Topic: Kill Bill Vol. 1

So, uh. We did this this weekend and couldn't do a live show because my broadcast laptop exploded.

We also did volume two.

Don't be mad.

sad_tennant

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Kill Bill Vol. 1

clap

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

holden

trwned

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait, wait. No one move, I can still pull this off. Uh...

dorkman

EDIT: What, no Teague?

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2011-08-29 20:41:14)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You mean...?

http://www.zarban.com/teague-start.jpg

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

And for good measure.....

http://www.zarban.com/brian-finifter-star-trek.jpg

I don't know

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llprp8zMO71qh4tqvo1_400.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So that's what the noise question was about...

Anyway, why wasn't Eddie on this commentary? He seems perfect for it.

Found it!  cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbKPDUPzzyM

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ewing wrote:

So that's what the noise question was about...

Anyway, why wasn't Eddie on this commentary? He seems perfect for it.

I am a smidge butt hurt that I wasnt on this one, but I am in Buffalo with my wife, son, and in laws, so not much I could do.  Besides, any alternate like myself serves at the leisure of our DiF overlords.  I am in no position to demand a commentary.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...but I will demand a custom DiF GiF from Zarban.  There's an awesome photo of me superman punching a piñata in half that Teague has.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I fucking love Quentin Tarantino. I even liked Death Proof. I think it's his weakest film, but I still liked it.

As for Kill Bill, I like both volumes pretty evenly. The second one is a lot more talky and slower, but what it lacks in energy and gore it more than makes up for with tension. There are three or four scenes in that movie that are spectacularly tense and unnerving. That more than anything is what I love about Tarantino's films. All of his flicks - even True Romance - has one or several of those intense scenes where it's just some people sitting and talking at a table, but he does it so well and keeps ramping up the tension that you're locked in a death-grip, unable to look away. No matter what movie he makes, I guarantee you one of the standout scenes in it is going to be a few people sitting at a table and talking. Most writers avoid that shit like the plague and try to keep their characters moving around and doing stuff during the talky bits, but Qt says "nope, they just sit down and have some coffee and stare into each other's souls".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, that's a pretty damn good monologue.

I love the fact that you guys obviously still enjoy doing this and record and release a show when you really didn't have to. That's why I love you guys  smile

I have a question- what happened to the Chamber of Secrets commentary? Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm unaware of the answer. Hence my asking the question. Obviously. Ummmmm.....ok, I'll be honest....I have no clue how to end this post.....ummmm.....oh look, kitty!

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/myspace-graphics/funny-pictures/cat-love.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

...but I will demand a custom DiF GiF from Zarban.  There's an awesome photo of me superman punching a piñata in half that Teague has.

I demand to see this picture.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

: startrek:
brian

: doty :
doty

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

doty

That's awesome!

Did some research, and guess who composed the film Twisted Nerve? None other than the master of suspenseful film scores, the man who did Psycho and Vertigo, Bernard Herrmann.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tarantino HUNGRY!!!

http://favim.com/orig/201106/24/bastardos-inglorios-funny-jmp-joy-kill-bill-quentin-tarantino-Favim.com-81877.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was kinda hoping you guys would continue the talk about Tarantino's little universe when you started talking about the cop, but since you didn't bring it up, I guess I will - though maybe you bring it up in volume two, when Sam Jackson is actually talking:

There's a theory that would have you believe that Tarantino's films all exist in the same universe. They are all interconnected in some way. You have to exclude Jackie Brown from this, as that was based on a book and not set in his universe.

Do you guys put any stock into this theory? I mean, we know at least that Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction have to exist in the same universe, since there's a Vega brother in each film. I think it's safe to also assume that Kill Bill and Death Proof exist in the same universe, as the cop and his son show up in both. He uses the same brand names in his movies. Personally, I like the idea a lot, so until he comes out and says it's not so, or he does something that would definitely prevent that theory from working I'm gonna just go along with the notion that this is all one big universe and he's just showing us all how fucking awesome the universe in his head is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We do mention that in volume two.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The idea of unrelated movies existing in the same fictional universe is a fun one. I remember as a kid my older cousin gave me the novelizations of both Alien and Outland (both written by Alan Dean Foster). To me it seemed like they were related somehow, what with the evil corporations and similar space tech, and I loved the idea of more movies set in this same universe. Never happened, naturally.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I think it's safe to also assume that Kill Bill and Death Proof exist in the same universe, as the cop and his son show up in both.

That actually makes these characters even more hilarious, because imagine the ludicrous shit they must be dealing with every day to be so calm whenever we see them in the aftermath of complete madness.

Squiggly_P wrote:

He uses the same brand names in his movies. Personally, I like the idea a lot, so until he comes out and says it's not so, or he does something that would definitely prevent that theory from working I'm gonna just go along with the notion that this is all one big universe and he's just showing us all how fucking awesome the universe in his head is.

I can get with this idea if the universe is openly a movie universe -- like if he makes movies in the hyper-archetyped Movie World of LAST ACTION HERO. That would explain the way his movies can seem to stumble from one genre into another, occasionally to the surprise of the characters (as we discuss in Vol. 2).

It's not unlike Stephen King's writing (who in turn was inspired by Lovecraft) which largely takes place in some fashion in connected universes, if not always the same one. Many of his early novels have references to each other in some way, several mid-career novels took place in the fictional town of Castle Rock and quite a few of his later ones are explicitly tied to the Dark Tower.

OH MY GOD TARANTINO SHOULD MAKE THE DARK TOWER

Invid wrote:

The idea of unrelated movies existing in the same fictional universe is a fun one.

As I learned from several people when Wil Wheaton retweeted a comment I made about BLADE RUNNER a couple weeks ago, the Kurt Russell movie SOLDIER apparently takes place in the same fictional universe as BR.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

OW FUCK THE NAME DROPPED ONTO MY FOOT

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down