Topic: Halp. (The DIF 3.0 Video.)

Hey folks.

As has been mentioned, we're overhauling the front page to make the site more useful for everyone and more enticing to a first time visitor. The design we have is very spiffy, and will be much more functional than what we currently have, but we need your help with one bit.

A big part of the design of the page will simply be a video embed that plays a montage of really great DIF moments, synced up to their respective movies, as an example piece - so when you say to someone "you should listen to this podcast," they can go to www.downinfront.net and click play, and it'll make your argument for you.

What we need from you is moments from the show that you think would have gotten you hooked before you'd ever listened to it. Funny moments, insightful moments, cool BTS stories, that kind of thing. This would be a couple minutes longer than Ryan's DIF mashups, and less funny-funny-funny and more funny-interesting-insightful, so there's a bit of a range in the video that might attract everyone.

So what we need is stuff like "I really love the rant Dorkman goes on at 01:24:56 of This Movie." The episode and the timecode are important. (The timecode doesn't have to be super exact, but the massive job of going through 120+ two hour episodes to find moments is nearly impossible without some sense of where to look.)

http://ohiok.com/img/i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/ohiok/funnypictures/beach/halp.jpg

I think we're also going to do a thing where we make a deal out of the community at large, so when one scene comes up it'll say "Doctor Submarine's favorite moment," or something like that - in that case, naturally, your name goes in the video. So I guess that's a thing.

If one moment comes to mind, awesome and thank you - if you have four or five or thirty, even better.

Thanks guys. This is a much more complicated thing than I had anticipated, and hopefully it'll become easier if you show us where to look.

EDIT: We got organized! If you wanna help, check this out.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Halp. (The DIF 3.0 Video.)

One that stands out is Trey talking about sleeping in a water tank on The Abyss

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Stokes and Tokes. 'Nuff said.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I don't even remember which episode Stokes and Tokes was in, let alone when it was. Holden.

Set an example, man!

pimp

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One of the most hilarious moments for me was during Return of the Jedi, (2:08:00 - 2:09:09) when everyone is describing a pilot flying over the Grand Canyon without knowing what it is. It had me quite literally dying of laughter since I was recovering from my second lung surgery. Laughter of that magnitude was quite painful. After finding the timecode just now, it appears you were also in a fit of laughter, Teague, as you can be heard in the last 5-10 seconds catching your breath and repeating "this is your captain speaking... what the **** is that?" tongue

Perfect! That's exactly the kind of thing we need. Thanks man.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bugger, I've forgotten what it was about, but there was a hilarious riff that ended with Trey saying "Well, that was a thing. And now it's over. And now it's in the past."

Oh gods - the three C's of England. I'll find the ep / time code when I get home from work.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That one was in V for Vendetta, sometime toward the end, I think.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, there's my six pages of suggestions.... with time codes.....

At the moment, "Hitler McSodomy" is my go-to chuckle... Also "you MOM's wings are plasticky" And a lot of the stuff from Truman was nicely insightful.

The one about Kevin Dillon smoking the hell out of a cigarette in The Blob would be good with the visual of him.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I'll have to go back through the Archives. But there was a moment in the earlier podcasts when the conversation turned to Suicide for a good 5 minutes. How to succeed, what methods have been done, and then the gang realized where they had ventured and Dorkman turned to the viewer and begrudginigly calmed us all down by intoning "Don't Kill yourself, you have a lot to live for." All said with this huge "Sigh" that had me spitting up my Capri-Sun. It was a great. Now I have to find it. Anyone have an idea where it's at?

Last edited by frankasu03 (2011-08-22 23:57:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In raiders the "Box that melts nazi's" is my favorite.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Two in Chronicles of Riddick. First, Trey mentions that Ghost Dench can fly, but not travel to wherever Riddick is. Teague replies, "So she IS Space Ghost, but she is NOT Coast to Coast." Or the whole talk about the "party in the back" from the same episode.

Ooh, for some good insightful stuff that syncs up well to video, how about any moment in Surrogates where someone says "Why are there screens in this universe?!" or something similar.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2011-08-23 02:09:56)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

there's one about 1:43 into Jedi where Trey is talking about how you direct a guy in a Vader suit the same way you direct an animal that's rather amusing. Plus it'll show off that you guys actually make films yourself.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

These are great, pleeeeeeease keep 'em comin.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Screaming pile of shit.

I honestly can't remember what episode it's in right now, but it was amazing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Screaming pile of shit.

I honestly can't remember what episode it's in right now, but it was amazing.

Yes. Absolutely yes. Someone has to remember where that was.

It was CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, and unfortunately that conversation occurred during the intro, before we started the movie, so wouldn't work for the purposes of this video.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Which ep was Teague telling the story about "hanging a lighthouse"?
--------------------------
Trey does a pretty good intro to his work on STARSHIP TROOPERS: 00:02:50 - 00:03:22
--------------------------
Ok you guys, we need to go through this methodically. Should we start around 300 or further back? Basically you're getting homework, let's pick an ep each and go through for gems.

Last edited by Dave (2011-08-23 08:36:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When I first started listening, I started with movies I knew backwards and forwards. So, when you started commenting on the bottle in Fight Club - the one Tyler Durden throws, that flies forever and stays at the edge of frame - it brought my attention to something that had always confused me. Around 42:30, going until Brian rambles about nothing and you're all impressed.

Also! The rant in Galaxy Quest (near the 25-min mark) where Tim Allen says, "I need to be at a place in a quarter of an hour," and you guys say, "...Then... what are you doing here, man?"

(Oh, and just a personal great, from the same, but later -- Teague asks, "Brian, is this what Shatner and Takei are doing right now?" And Brian answers, "I hope so. But just those two.")

Anyway. I'll keep thinking.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

It was CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, and unfortunately that conversation occurred during the intro, before we started the movie, so wouldn't work for the purposes of this video.

Fake it.

It's not like someone's gonna watch the commentary and go "THIS ISN'T THE SAME VIDEO AS THE TRAILER OMG WTF RAGEQUIT"

The internet's stupid my friend, but at least give anyone who would be intrigued enough by the trailer to actually sit down and listen to an episode some credit, please.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-08-23 08:53:23)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

At the end of the Revenge of the Sith commentary, when Dorkman rants about Hayden Christensen crossing his arms. Classic

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, we can always sync funny bits from intros and outros to some random semi-related chunk of the film, it won't end the world very efficiently.

Thank you guys so much for all of these ideas, every new post in this thread makes my life easier.

And welcome to the forums, Marge.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

the surrogates joke from the beginning of the commentary.  Made me laugh for two minutes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Which joke?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down