Re: The New Introduction Thread

I will always check out anything by Jedi Pastor. You're a welcome addition sir,

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm Liam, if you didn't get that from my Da Vinci Code-esque username. What I do and what I think I do are two completely different things - I would like to say I'm a filmmaker, but I'm a poor student struggling to find entry-level film jobs. I found DIF when 'Owen Ward' (Another member) said "Listen to DIF" - I did. My worst injury happened when I was about 10/11 and I had just put in my 'Master with Cracked Fingers' DVD, "Damn" the batteries in my remote had died, and there wasn't any chance of pressing play on DVD player (the function didn't work) so, as clever as I was I remembered back to a remedy a friend told me in the playground at school "If you bite batteries, they recharge a little" - Yes, I did it - and yes it bit in two. With the Acid making its way towards my stomach, the hospital rammed some giant pipe into my stomach and gave me treatment equal to that of a chest burster. I'm a vegetarian, so I like my pizza meat-less - other than that, it doesn't really matter, I do like stuffed crust though. I don't have a sister, but I once convinced an array of friend that 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' was my step-sister.

A sense of the person behind the name, Liam - Well.. I was once convinced for more than 6 years that I had a picture with Dr. Emmet Brown, when I finally looked at the picture - he couldn't have looked any different from Christopher Lloyd.

Wow. The battery thing is rough.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So after a few months of prodding by Doctor Submarine, and a particular comment made by Teague that was brought to my attention by the aforementioned, I finally caved and joined the community.

Growing up I've always known I wanted to do something in the arts, whether it was actual painting or magic or acting. But it didn't take long before I caught the filmmaking bug, and I've been sick ever since.

My worst injury would have to be getting my finger stuck between a rusty, old bike chain and one of the spokes. I can thank my brother for that one.

As for my name, Professor Plum, it arose from a few reasons. One, he's my favorite character from Clue, the other being that I wanted to become another false scholar like my friend the doctor.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WELCOME SIR PLEASE ACCEPT OUR APOLOGIES FOR YOUR BROTHER'S HARMFUL ACTIONS

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Liam Swann wrote:

My worst injury happened when I was about 10/11 and I had just put in my 'Master with Cracked Fingers' DVD, "Damn" the batteries in my remote had died, and there wasn't any chance of pressing play on DVD player (the function didn't work) so, as clever as I was I remembered back to a remedy a friend told me in the playground at school "If you bite batteries, they recharge a little" - Yes, I did it - and yes it bit in two. With the Acid making its way towards my stomach, the hospital rammed some giant pipe into my stomach and gave me treatment equal to that of a chest burster.

But aside from that, did you enjoy the movie?

Professor Plum wrote:

As for my name, Professor Plum....

I always supported your innocence thruout the trial. Also, just between us, Mr. Boddy had it coming....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

Also, just between us, Mr. Boddy had it coming....

Regional differences frequently astound me, as does the late Mr. Black's renaming.

I trust you discreetly disposed of the bloodied spanner from the Billiard Room.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm Clare, a book blogger, college student, aspiring book editor… essentially, I'm a big old book nerd who plans on becoming a librarian if the whole "breaking into the publishing industry" thing doesn't work out. (If you're interested in my bookish ramblings, you can find my blog here! Say hey, I'm pretty good about responding to comments.) I am, shockingly enough, not a cat person.

I found DIF last year, I think; I stumbled across it (something something RiffTrax? Something something RiffTrax comparison, I think), bookmarked it, and then didn't think about it until last month, when I started listening to it, and now it's pretty much playing on my iPod constantly.

I actually don't remember my worst injury; as a really little kid, this huge neighborhood dog bit me in the face. My brother says I was annoying the dog, my mom swears it was unprovoked. I believe my brother more, because I was a really annoying kid. I ended up with a small facial scar that looks like I somehow have a single solitary dimple. Considering the dog could have gone for my eyes, I think I lucked out. Amazingly, I'm not scared of dogs.

Pizza? I'd say margherita generally, but we have this chain called Mellow Mushroom down South that's amazing, and the one closest to me has this mushroom, garlic, and aioli miracle that I dream about.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooh, a blog! I like blogs. Consider yourself followed.   big_smile

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good morning Clare, welcome to the forum.

I remember when I had time to read, now the best I can manage is an occasional audiobook in the car. Don't judge me.

Unfortunatley you appear slightly delusional; the best pizza is clearly vegetarian with spinach, Greek fetta, Kalamata olives, and possibly fresh bird's eye chillie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hello there. I'm Allison and I'm a student studying theatre and gender studies. I work a horrible job in retail but I like to think of myself as a sort of actress who is in a bit of a dry spell.  That's how I get through days of folding brightly colored hoodies and glittered graphic tees.

I found DIF during one of my long trips through TVTropes, and I really liked what I heard.   

That's all I have, folks. I was racking my brain for some sort of amusing anecdote, but none of them really live up to the high standards that those who came before me have demonstrated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Welcome to the forums! Glad our TVTropes period paid off. :-P

There's no rules, but if you're a jerk I'll bust your nuts. Feel free to reply to random topics, bump really old conversations, whatevs. The chatroom in the forum index is free for all purposes, and at any time of the day you can usually find someone in there for chit chat ...or figuring out songs, as the case may be.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Allison wrote:

Hello there. I'm Allison

Welcome! Enjoy the nerdery! Our finest plumage is on display at this time of year!

*Zarban is not indicative of content

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Man, if we didn't have the rotating "cool projects" banners, I'd make that the banner constantly.

"The guy with the incredibly thought out joke posts is not the bar we are trying to clear. Appreciate him as a singularity, and please try not to let it change your expectations."

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Indeed, Zarban's our official outlier. He brings our GPA up.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/2/3/ohstopumade128465155589697500.jpg

Hey there, I'm Sam. I wouldn't call myself a film scholar. I'm just a computer science major who really likes movies. I've taken a couple film classes in school just for kicks, and I have a little experience in video work, but not too much. It's a hobby.

Worst injury... well  I've always loved sports, and I've also stayed pretty major-injury-free. I guess my worst injury happened during a pickup football game a few years back. I was running toward the guy with the ball and apparently someone pushed me from behind and we knocked heads. I don't remember it though. I just remember running, then looking up at the people hovering over me. Concussion, 5 stitches. It never really hurt much though. I went straight from shock to pain meds haha.

I'm not a big pizza guy, but I prefer meat lovers.

And sorry, I don't have a sister  wink

TheOneRing.net posted something about the LotR commentaries a few months ago, and that's how I found DIF.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Welcome Sam smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3pointedit is the name 3 point editing is the game, unless a fit fill is required then 4 points are necessary but I prefer avoiding digital trickery and go with the story cut where possible.

Another thing I like alot has been DIF, when all other podcasts have shrunk to a mere shadow, Down In Front commenataries power on for hours at a time. I can spend whole commute days with one inteligent team, instead of a rambling montage of dissasociated skeptical and humorous podcasts. Truly DIF is a power house of a podcast that knows no equal, illuminating Hollywood's darkest secrets. Walking into the steaming, dangerous alleyways of film making so that we don't have to.

Thank you DIF avengers, thank you.

Enough of platitudes.

I have been absorbing podcasts for almost a decade on my way to work as a TV editor, desperately trying to find that story telling edge (or get juicy Star Wars dirt), and make myself look smart in front of my colleagues. It started out with ripping DVD's directors commentaries. Then I was listening to Filmspotting but couldn't take it any longer, I had to have something harder. I found some Geekza, but it was wrapped. Bummer. I needed something that would make the cravings go away.

I went back to 3D animation and VFX, the stuff I couldn't afford to do when I was a kid. Model bashing is great but shooting it is costly. Along came affordable PCs, even more affordable memory and a way to get it out to screen. I went all home brew with Blender 3D. And thought how hard is movie making really? Then I went back to podcasts and found DIF.

What a revelation, really. I have never listened in sync with a DVD but the story deconstruction rarely requires it, and the insight is fantastic. It all seems so obvious but the question that hangs over most episodes, is this. How on Earth do studios still fuck it up?! I mean don't they want to make more money?

Why not give Trey $30mil, just enough to keep him hungry and not waste it above the line. I would go see that a bunch of times.

P.S. I have Trey withdrawals when he doesn't show. Can't we have some canned "Trey wit" for those occasions?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3pointedit wrote:

Then I was listening to Filmspotting but couldn't take it any longer

heh, heh, heh.... take that, Kempenaar

Welcome 3pointedit

3pointedit wrote:

Then I was listening to Filmspotting but couldn't take it any longer.

I gave up on Filmspotting when one of them... (I think Kempenaar) broke down crying because of the profoundness of Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

I have done the same things with commentaries (and audio tracks from movies for that matter), ripped them into mp3's and listened to them at work, out & about and in the gym.

Last edited by AshDigital (2012-07-21 17:13:38)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

3pointedit wrote:

Why not give Trey $30mil, just enough to keep him hungry and not waste it above the line. I would go see that a bunch of times.

I say the same thing all the time.

Hi everybody! My name is chris. Stumbled onto DIF about a year ago and have kept up with the episodes ever since. I live in Kansas, so there's not alot to do except watch movies and drink. I'm 28, I've got an assload of flicks and I play in a punk rock band. That's pretty much all. Damn, I'm boring. I need a beer! But anywho, great show and great to be a part of the forum.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down