Topic: Cowboys and Aliens

One scene is going to make this movie work for Teague.

I myself don't know what to think about the movie(I'd just ate at Fogo De Chao, the craziest place I've ever eaten, then had to RUN to a theater). All i remember is all the actors having pretty solid performances, and that Olivia Wilde was hot, and that there were 2 distinct tones the movie switches back and forth between.

The slow, dusty, badass cowboys on a mission feeling, and the scary OH SHIT aliens. I dont necessarily think its a bad thing that the tone of the movie changes on a dime to each genre(it does have a title that suggests that doesn't it?).

All of the setups (that i can remember [cept one]) are paid off, and i found it pretty enjoyable.... but that might be the steak talking.

PS: The Battleship trailer looked awful. Please tell me Hollywood isn't gonna keep doing this?

Last edited by MadBadCoyote (2011-08-11 02:29:49)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Cowboys and Aliens

Saw this last night, finally.  (I had to, for research.)  And oh, the flames.   Flames in my head.   I cannot wait for this thing to come out on video so we can DIF it into a puddle.   

It's a textbook case of how to do things wrong - genre, plotting, character development... oh the list goes on.    And just when I thought it couldn't get worse... a second Magic Bean?   Really, movie? 

I agree that the cast was the best feature - Daniel Craig makes a surprisingly convincing cowboy, it was fun to see Harrison play a bad(ish) guy, and I'm always happy to see Clancy Brown in anything.    Oddly enough, Sam Rockwell didn't make much of an impression, any number of actors could have played that role.   

But Olivia Wilde's character - and now I finally know who Olivia Wilde is - shouldn't have been in the movie at all.   From a filmmaking perspective, everything that character said and did, even her very existence, was the wrong choice.    I would have cut that character out entirely, but I suspect the opposite is true - I bet that character was a late addition to the script, when somebody decided the movie needed a deus-ex-machina Explaino-bot. 

Other than some nice trailer-moment action scenes - at least they were able to get THAT right - an unimaginative waste of a potentially fun premise.    Prime DiF material, fer sure.

Re: Cowboys and Aliens

Trey wrote:

And oh, the flames.   Flames in my head.

If that isn't a t-shirt and/or Photoshop opportunity, I don't know what is.