Topic: TNG Blu-Ray

brian
(it's a link. click it)

Woo and Hoo! TNG is getting a blu-ray release next year and it sounds like they are recompositing the original model shots rather then doing a half hearted CG replacement!

The choice of episodes for the first release seemed a tad odd until the video explained they all won awards.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Re: TNG Blu-Ray

Embedded version:

Mostly fluffy B-roll, but holy moly that one spaceship shot. Very pretty.

Are the TOS new effects not well thought of? I thought they were pretty well liked, altho, from the comparisons I've seen, they didn't seem very necessary.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Hopefully they replaced the Wil Wheaton puppet with a CGI Wil Wheaton.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Hopefully they replaced the Wil Wheaton puppet with a CGI Wil Wheaton.

To be fair, Wil himself has issues with how young master Crusher was written and received.  Check out Memories of the Futurecast, a podcast Wil did a couple years ago reading excerpts from his book of nearly the same name, Memories of the Future.  Good stuff.

I am unashamedly hard for this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Are the TOS new effects not well thought of?

It's a very mixed bag. The colour grading and new matte paintings are fantastic but the CG ship stuff is hit and miss. When it's good it really is good but most the time it didnt meet the standard of Enterprise which had already been off the air for a few years.

I believe the plan was to have Gary Hutzel who had worked on TNG and DS9 and was currently doing BSG come in and supervise it but CBS had just bought the rights to Trek had decided they owned a CG house and that since the original show had about 4 flybys they could do it.

of course they didnt want to just recreat the original stock shots that got used over and over so they had much more work then they expected.

they bought a fan model of the Enterprise which had far too much detail and took far too long to render. Apparently you could zoom in to see screws on the bulkhead.

after the first batch of episodes (they did them out of order) they made a lower pologon version which gave them more useable shots

It would have been great if it was 1999 and you can't really hold up the original grainy model shots as being better but it just felt like it could have been better.

hope I explained that alright, its late and i'm tired

im just gonna throw this out there.
The only star trek I've ever seen is the newest one.
*runs to the hills*

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

*shrug*

Fair do  smile

Faldor is so correct I don't even know where to start.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

Woo and Hoo! TNG is getting a blu-ray release next year and it sounds like they are recompositing the original model shots rather then doing a half hearted CG replacement!

It's the fact they kept the original model footage that I find amazing. Makes you cry all the more that all the Babylon 5 CG data was erased, making any updating of its FX to match the HD live action footage too expensive (as well as screwing later TV movies over)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'm sad that we'll never get HD Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's kind of in the same boat as B5. They lowered the image res to TV levels before doing the special effects, so if they did do a Buffy Blu-ray, they would have to re-do every single special effects shot from scratch, and that's just not going to happen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MadBadCoyote wrote:

im just gonna throw this out there.
The only star trek I've ever seen is the newest one.
*runs to the hills*

Nothing wrong with that  smile

I think TNG and DS9 will do well with the HD update. I do not think it will date itself quite as much as with the originals.

Brief nerd moment-um, am I the only one who noticed that the impulse engines on the saucer section were not lit up?    wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Brief nerd moment-um, am I the only one who noticed that the impulse engines on the saucer section were not lit up?    wink

Why would you need to be powering the impulse engines? You're about to go to warp, just let the ship 'coast' until the warp engines kick in. Messing with acceleration is just going to make the calculations harder.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's because, as originally designed, the saucer impulse engines are only activated when the saucer is separated, which holds throughout TNG and the use of the practical model. It's not until the CGI model in DS9 that the saucer engines are consistently lit up.

Brian Finifter wrote:

It's because, as originally designed, the saucer impulse engines are only activated when the saucer is separated, which holds throughout TNG and the use of the practical model. It's not until the CGI model in DS9 that the saucer engines are consistently lit up.

Or we could just be a MASSIVE nerd about it.

That works too.

clap

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Or we could just be a MASSIVE nerd about it.

There's another kind?

Better nerd than wrong.

Yeah, this shit is too important to be lax about.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, when it comes to Star Trek, you won't catch me laxing about. Lollygagging, maybe.

Which, come to think of it, better not be a euphemism.

Star Trek is the thing with Ewoks, right?

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

You're thinking of Buck Rogers.  Star Trek is the JJ Abrams movie based on a 50's tv show.

All this time I've assumed it was a thing based on Biggles, but in space.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:
Eddie wrote:

You're thinking of Buck Rogers.  Star Trek is the JJ Abrams movie based on a 50's tv show.

No, JJ Abrams made The Man from UNCLE: III. Star Trek has Dr Smif, and Robbie the Sonic Screwdriver.