Topic: Ghostbusters 2

Hey guys, it's Dorkman.

As you'll hear, of the four regulars on the show this week, I have the strongest emotional connection to this particular film, so it's fitting that I should start the thread about it.

I know I said I'd put this in the blog, but I lied. I'm putting it here.

Here's the first of the fly-on-the-wall, behind-the-scenes videos about the making of GHOSTBUSTERS 2 -- or, more specifically, the creation of the movie's major ghost elements. You can find the rest of them via "Related Videos," or under the other "ForscheDesign" uploaded videos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Ghostbusters 2

You know what, I'm watching this right now on AMC and I don't care if it's the same movie. If you guys managed to reverse my opinion, I think it's reversed right back.

Maybe it's the same movie, but it still makes me laugh, dammit.

Last edited by Brian (2009-12-29 16:33:07)

Trey Stokes was being far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far too harsh on this film.

Yes it was probably a cash grab but it was a damn funny one.

There's a good laugh and a couple of chuckles every couple of minutes.  As a comedy it exceeds the required laugh quotant many times over. 99% of comedies being made today have nothing on this film.

Yes the plot using the same template as the original and I don't for one second believe they thought they were doing otherwise.  They were deliberately playing off people's familiarity with scenes from the original and giving them a new spin. 

The original Ghostbusters wasn't serious and this wasn't either.  It isn't intended to deepen or evolve the universe of the Ghostbusters, it's meant to give us another two hours of fun with our favourite characters from the first film.

The reason why the Ghostbusters aren't Ghostbusters at the beginning of the film is because they were bankrupted by the state after being sued because of all the destruction they caused.  Which if you see the political figures in these films is ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE!

Also if there is one reason why this movie needs to exist it's "Do, re, Egon." Classic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, I'm just about to start listening to this film. but i want to say a point before i start. I saw Ghostbusters 2 FIRST. and i loved it. you keep talking about perfect movies and in my eyes this is one of them. Every set up they make pays off, the bad guy is WAY more threatening than the first and i feel that what they did with making the city hate them (although hard to believe) is a great hurdle for them to jump.

I will now watch your commentary and have my childhood shattered smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great work, guys. This movie has a lot going for it, but the fact that it basically retraces the steps of the first one is an insurmountable problem. Vigo works for me (altho there does need to be more villainy) but the walking Liberty doesn't, for some reason. Logically speaking, doesn't Vigo just want *a* baby? What a terrible idea it is to decide to steal the baby of a woman who is personal friends with the Ghostbusters. Crack babies practically littered the streets in 1989!

I'm *not* looking forward to GB3. Has *any* 25-years-later sequel worked? Maybe Rocky Balboa, I guess.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Uh, The Phantom Menace?

/this is not a serious comment

/in the event of a serious comment resembling this, stay calm

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Well, Phantom Menace did have all the Rastafarian frogmen and jet-engine-powered chariots I'd been hoping for from Star Wars after all those years....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Does anybody have another link for the video Dorkman posted. The youtube account it was on is closed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I remember being in Stornoway for a week whilst we looked for a house up there (North West Scotland). I was quite young (11 or 12 maybe) at the time and the hotel had a small cinema in it which you could go to for free if you were staying there.  I went every night for 6, yes, six, nights. I LOVED it.  I saw the film recently, its "okay", not brilliant, not pants, but just okay.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There doesn't seem to be a thread started for this episode. Hmmm....

Anyway. I just wanted to say that as far as the plot for this movie goes,
I remember clearly when I first watched this movie at age 14 in the theater,
that the reason for them all being split up was due to there not being any
ghosts anywhere to catch.
I think that people forget that even in the first movie that they had never, ever
seen a ghost till the library scene, and that the only reason that that library ghost
was there at all was because of the "Gozer Day" approaching. As soon as they got rid
of Gozer they would NOT be able to see ANY ghost, let alone catch them, and would be
forces to go back doing whatever they were doing before. Now that they had part 2
to see, we were able to actual see them go back to there regular jobs. When the
new threat come about, and the supernatural activity is back to levels where it
can be detected by humans again, they are back in business.
Basically ts like this: The Ghostbusters live in the same world we do. If there
had been no gozer day, they  would have still been kicked out of the university
and most likely be in these jobs that they are in now, minus the Ghostbusters party gigs.

Thumbs up Thumbs down