to get pissy when people reference MMA as a style unto itself, but Mac is a smart dude and I have confidence that his Jiu Jitsu will translate well. I don't know Umphries personally, but have heard very good things. 

Waiting, just waiting, for Dorkman's pov.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: New Airbender info

Very cool. I'm eagerly awaiting this show (along with the Bruce Timm Green Lantern animated TV series). Not only was the original great, but you have to respect creators who not only go in with a fixed length story, but refuse to extend it when it becomes a hit. Yes, this is a "sequel", but they waited until they had a good story and didn't just do another three years of the Aang Gang.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Loved the show. Trailer looks cool. "Pro bending"? Sure, why not. They did three seasons without blowing it (though the finale was rushed -- could've been its own season, practically), I'm on board for whatever they want to do next, at least for now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is it called "The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra" or "Avatar: Legend of Korra"? It would seem odd to me if it was the former, as Korra is a fire bender. At least, that's what I read in an earlier article. I loved the first show, tho, so I'll definitely check this one out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have to remember that despite being first, they've lost the Avatar naming war and want to avoid confusion. If there weren't to be more Avatar movies, maybe they'd keep using the title on TV.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Korra is a waterbender?

I'm very excited, squeee!

Last edited by Mr. Pointy (2011-08-05 05:58:49)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The video that got released post Comic-Con was really encouraging to me.

I still have to actually finish the first series, got through the first season before I had to stop due to other things taking up to much of my attention.

So now I have something to provide as a deadline to get through the rest before.

See what I've worked on recently here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2869151/
And ways to get in touch with me at:
http://www.google.com/profiles/SethBrower

I watched the first two episodes (http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-ko … id=showNav for at least US and Canada). It has the same charm as the other three seasons without repeating characters. The creators are still really good at choreographing engaging fight scenes and that translated into the Pro-Bending segments too.

Now to deal with withdrawal symptoms (again) until there are more episodes...

Last edited by Phi (2012-04-14 18:56:12)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

put this in the cool vids thread, probably more appropriate here
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/264/200/acb.jpg

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I want,... no, need MOAR GODDAMN IT!

Yeah maybe this season was slow, but that fuckin finale more than made up for it.

If I wasn't typing this on an iPad I'd write a long paragraph where I would nerd out and explain how awesome the whole series was while using extremely long run on sentences with tons of grammatical errors.

So to summarize:
OH MAH GAWD IT WAZ SO FUCKIN AMAZING

( I'm gonna go clean up the fluids from my nerdgasm now )

P.S. Finale

SPOILER Show
Damn, suicide seems a bit dark for Nickelodeon. Don't you think?
Also, yay Aang!

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Show
Need your brother-on-brother murder/suicide fix? Tune in to Nickelodeon right after Spongebob!

Seriously, I don't know how the Nick execs let them get away with that.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Hey, Nick, you know how you're no longer getting good ratings, and how we were your last big hit? Well..."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPOILER Show
http://i.imgur.com/vl1Tl.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Too soon?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is happening.

My brain is full of fuck...

... and I LOVE IT

Thumbs up Thumbs down

K, so I just watched the entire season in one day.

Much spoilers. Don't read this if you don't want to hate me. Show
Is it just me or did they just hit the reset button? I mean, this guy is probably gonna come back, but you've got the murder suicide, Korra getting her bending back and being able to give everyone else their's back as well. Assuming that the murder/suicide at the end actually sticks, then even the threat of losing your bending power is now gone.

I mean, I like the show so far. I think it was doing some really great stuff, but now I'm wondering what exactly they're going to do now, as all of the threats from this season have apparently been dealt with. The last episode had me going "WOW...  they actually went there... the stakes in this series are pretty high." and literally five minutes later it had me going "Oh you fucking cock suckers! You gave them back already? WTF?!"

And I think some of the background painters should try harder. Some of the backgrounds were kinda rough, which is fine, but some of the backgrounds were fuckin ROUGH. To the point of being unreadable.

I do like it tho. The half dozen or so main characters are really well fleshed out and have interesting interactions. It has a lot of the same charm as the previous series. I'm glad they bicker a lot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is a case where originally there was just to be a twelve episode mini-series, and that's it, but early on they were told to do a second 14 episode season. So, it could be the "reset" is left from when this was all there was going to be.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That makes sense. I do like the idea of them doing a bunch of different miniseries in this world.

Show
She should have lost her power in episode 9 or 10 and been stuck with airbending until the climactic battle, or until AFTER the climax. Spend a couple episodes with hear dealing with that. Heavy shit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

never was a fan of the original, and im trying to watch it all in order... but it still feels like a naruto clone to me. Not that thats a bad thing, but its a very narrow appeal.

but I digress, The legend of Korra wasn't half bad... except for any plot point that was brought up.... was usually resolved by the time the episode was over.

Show
especially the finale... which did feel like a reset button, undoing what little this seasons villain did.. but whatever, its just a kids show with a murder/suicide

Last edited by otero (2012-06-27 07:21:05)

otero wrote:

never was a fan of the original, and im trying to watch it all in order... but it still feels like a naruto clone to me. Not that thats a bad thing, but its a very narrow appeal.

I kinda felt the same way when I started watching it, but season two is pretty consistently great. I started the series by watching a couple episodes every day on netflix, but about 5 or 6 episodes into the second season I was like "Wow...  this is a fucking kid's show?" and pretty much watched the rest of the series in one weekend. The guys writing it obviously sat down and said "OK, we're gonna do one season in a really typical way where we set up heroes, set up the villains and set up the motivations and everything, then in season two we're gonna go through and tear all of that down by having our heroes and villains both walking around in a moral gray area where they question their goals."

It works really well, and a few of the season 2 episodes are probably some of the best kid's cartoon series episodes I've ever seen. The character arcs from the first to last season are pretty great. Every character has undergone some fundamental change in their worldview by the end, some very drastically, and it all makes sense and feels believable for that character.

Which is my only real problem with this one thus far. The most interesting character in this series right now is Asami Sato just due to the shit she has to deal with and the fact that at the end of the series, her issues are the only ones that have been left undealt with. Her world at the end of the series is totally different than it was at the beginning.

The rest of the characters are gonna have some awkward moments at cocktail parties when the conversation heads into politics and current events. Asami, meanwhile, is gonna be sitting in the corner crying and cutting herself.

Thumbs up Thumbs down