Topic: how to break into IMDb

A pretty well-along project I'm working on has been trying to get a film listing on IMDb.com for months now.  For some reason they keep asking for more info, and then rejecting the request anyway.  Latest was a firm, verifiable release date.

I've seen many projects get up there that have no where near as much actual filmed material as we've got, so what are they doing that we're not? Do you have to have a 'pro' account? Is there a casting couch somewhere?

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: how to break into IMDb

Usually they say it has to have a trailer and have been in a film festival. Not sure what the reality is, I've never added a project to IMDb, just credits.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In the end, they decide based on whatever they decide.   But their general rule says:

"For a work to be eligible for inclusion in the database it must be of general public interest and should be available to the public or have been available in the past. "

"General public interest" can mean that the project involves a name or company that verifiably exists and has a track record.  So yes, there's a certain level of favoritism, only because if Paramount says they're shooting a movie, IMDB has good reason to believe it, even before it comes out.    Or if there are any reputable third-party sources that can show why the project-to-be is of interest - a magazine article or something at the very least. 

Without something like the above, there's no reason for IMDB to believe the project exists at all until it's assembled and viewable by an audience.    Once you can prove THAT happened, then a listing will be much more likely to be approved.

But you can see why IMDB works this way - the number of vapor-ware project submissions they receive, that then never really amount to anything, must be staggering.

The IMDB Eligibility FAQ

That's a helpful way to think about it.  We may have to pay the pro piper and submit the thing as 'in develoment' and see how that goes.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Flat Footed Apocalypse got an IMDB page from submitting to a short film festival which didnt have an entry fee on withoutabox.

You dont need to be accepted, but it is notoriously difficult to update your page once it is up.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog