Topic: A Few Good Men

Reposted from the Release/Record thread:

Teague wrote:

This morning I was in some pretty severe pain, and then during the episode it went from bad to impossible. Wrestled with the notion of not going, but it got to the point where I was about to start screaming, so I quickly hammered out the outro script on Brian's iPad and went to an urgent care center.

After arriving and waiting an hour, I was told 1. that there was no MD available today, and that they thusly couldn't provide narcotics and 2. that I just had a muscle spasm in my back, here's a prescription for Motrin. (Displaying a very low threshold for both "urgent" and "care.")

I have had kidney stones before, and I felt strongly that what I was experiencing was a lodged kidney stone (it has to scrape its way from your kidney to your bladder before the passing-it part happens, and the period where it goes from kidney to bladder is by far the most painful bit, lasting hours). In the car, I called Cloe who's in San Francisco with her parents (a doctor and a surgeon) and, after explaining my symptoms, her mom said she was certain I had gotten a shit diagnosis and told me to get to a hospital immediately.

I was quite willing to do so, because I was in frustrated, overwhelming, unrelenting pain at that point. I hopped on the highway to get to the nearest hospital and encountered a traffic jam that seemed like the end of the world. Upon arriving at the emergency room, I filled out paperwork in a crumpled heap on the floor and before I had even finished, they had me back in the rooms answering preliminary questions and all. Very shortly thereafter, they put me in a gown and gave me an IV with dilaudid (a very strong painkiller, stronger than morphine) and gave me a sonogram. The painkillers kicked in and after three or four hours of this mess, I was finally numb, and the result of the sonogram was that I was right from the get go. It's a kidney stone jammed between my kidney and bladder.

They eventually gave me another shot of dilaudid and a script for percocet, and sent me on my way. This brings us to the present.

Thanks for the well wishes everybody, I still have a long weekend ahead of me.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: A Few Good Men

A Few Good Men on IMDB

A Few Good Men on tvtropes.org

Keelhauling
Atheists in Foxholes
Guantanamo Bay
The United States Marine Corps
And the Sea Will Tell, by Vincent Bugliosi

http://www.downinfront.net/images/galloway_ribbons.jpg

Galloway has 5 ribbons.  Ribbons are "read" from upper left, to lower right.  This is referred to as "order of precedence," with higher awards coming first.  For example, the Medal of Honor, our highest award, would be on the top row. furthest to the left.
Galloway has the following ribbons in order of precedence:

Meritorious Service Medal
(The Bronze Service Star indicates that she has received a second MSMs.)
Navy Commendation Medal
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation
National Defense Service Medal
Navy Expert Pistol Award

Here is a good reference for all Naval ribbons; if you had one of each, this is how your chest would look.
Navy Ribbons

Hey, it's the Medal of Who.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/uniforms/uniformregulations/PublishingImages/Navy%20Awards/R6_05.jpg

http://www.intellectualblathering.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tom_baker_scarf.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still so want to hate Demi Moore.

And I still sooo want her.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

This was the pinnacle of Demi Moore's human form. This movie is when it peaked.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The caption for this episode over on the main page of the site made me literally laugh out loud....hard. Thank you for that! smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I still so want to hate Demi Moore.

And I still sooo want her.

I used to hate Demi Moore. Her arrogance with her garbage movies like Striptease, Disclosure and the Scarlet Letter was infuriating. Then after a while the hate turned to just bored indifference. I even thought she did a good job in Mr Brooks.

Also, I know a large part of her has been rebuilt Bionic Woman style but I nearly fell out of my chair when she did the "bikini slow-mo walk" in Charlie's Angels 2.

Hope you get better Teague, kidney stones are the worst.

I thought Demi Moore was cute in the 80s and I thought her original boobs were fine. The new ones? Ugh. That scene in Striptease when she reveals them makes me want to vomit, to be honest.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I thought Demi Moore was cute in the 80s and I thought her original boobs were fine. The new ones? Ugh. That scene in Striptease when she reveals them makes me want to vomit, to be honest.

I know, right? What is it with women and their bolt-ons? Who actually likes them?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I laughed out loud at 'bolt-ons' big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm really glad that phrase is starting to catch on, actually.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

That phrase is totally streets ahead.

NNNNO

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FixedR6 wrote:

I know, right? What is it with women and their bolt-ons? Who actually likes them?

Me, nothing wrong with bring able to upgrade em  wink  Besides I train with fitness and BB girls, once they start cutting body fat their real ones tend to disappear.

I am also incredibly shallow but I'm fine with that

Last edited by Maggot1300 (2011-08-25 20:15:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, bolt ons aren't very fetch.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, well, since the thread has taken this direction anyway...

Real, fake, big, small...I don't care.  I only care about three things.  Well, two.

First, that she is happy with what she's got.  Self esteem is huge, and if there's an issue with that, there's not necessarily a whole lot you can do.  Not to get into specifics, but... my last relationship partner wasn't terribly well endowed.  I was perfectly happy with what she had, but she was rather self-conscious about them.  The running gag from her was that they were "on vacation."  It was simply not a subject that could be brought up without becoming an issue, and it was a real problem with our intimacy. 

The second thing has to do with the difference between what's advertised, and what you actually get.  To be honest, I don't actually care about this, but it is necessary to discuss  a few things before moving on to my next point.  These days there are all kinds of support garments on the market, from strictly supportive, to barely there; from simple fabric, to enough padding to make anyone look like they're smuggling water balloons.  I don't care about this either.  So it's an illusion, so what?  I know the girl in the box at a magic show isn't actually being cut in half, but I don't enjoy the show any less.  A degree of "false advertising" is perfectly fine; since there is a limit to how much enhancement a support structure can offer, the chances of unwrapping a basketball and finding a ping-pong ball are slim.  The real issue with this point comes down to structural integrity, or what happens when they are left to their own natural devises.

Which brings us to the third issue; how do they behave, in the absence of their support structure?  This part comes down to two factors: attachment point, and gravity. 

Scenario A: Imagine pressing a pair of peeled oranges into a stretched membrane, and attaching the whole thing to your chest.  Now imagine the shape that outlines the oranges…circular, right?  Now gravity is going to exert a natural downward direction on them, but you can imagine that regardless of orientation, that deflection will be about the same.  Flat on your back they might flatten out slightly, or on all fours they might hang a bit further away, but that's it.  In an extreme case they wouldn't move at all.

Scenario B: Now imagine you've pushed your oranges a bit too far into the membrane, so that when you attach the whole thing to your chest, they don't actually make contact with your chest, but hang out in front of you.  Now imagine the shape that outlines that attachment.  I'll save you the trouble, it's an oval.  Do a head stand and they'll be in your face; lay on your back and they'll be in your armpits; get on all fours and…well, you get the idea.  Ok, take your oranges off now because you look ridiculous.

What we're talking about here is sag, and one might think that one scenario is preferable to another, but let's take another look.  Imagine a chart, with size on the X access, and sag in the Y.  For discussion's sake we'll give the X access a maximum of 10, and the Y a maximum of -10.  In each example, the 0 line of the Y access bisects the attachment point, and the Y number represents the deflection gravity exerts when standing.  Let's look at the extreme cases:

(10, -10): They're huge, and hang so low they actually point down.  Good chance you're getting knocked unconscious if you're not careful.  Probably best to keep these under wraps.  Or wear a helmet.
(10, 0): Huge and yet seem to defy gravity. Y access could very well go into positive numbers.  Welcome to silicone valley. 
(1, -10): Small, yet seemingly without form; seem to be attached at the lower rib cage.  Grandma at the beach in a bikini.
(1, 0): Small, perky.  Barely legal.  Probably best to ask for an ID.

(I apologize for the lack of a model; it would likely have been crude, not scaled properly or painted anyway, so.) Without casting judgement on anyone's personal taste, we can see that too far in any direction will take us into someone's discomfort zone.

Finally, the whole real vs. fake issue.  Real ones can be just as disturbing as fake ones.  A (10, -10) is a (10, -10), real or fake.  Fake ones can be done extremely well, the trouble is they aren't cheap.  Image is a big deal in a lot of cultures around the world these days, and if a bit of enhancement helps someone feel better about themselves, I say go for it, just spend what it takes to do it right.  More relationship BS:  Along with a house, cats, and a Porsche, one of the things my ex and I used to fantasize about me being able to get her one day (when she was feeling ok anyway) was a boob job.  I know it wouldn't have been enough to keep us together, but if somehow I'd have been able to do that for her, it would have been a huge boost to her self esteem, and maybe we wouldn't have had so many silly arguments.

Really when it comes right down to it, these things only matter superficially.  Baring existing self esteem issues, if two people are into each other, stuff like this matters very little. 

Besides, you can always turn out the lights.

I believe the canonical reference work for issues of boobular verisimilitude is now Boobs Don't Work That Way.

Last edited by fcw (2011-08-29 13:04:02)

I am so proud of where this thread has gone.

pimp

For the record, I associate bolt-ons with self esteem issues. I know that works for some folk, but not me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FixedR6 wrote:

I am so proud of where this thread has gone.

Wait, isn't this the thread for A Few Boob Men?

I was thinking the other day that this film probably got a lot of folks interested in becoming lawyers way back when, hell I wanted to be a lawyer after watching this. A Few Good Men is definitely up there amongst the legal dramas.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If a woman feels as though she has to enhance her breasts for any reason, self-asteem or vanity, that is totally up to her. I personally do not like the way they sometimes look and prefer real ones but at the end of the day, it is what makes the woman happy that counts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love this thread, im excited to be a part of it : lol

Im impressed this thread managed to devolve in little over 5 posts, well done everyone.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbsQLeHpxwv9NcjzJfkpjyPDYV-V3gjQiuHyYGfFFGR0eGIiF6Ng

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

I was thinking the other day that this film probably got a lot of folks interested in becoming lawyers way back when, hell I wanted to be a lawyer after watching this. A Few Good Men is definitely up there amongst the legal dramas.

funny, i was just thinking how Top Gun made me want to be a fighter pilot...in fact, i spent the late 80s/early 90s wanting to be:

a fighter pilot
a pool player
a NASCAR driver
a bartender
a lawyer (times two)

fortunately, music and sports distracted me...otherwise i might have become a hit man or a samurai warrior

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Never thought about it, but that explains why I spent that time wanting to be:

a German criminal mastermind posing as the leader of a group of terrorists
a Chicago high school principal doggedly pursuing truant high school students
a liquid metal killer robot from the future
a Nazi general bent on retrieving the Holy Grail
the corrupt governor of Mars
a surfing bank-robber

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries