Topic: The Lost World

Phyew. Glad we got that out of the way.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Lost World

As much as you are a fan of the (Swedish, btw) actor Peter Stormare, when are y'all gonna learn to pronounce his name properly? smile

It's a three syllable surname, it is not "stor-mare" it's "Stor-ma-re", roughly pronounced "Stoohr-Mah-raeh"

I can record an audio schnippet for you if you like smile

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

was it just me, or does this movie seem like a toy commercial?

MasterZap wrote:

It's a three syllable surname, it is not "stor-mare" it's "Stor-ma-re", roughly pronounced "Stoohr-Mah-raeh"

So…Stormare, but with an annoying thick Swedish accent? Naw, I'll stick with Store-mare, thanks.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Strange that the panel dislikes JP2 largely because the characters don't behave realistically and yet the panel liked The Mist in spite of the fact that the characters' actions are utterly ridiculous.

Also, it's okay to pronounce foreign names with your native accent, but not to just pretend the foreign name is an English word—so /stor-MAR-ay/.

Last edited by Zarban (2011-08-08 15:45:08)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

We dislike JP2 because the characters don't behave realistically, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand a bunch of other shit.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finished watching.

I think the movie just needed another draft. Smooth out Ian’s motivations, dump Kelly entirely, eliminate some of the red shirts (Aliens-style massacre, maybe), and punch up the dialog (only Goldblum got decent lines).

If Spielberg wanted to bring a T-rex back, then make that central to the story by becoming the third act and not a superfluous fourth ("Your girlfriend went to stop my nephew!"). The panel is right that the ship crash would be a great opening scene, but you could do that by making it a frame story. Start there, then go "ONE MONTH EARLIER" and get rid of the rich picnickers.

Framing device! I love it! Phantom Edit!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Also, it's okay to pronounce foreign names with your native accent, but not to just pretend the foreign name is an English word—so /stor-MAR-ay/.

The Japanese call him Peetaa Sutohmayah, so, I think there's people to complain about before coming after America.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2011-08-09 00:08:00)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

The Japanese call him Peetaa Sutohmayah, so, I think there's people to complain about being coming after America.

LOL yes, but that's a fair approximation of it in a Japanese accent, given their consonants and rules. It's like "ice cream" becoming "ah-su-ku-re-mu". They're doing their best with their rules.

However, I have heard Japanese speakers complain that Americans don't pronounce the initial T in "tsunami" and that shit's bananas. (We shouldn't even be using "tsunami" to replace "tidal wave" because it means "harbor wave" which is just as inaccurate. We should use "super wave" and be done with it.  mad)

Zarban wrote:

The panel is right that the ship crash would be a great opening scene, but you could do that by making it a frame story. Start there, then go "ONE MONTH EARLIER" and get rid of the rich picnickers.

That's not a framing device, that's in media res or according to TVtropes, How We Got Here. And, in my opinion, it's a cheap hook and lazy writing.

It's basically the writer saying, "I can't be bothered to think up an interesting opening that establishes what I need to establish, so here's the climax right up front."

Your FACE is a cheap hook!

EDIT: ...oh my god, wait. Finifter is a Jewish name, isn't it? I... uh... that's not what I... LOOK OVER THERE. SOMETHING ELSE.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/images/e/e3/Gringotts_Head_Goblin.jpg

Brian made a Harry Potter reference! Isn't that one of the signs of the end times?

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2011-08-09 04:53:37)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Brian Finifter wrote:

That's not a framing device, that's in media res or according to TVtropes, How We Got Here. And, in my opinion, it's a cheap hook and lazy writing.

It's basically the writer saying, "I can't be bothered to think up an interesting opening that establishes what I need to establish, so here's the climax right up front."

I feel like Brian is being especially finicky here...Finifter? Finicky?...Brian "Science!" Finicker! smile

To me, this isn't lazy. Cheap is subjective. A hook? Sure, but so what? A hook never hurt anyone (except maybe fish. HEY-O!). In any case, I feel this is just another way of telling your story. It's part of the language. Both Memento and Inception open at their climax/ending, essentially (as does The Prestige, now that I think about it. Heh, how amusing). There are a number of television shows that use this device as well. In fact, there are specific programs (sadly, no titles come to mind to help illustrate my point, but it's late and I'm tired) that format their entire run this way (start late in the story, then backtrack and build up to it).

EDITED TO ADD: Grounded For Life was one of the examples I was trying to think of.

Last edited by johnpavlich (2011-08-09 06:41:42)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now that I've heard Trey trash 'A Bridge Too Far', you guys must do that film smile I love it for the historical aspects, but would love to hear criticism of it as a movie. I'm sure it has tons of flaws, but it's one of the few "based on an actual battle" movies I like. It has less cheese then it's sibling movie 'The Longest Day' at the very least.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, if you've got a solid thematic reason to do it, knock yourself out. But if you realize your script (or rough cut) is just too damn slow at the outset so you lop off the first half of your climax and throw it up front, then that's lazy. If you're gonna do it, have a good reason for it.

I'm sorry, I just watched too many episodes of Battlestar Galactica that tried to cover their poor plotting by throwing their cheap cliffhanger in the teaser to have much patience for this gag anymore.

Brian Finifter wrote:

Hey, if you've got a solid thematic reason to do it, knock yourself out. But if you realize your script (or rough cut) is just too damn slow at the outset so you lop off the first half of your climax and throw it up front, then that's lazy. If you're gonna do it, have a good reason for it.

I'm sorry, I just watched too many episodes of Battlestar Galactica that tried to cover their poor plotting by throwing their cheap cliffhanger in the teaser to have much patience for this gag anymore.

I was going to hop in here and reference BSG but here you are doing it already.

Yeah.

I hate it.

'FlashForward' also did it a lot and made me want to stab a bitch every time.

EDIT: Finished the commentary. Good stuff. As for JP4…do you guys realize that there were 8 years between JP and JP3, and now 10 years since JP3? That's messed up.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2011-08-09 08:13:13)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Meh. "How we got there" IS a type of frame story. Imagine if the Titanic frame story ended not with old Rose wistfully remembering Jack with an idiotic empty gesture but with the same iceberg crashing into the dock, coming ashore, and running amok. Same thing (and way better than Cameron's version).

And LAZY? HOW DARE YOU, SIR? I say lazy is opening with a completely unrelated scene of a little girl getting nipped by compies off-screen.

/tucks umbrella under arm, smooths mustache, and stalks off

I can't wait for the next JP commentary where they can talk about raptor communication and the benefits of T-Rex urine.

The original JP was one of my most ultimate favoritest movies ever when I was 13 or so and saw it in the theater a half dozen times. The series has disappointed me greatly. JP2 came out of left field for me. They wrote into the first movie the fact that the dinos couldn't have survived due to the lyzene issue, so I had assumed that the sequel would have been about some other corporation retrieving DNA samples from the dead dinos (or the few remaining live dinos) or that the fact that they were breeding in the first movie pretty much trumped that whole lyzene problem.

The first one felt more "sci-fi". There's a scene where they inspect poop to figure out what the dinos are eating. The main characters are people who would know a lot about dinosaurs. The second one has a mathematician and ...  a photo journalist?... and some kind of black-ops guy?... and a bunch of big game hunters?... and a kid? At least the one kid in the original knew something about dinosaurs. There's only one guy who knows anything about dinosaurs in this movie, and he's only there to explain how deadly they are, or explain behavior patterns that he wouldn't even know about given that we've not had a chance to study T-Rex behavior in the wild. This one feels like a bad monster movie, where the first one was more of a science-out-of-control sort of movie. The characters were terrified, but they used their knowledge of dinos to be logical about stuff, and Grant especially was sorta studying the things even as he was running from them.

In fact, I think that should have been the plot. It should have been "some crazy group of paleontologists goes to study the dinosaurs in the wild." Maybe it's two different teams in two different locations and one of the teams ends up needing to be rescued or something. Nice and simple plot that you can add layers of character development and subplots to. That was why the first film worked. It wasn't just the dinosaurs eating people. It was the people they were eating. The second movie forgot that you had to care about the people before the dinosaurs should try to eat them. And you're right about the dino violence. Don't make them all man-eating monsters. I doubt a stegosaurus would attack a puny little human like that just for getting too close. We sure as hell don't look like a threat. They'd probably barely notice you were there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't listened to the full commentary yet, so I don't know if this is addressed or not.  But I feel like the problem with Teague's cleaned-up, save-the-animals version is that the dinosaurs essentially no longer become a threat. 

Sure, in JP 1, the dinosaurs weren't evil and didn't want to eat you because it was fun.  But we certainly weren't rooting for them either.  They were the antagonist, and it was a simple man vs. nature story.  Now granted, as with most man v. nature tales, a lesson was learned and we realize we never should have tampered with nature in the first place.  But this was all more conceptual, and not a physical series of actions throughout the film of people intending to capture/control the dinosaurs.

If we place all this focus on the hunters in Lost World, it becomes less clear who our antagonist is.  The only way to really do it would be to completely eliminate the dinosaurs as a threat, and make it just about stopping the "bad guys."  But then you completely eliminate the reason people go to see a Jurassic Park movie.

And then if you throw both in, it becomes a man vs. nature vs. man? story.  It's like making a movie where our hero tries to stop poachers from harming panda bears.  Oh yeah, and the panda bears also EAT YOU!!!

EDIT: Better example.  Jaws 5!!  Chief Brody has to stop the bad men from hurting the shark.

Last edited by gzarra (2011-08-09 19:50:46)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

What about Rise of the Lost World: Jurassic Park? Just do what Rise of the Apes did, but with dinosaurs. You don't have to make them intelligent, but you can do similar characters with similar motivations.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

gzarra wrote:

And then if you throw both in, it becomes a man vs. nature vs. man? story.

But we see those all the time. Any disaster film generally has this element, to varying degrees of success. Our main characters may be trying to survive the hurricane/blizzard/earthquake/alien invasion, but ultimately the meat of the conflict almost always comes from the other human beings. The disaster du jour doesn't become less of a threat -- we still get action scenes where our heroes have to run from some variation of explosions -- but the force of nature is precisely a force of nature, it doesn't have intent the way the antagonizing humans do.

If the story of JP2 was that Malcolm's crazy environmentalist girlfriend wanted to save the dinosaurs from poachers or whatever, that doesn't make the dinosaurs non-threatening at all, because the dinosaurs don't understand or care that some of the pink snacks are "on their side."

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

What about Rise of the Lost World: Jurassic Park? Just do what Rise of the Apes did, but with dinosaurs. You don't have to make them intelligent, but you can do similar characters with similar motivations.

I'm for this as long as it means James Franco gets eaten by some dinosaurs.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmmm, you might be right.  I still kind of feel though that in most of those cases, all the human conflict rises out of HOW we all overcome the force of nature.  Who here should be the leader?  What's the best way to defeat the aliens?  Character conflicts play out, but at the end of the day everything that is going on is subservient to our hero(s) overcoming the nature and getting out alive.

Sometimes I guess the force of nature is just a catalyst (like in any other story) for forcing characters to work out their already-growing problems.  Jeff Goldblum confronting his ex-wife, Alan Grant learning how to work with children.  There's always other things in play.  But at the end of the day, Goldblum and co. are just trying to stop the aliens, and Grant is just trying to escape the dinosaurs. 

I feel like if you make the clear distinction of the good guys, and the bad guys they have to stop from hurting the dinosaurs...we lose a bit of focus.  What is the overarching objective here?  To survive the dinosaurs or to stop the others from capturing them? 

Again, I still haven't finished listening to this commentary yet, so I may be missing something.  But I think there's a problem in "focusing" the plot on the hunters and making it clear that stopping them is what our heroes need to do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down