Re: Intermission 010 - Making things on the TV box.

Trey wrote:

... even though right now you still need the brand name of a show like AD, or a big star name, like Netflix's other experiment, with an original Kevin Spacey series  - to get a web outlet to risk spending real money... it IS starting to happen.

But on the other hand, sometimes that still isn't enough...

Prospect Park drops plan to bring daytime soaps online

I just realized something that should have dawned on me sooner. If Nielsen ratings only really matter to network television, why do we care? Think about it. All of the shows people talk about and point to as being the best or their favorite are on HBO, AMC or another channel that isn't one of the big four. Who gives a shit if Nielsen works or not if the only people using it are producing watered down formulaic crap to begin with?

Nielsen covers cable as well, including premium cable like HBO and Showtime.

The difference is that cable audiences are smaller than network audiences.  Low ratings will still get a cable show canceled, but cable shows don't need as HIGH a rating as a network show to be successful.

Last week Terra Nova got about six million viewers on Fox, which means it's in trouble.  Last week the Walking Dead got about six million viewers on AMC, which means it's the biggest hit they've ever had*.    When Playboy Club fell to 3 million viewers on ABC, it was canceled.  When Game of Thrones got 2 million viewers on its debut episode on HBO, they greenlit a second season immediately.  The ratings work the same way, it's the expectations that are different, is all.   

It still adds up to what you said - if you want to make a show for a more niche audience, work in cable.  You'll have less money to play with, but a better chance at staying on the air.

*Walking Dead has been pretty consistently getting that six million viewers with every episode - which more than once has made it the top-rated Sunday show in all of cable.  Only occasional high-profile sports events on ESPN have been able to beat it.

Last edited by Trey (2011-11-24 12:15:17)

Trey wrote:

It still adds up to what you said - if you want to make a show for a more niche audience, work in cable.  You'll have less money to play with, but a better chance at staying on the air.

This is what doesn't make much sense to me. Is Terra Nova really that much more expensive to produce than Game of Thrones? Is Playboy Club more expensive than Walking Dead?

And if so, why don't the networks just slash budgets across the board, since it's obviously a simple thing to produce quality shows on a budget only supported by a couple million people.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:
Trey wrote:

This is what doesn't make much sense to me. Is Terra Nova really that much more expensive to produce than Game of Thrones? Is Playboy Club more expensive than Walking Dead?

And if so, why don't the networks just slash budgets across the board, since it's obviously a simple thing to produce quality shows on a budget only supported by a couple million people.

the budget isn't as important to the networks as the ratings.  remember, the neilsen ratings determine how much advertisers have to pay to air their spots during breaks.  The advertisers want as many people as possible to see their ads so they will pay up the nose to put their ad in a show that has say 12 million viewers.  Tera nova is in trouble becuase not enough people are watching it.  And in turn not enough people will be watching that budweiser ad that plays during the third break.  Shows get cancelled because the network can't charge the advertisers as much money for that tv real estate. 

I'm sure the shows budget factors in there somewhere...  Movies tend to make a bigger deal about budget than tv maybe?  I know that makes no sense, but hardly anything does in tv land.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And on the other side of the Community renewal question, we turn to the AV Club, which presents five (objective, intelligent) arguments for why the show has a good chance of returning next season.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ratings- … e-s,65685/

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After looking into things further, I'm going to partially correct my pervious statement.  Budgets are important to the networks, at least to a degree.  It appears that the networks use a shows budget as a way of determining whether or not a show stays on the air in relation to the amount of revenue the network makes off of advertisers during said shows airtime (well, duh, that's sorta a no-brainer; [switch you idiot!]).  That's a mouthful, and not very clear.  allow me to illustrate:  Let's use terra nova as our example since it seems to be the most talked about show on this sight in terms of it being "the worst junk on tv". 

According to wikipedia, Terra Nova has an average budget of around 4 million per episode*.  That would mean that the network would need to make at least 4 million from advertisers during the shows 1 hour time slot.  That's around 4 breaks during the 1 hour slot yes?  say four spots per break and that's roughly $250,000 per spot.  I'd want more than six million people seeing my spot if I have to shell out 250 grand to fox to show the spot during Terra Nova!

*= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_(TV_series)

Last edited by switch (2011-11-26 04:42:49)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree more with Switch 1.0. Reality shows, like game shows and sticoms before them, are very cheap, but they still need to pull in network-level numbers to allow networks to charge what they charge for ads.

But when you get a huge hit like Frasier and your show goes from cheap (2 standing sets, 3 cameras, 5 regular actors) to expensive (paying Kelsey Grammer something like $1.6 mil an episode), you can—and must—charge even more.

But it doesn't matter if the show costs a buck-0-9 (Family Feud). It still needs competitive ratings for its slot (daytime being way less than prime time, etc.).

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

For the record, Terra Nova is MUCH more expensive than GoT.  thrones is a lesser known cast, with less vfx, and less expensive producers.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

For the record, Terra Nova is MUCH more expensive than GoT.  thrones is a lesser known cast, with less vfx, and less expensive producers.

I guess my point is: couldn't TN be made on a GoT budget?

And surely Stephen Lang can't cost that much more than Sean Bean.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steven Spielberg and Brannon Braga's producers fees dwarf that of Benioff's.  Also, the vfx budget on Terra Nova is huge.  Benioff has even said prior to going into produuction on season 2 of GoT that he had no idea how they were going to afford their VFX needs on their budget.  Theonly criticisms that GRRM has had of the series is that the budget doesnt allow certain scenes to be realized a certqin way.  He uses the Boar hunt in episode 6 as an example.  In the book, the boar hunt is 100 men on hoarseback with tents set up.   In the show, it's King Robert holding a spear while walking through the forest with 3 other people.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

In the show, it's King Robert holding a spear while walking through the forest with 3 other people.

…which sounds like pretty much every scene from Terra Nova that doesn't take place in the colony, and there's only a couple of those per episode.

People seem to be dancing around my main premise: if quality TV can be made on lower budgets, why aren't the networks doing it? Why are they continuing to throw massive amounts of cash at shows that don't grab enough eyeballs to make it worth it and end up canceling them after a season?

Films I understand. You're trying to convince someone to leave their house, go to a theater, and spend hard-earned cash on a ticket. You want to put as much money on-screen as physically possible. And in most cases, it pays off. But I don't see that sort of connection on TV. The most expensive shows are not typically the 'best' or even the most popular ones—especially when you take star salary out of the equation. How much did Seinfeld actually cost to shoot? Would everyone have done the show for half the salary if the budgets weren't there?

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think TV budgets have the same underlying issue that movies do. You CAN make something good on a low budget, but the guys who do that immediately command MUCH higher fees. And it doesn't make sense to saddle a top creative type with a budget barely bigger than his fee.

It's a surprise that HBO and AMC and such are able to do even whey they do accomplish.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

*cracks knuckles*  Okay, let's do this.  Feel free to tl:dr.

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Is Terra Nova really that much more expensive to produce than Game of Thrones? Is Playboy Club more expensive than Walking Dead?

All reasonable questions.  As usual, the answers are complicated.   Get comfortable.

I'll tackle the second part first... 

TV shows produced on moderate budgets and which draw moderate audiences represent the vast majority of what's on network television already.  Only ten shows can be in the Top Ten... most shows are somewhere in the middle of the herd, not getting massive ratings but not costing too much, either.       

The example I like to use is "According To Jim".  To this day, I don't know what that show was actually about, other than Jim Belushi was the star.  In its highest-rated year it was at 44th place in the year-end average ratings.  Its lowest-rated year, it was at 146th place.  It was nominated for exactly four Emmys during its entire run, all for Cinematography for a Half-Hour Comedy.  It never won.

According to Jim was on ABC for EIGHT YEARS.

Most network shows are According to Jim.   

They just plod along, not hurtin' nobody, not costing too much and thus making enough money for the network to keep them on.  The one-hour equivalent of According to Jim are the CSI's and Law and Orders and all the other shows that are pretty much just like them.  They grind those things out the way a factory makes bricks.   

And when you think about it,  most of those shows are exactly the same in terms of what is required to make them:  Some moderately-priced actors walk into a room, have a conversation, walk out again. Repeat.   Sometimes there's a car crash or a fist fight or a visual effect to keep things interesting, and that's about it.   

You can pretty much budget a show like that without even knowing what the show IS.  As long as there are no dinosaurs, no spaceships, and no Charlie Sheen, a one-hour show should cost somewhere between 2 to 3 million per episode.

Of course, when a network really wants to pinch pennies, they make reality shows.  Even a casual observer can see that an hour of Supernanny costs even less than an hour of Law and Order.  And once in a while, one of THOSE will take off in the ratings, and the network is especially happy then.

Anyway, the break-even point for a show with a 2-3 million per episode budget is (very roughly, because there are a LOT of factors at work here) somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 in the ratings.  With a 2 million budget and a 3.0 in the ratings, the show's no "hit" but it's fine.   It'll probably be back next season, according to Jim.

And some of them are even genre shows, there's no bias against those.  Ghost Whisperer and Medium had decent runs.  Smallville did fine on the WB.  And Supernatural's in its sixth season.   

So Supernanny and Medium and According to Jim are what keep the lights on at a network, but of course they want hits, too.  So they take chances on stuff, in hopes that something will become the next Big Thing. 

Gregory Harbin wrote:

People seem to be dancing around my main premise: if quality TV can be made on lower budgets, why aren't the networks doing it? Why are they continuing to throw massive amounts of cash at shows that don't grab enough eyeballs to make it worth it and end up canceling them after a season?

The problem is that "quality" is a slippery term.  To a network, just as with a film studio, "quality" is generally defined by things that can be bought.  Big names or lots of effects or epic locations will make a show stand out against all the CSI's and According to Jim's.  Mostly because these are things that can be advertised.   As opposed to: "Tuesday on NBC, the premiere of Slappy and the Teakettle!  You won't believe your eyes when you see how well-written it is!"

So they make Grimm and West Wing and Pan Am and Studio 60 and Lost and Terra Nova and Firefly (all of which are risky premises, when you think about it), and they let them be pricier than average, in hopes they'll be more successful than average, too.   Sometimes that pays off.  More often, it doesn't.  But just as with features, it pays off enough that it's worth doing.  West Wing and Lost offset the losses of the bombs, just as the Harry Potter movies have paid for a dozen Sucker Punches with a billion bucks left over.

Sometimes  NONE of a network's high-rollers pay off.  When that happens, everybody at the network has a bad year except the guy who paints the names on parking spaces (he'll be putting in some overtime).   Meanwhile somebody next door makes Glee for a normal 3 mil per episode (and it's mostly the music licensing that puts Glee on the higher side, budget wise) and that's the one that goes ballistic.  This makes TV executives just as crazy as it makes the rest of us.

Terra Nova's per episode budget is 4 million, and last week it posted a series-low rating of 2.1.  Not only was Terra Nova designed to bring in more dough than average, it's turned out that advertisers want to pay LESS than average for Terra Nova airtime... because at 2.1 (which is about 6 million viewers) not as many people will be seeing their commercials.   So the network has a problem.

Or rather, the show does - because although we tend to say that networks make tv shows, they almost never do.   Mostly they LICENSE tv shows.   

This is even true for shows  made by companies that are part of the same conglomerate as the network.  ABC the network and ABC Studios the production company are both part of the Disney organization, but they're separate divisions with their own bottom lines to look out for. 

For example, ABC Studios makes Castle and licenses it to the ABC network.  But ABC Studios also makes Criminal Minds and licenses it to CBS.  (Ever seen Criminal Minds?  Me either.  It's currently in its eighth season.)  In either case, both sides need to make a deal that makes sense for their business.   

So ABC the network cares if ABC the studio sells a billion copies of Castle on DVD just about as much as they care if Disneyworld sells out on July 4th, or if Pirates of the Carribbean does well at the box office.  It doesn't matter to one division if the folks on another floor get a big Christmas bonus. (Fun fact:  sometimes different divisions of entertainment conglomerates hate each other.)

And when  a show costs 3 million per episode to make, that may or may not be what it's costing a network to get the USE of it.  They might be getting it for less, if the ratings are so-so but the owners are hoping to eke out another season for syndication and DVD sales... or they might have to pay more, if the show's a hit and the producers know it.  But it's still worth it, because a hit show can charge more per minute for advertising.

Which brings us back to the first question...

Is Terra Nova really that much more expensive to produce than Game of Thrones? Is Playboy Club more expensive than Walking Dead?

And then it gets weird, because the answers to those specific questions are No, and Not Really.

Per episode costs (estimated)
Terra Nova - 4 million
Game of Thrones - 5-6 million

Playboy Club - 3 million
Walking Dead - 3.4 million Season one. 
Cut to 2.7 million in season two (which led to Darabont's firing when he protested this.)

I know - WTF, right? 

Network and cable business models are different, and those particular shows have different origins as well.   So when you try to compare them directly it doesn't make sense at all.

First - basic cable, like AMC.  Basic cable is all those channels that are bundled together in your cable bill, most of which you don't watch and hate paying for.  Each channel in the bundle gets a share of those cable fees, and for some that's pretty much their entire budget.   Which is why the cable industry won't let you choose your channels a la carte - if you did, a lot of those niche channels would immediately die out.  It's also why a lot of niche channels have stopped being niche - they need to find a larger audience to survive.

When AMC started, it was a zero-budget affair that ran old movies with no commercials.  But that wasn't enough to survive on, so it added commercials, and started running more recent movies, and then started experimenting with original programming.  Cable shows simply can't get the audiences that network does - so their budgets are generally lower.  Two million per episode is a very high budget for a one-hour cable show. 

(As for reality shows on basic cable... Eddie, ya wanna talk about how low the budgets are there?  I don't know how it's possible to do ANYTHING at those prices.)

AMC's first original show - Mad Men - started at around 2 million per episode.  It became a hit (well, more of a critical hit than in actual viewer numbers, but it was the first-ever basic cable series to win the Emmy for Best Drama).  So, as with all successful shows, the budget crept up every season, and it's now at about 3 million per.  AMC licenses MM from Lionsgate, and this season they had a very lengthy dispute over the budget.  It was resolved, but as result the new season of Mad Men was delayed until 2012.

Their second show was Breaking Bad, which AMC licenses from Sony.  Same story there: started reasonable, became popular (Brian Cranston won Best Actor the same year Mad Men won for Drama), went up in price, big budget dispute this season.   Sony was shopping Breaking Bad to other networks for a while.  But then they too made a deal.

What with their first two attempts at original series turning out to be history-making successful, AMC's third show, Walking Dead, started at 3.4 million per episode in its first season.  That's high even for a network, it's astoundingly high for AMC.  That first season was a huge risk (but it was only six episodes, so they were hedging their bets).   

But on the other hand - AMC owns Walking Dead. They're not licensing episodes from a third party owner, they ARE the owner.  (Other than whatever split they owe to the comic creators, of course.)  So iTunes, Netflix, DVD sales, overseas syndication... all that comes right back to AMC.  This gives them more wiggle room when it comes to the on-air profit ratio. 

Overseas sales I suspect are especially important here.  I doubt Mad Men or Breaking Bad have much appeal overseas - and why should AMC care anyway, since they won't see that money.  But genre stuff sells everywhere.  Just ask the Asylum.

But even as big a hit as Walking Dead was, and even with that long-tail back end potential, AMC still couldn't make 3.4 mil per episode work for a full season. (It's generally assumed that Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are paying the price for the Mad Men deal.)  So they cut Walking Dead to about 2.7 mil in the second season, and thus adios Darabont. 

So AMC has three one-hour series, all with budgets that wouldn't raise an eyebrow at a broadcast network.  That's the equivalent of an average NIGHT for a network, but at AMC that's their entire slate.  And they're having to juggle the budgets because that's all the money they have to play with.   Welcome to basic cable.

And then there was HBO.  A premium service with an estimated 40 million subscribers.   CBS would kill kittens to get 40 million people just to watch their network, meanwhile HBO has 40 million people writing them a check directly every month. 

Of course, a lot of that goes to licensing the movies that HBO airs, and which is still their core business.  But HBO also got into the original series game quite a while ago, and if anyone has a consistent track record of "quality", well... it's not TV, it's HBO. 

They do spectacle too, but for whatever reason (it may just be that HBO execs have better taste) their spectacles are also just freakin' GOOD.  From the Earth to the Moon, Band of Brothers, Rome, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, and now Thrones are my personal faves, but they've got plenty of others that other people love too.

And once the Emmys changed their rules to allow cable networks to compete, HBO instantly became the nine-hundred-pound gorilla.  And that matters, too, even if it's just bragging rights.  Game of Thrones was clearly Emmy-bait, and it worked as usual.

Another wrinkle, HBO doesn't have to stick to a schedule the way networks do.  Game of Thrones in its first airing got 2 million views... but it aired twice more soon after, and the TOTAL views came to 4.2 million.  4.2 million would be low for a network, but for HBO that's a dandy number - that's 10 percent of their total possible pool of viewers.   There are about 120 million households with regular TV in America, 10 percent of that is 12 million - and a show with 12 million viewers is an unqualified smash hit on network TV.

And finally (and probably most importantly), HBO mostly owns their shows.  All those DVD's and streams and overseas sales... ka-ching!  This year HBO's overseas profits alone are projected to pass one billion dollars.

So to sum up (again, these are highly approximate,  based on what info is available):

Game of Thrones on HBO:

• 6 million per episode x 10.  60 million for season one

• Subscriber supported, high-rated in its market

• Good buzz.    The ratings went up as the season progressed.

• Good DVD potential and good overseas potential, which are valuable because it's owned in-house.  (According to the Hollywood Reporter, GoT episodes were pre-sold for 2.5 mil apiece overseas, so they were halfway to profitability on season One before it even aired.)

• A bucket of Emmy nominations (13), with some wins (2).

Terra Nova on Fox TV: 

• 4 million per episode x 13.  52 million for Season one.  (Throw in the rumored 10 million in development costs before they shot a single frame, and they're almost matching GoT's budget)

• Ad-supported, and low-rated in its market

• Not-so-good buzz.   The ratings have gone down as the season progressed.

• Good DVD potential and doing well overseas (I assume),  which isn't as valuable because Fox co-owns the show with at least four other companies. 

• We won't know its Emmy potential until next year... but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

And so - a second season of Game of Thrones is a no-brainer.  A second season of Terra Nova... hmm.  Risky.  We'll see.

The Aristocrats!

Trey wrote:

AMC's first original show - Mad Men - started at around 2 million per episode.  It became a hit (well, more of a critical hit than in actual viewer numbers, but it was the first-ever basic cable series to win the Emmy for Best Drama).  So, as with all successful shows, the budget crept up every season, and it's now at about 3 million per.

That actually was one of the factors that went into JMS's "5 year arc" for Babylon 5. He saw that year six was when successful shows saw huge increases in cast salaries, so the trick was to end a show before then but have it go long enough for the studio to be in the "free money" zone with regard to syndication. Don't know what the optimal length of a show would be now.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yup, I want to work for HBO.

Invid wrote:

Don't know what the optimal length of a show would be now.

It's still five years.   When I was asked to write a show bible for a network pitch recently, five years was what they asked for.

If a show lumps along for five years, doing okay enough to stay on the air, everybody's generally happy with the result.  For five years the network has at least one hour a week that it doesn't have to worry about, and forever after the show owners have dvd's and streams and syndication to sell.

Of course if the show is a hit, everybody involved wants it to run forever.  We should all have such problems.

And a round of applause for Trey. That was amazing.

clap

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, Trey, thank you. Thank you.

For the record, THIS is why I bug Trey until he writes quality posts.

So…based on that…I wouldn't expect to ever see a quality show out of network TV again. The Sorkins and the Whedons and the Darabonts and the Spielbergs should all be looking to basic or paid cable in order to have any shot of telling a good story, regardless of budget.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well then you're welcome.  smile

Everybody takes gigs where they can find them, but all those guys either have already done HBO projects, or would probably love to.  Spielberg did Band of Brothers and The Pacific with HBO, along with Tom Hanks - who also did Earth to the Moon there, and the John Adams miniseries, and is now working on American Gods.  Scorcese produces Boardwalk Empire and directed the two-hour pilot. (It's not shocking that the Boardwalk pilot is so good, when you realize it's actually a goddam Martin Scorcese movie.)  Sorkin's next project is an HBO series.  And Fincher's got at least one project on the drawing board there, last I heard.

With virtually no restrictions on content, amazing-for-tv budgets, and a general reputation for doing great work, HBO's definitely a place where talented people want to bring their projects.   I imagine HBO's biggest problem is picking which projects to do.

EDIT: To be fair, Showtime (also a premium-cable channel) has a history of ground-breaking shows that's as long as HBO's - it's just that I've never been a Showtime subscriber.    Showtime seems to lean more toward edgy comedy-drama - they've got Dexter, Weeds, Californication, Nurse Jackie, The Tudors, Queer as Folk, The L Word, The Big C, United States of Tara... all supposed to be good, I just haven't had a chance to see any (other than some bootlegs of Penn & Teller's Bullshit!).

Last edited by Trey (2011-11-28 07:30:28)

There was a little demonstration of the politics of cancellation today, for those that are interested...

Cancellation comes in two flavors:  There's instant, drop-dead cancellation, when a show is pulled off the schedule before the existing episodes even air.  Sometimes they'll still finish the ordered episodes (Firefly), in extreme cases they'll stop production immediately (Playboy Club).

Then there's the kind of cancellation where the show stays on the air until all the episodes have aired (networks gotta run SOMETHING in every timeslot, after all).  But on the inside, everybody knows the show is a goner.   

PanAm's been on the bubble since it premiered, and it's been waiting all this time to see if it gets the "back nine" order.  Then this morning Karine Vanasse, one of the stars of the show, tweeted:

Well, we received THE call, #PanAm is only coming back for one more episode after Christmas. But up to the end, we'll give it our all !

She's Canadian, so she even re-tweeted it in French...

C'est confirme, un seul episode de plus en janvier pour #PanAm. J'espere que vous serez la jusqu'a la fin!

So there it was: instead of a "back nine", PanAm got a "back one" order, for a total of fourteen episodes.  #PanAm immediately started trending on Twitter - it's official, PanAm's cancelled!   

Which it is. 

Except it's the second kind of cancelled, because it's still on the schedule and has episodes left to air.  Which means ABC still has adspace to sell.  Which means that they do not want to SAY that the show is cancelled - god forbid the show's existing audience gives up and the ratings get even worse.

So seemingly within minutes, ABC put the word out that PanAm is so totally not cancelled.  Why, that's crazy talk.  Who said it was?  No WAY.

And I kinda suspect Karine (or her agent) got a call about how to spin things on Twitter.  Maybe something more like:

Great news, everybody!  ABC just ordered AN EXTRA EPISODE.  #HappyDance

Meanwhile, Jason O'Mara is still dutifully beating the Twitter drum every week, exhorting his followers to watch Terra Nova.  But I wonder - has Terra Nova still not gotten "THE call" yet... or is Jason just savvier than Karine?

I know tv stations would never do this: but if they would guarantee each of their shows, when cancelled, would get a final ep to round of the series, maybe people would be so keen to jump ship immediately upon hearing mutterings of cancellation.

btw: does your list of cancellation types include the one where the makers finish of the season (sometimes leaving us on an end of season cliffhanger), only to find out later that the show won't be returning (no mention of cancellation having been mentioned beforehand).

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re-listening to the episode today, something dawned on me.  What can we as viewers do to ensure our "view" is counted?  For example, I don't have cable, or a Nielsen box.  We have rabbit ears, and even then, it's rare that I watch anything on an actual t.v..

I'm assuming Hulu is my best option; could it be that Hulu may well be the best option for others, even if they do have the ability to watch that show live?

How can one assure that one does appear as a number in some system?

Send a black goatee.

*shrug*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

How can one assure that one does appear as a number in some system?

A valid question indeed.   Disclaimer: I'm only a semi-industry insider, but I'm pretty sure that most of what follows is true.  smile

Allllll righty then.

Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, iTunes, virtually any online viewing portal... these views DO get counted.  If you watch content via any of those systems, your view is recorded in a database somewhere.   And those tallies do have value.  However, it's important to remember that none of those views are of any interest to a TV network.   

TV networks (for the most part) do not own the shows they air, they are licensing them from the actual owners.   They license them for one reason alone - to draw viewers so that those viewers will watch commercials.  The more viewers, the more the networks can charge for ad minutes.   If the ad minutes sell for more than the show costs to license, everybody's happy.

The revenue from all those ancillary markets like Hulu and iTunes does not go to the network that airs the show - it goes to the actual owners of the show.     Which is a nice bonus for the owners, but contributes nothing to a network's interest in keeping that show on the air.   

It's possible that a low-rated show with crazy-high online views could give the owners some wiggle room with their network - "See, our show has a million more fans than you think, we just have to get them to watch it when it's on your network!"   But exactly how do you get those fans to switch to watching the show on air?   That's the hard part.   

More likely, high online views might signal to the owners that their show has a market, just not a market on air.    The owners might decide to license the show to the network at a loss, in hopes that they will make back the difference with those online revenues.      Maybe.  Again, it depends on all the specific factors of that particular show.

A good recent example is Community - when it went on hiatus its ratings were low and it was deemed to be in trouble.   While it was on hiatus, an unusual thing occurred - all of its episodes suddenly appeared on Hulu.   Not just the previous six-or-so episodes that had aired, which is the norm, but all episodes for all seasons.  Very unusual for a show still on the air.    I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it was a very clever roll-of-the-dice by the owners of the show. 

Remember, it's not the networks that evolved that last-six-episodes-online standard, it's show owners.   Putting all your episodes online while a show is still on the air is likely to reduce your DVD and syndication sales potential (and again, that money goes to the owners and not networks).   I'm guessing Community's owners opted to try a different idea - let's put them all out there during the hiatus, and give people a chance to discover the show and get completely up to speed with it before it comes back on air.  In other words: Let's trade some of that future back end in hopes of buying ourselves another season now.

At the same time, there was a lot of grassroots campaigning from Community fans that helped raise awareness of the show - and the availability of those back episodes on Hulu made it possible for anyone to check out the show to see what all the fuss was about.    And voila - when Community returned from hiatus, its rating were measurably higher, right from the first episode.     All those Hulu views meant nothing to the network - but the increased ratings did, and now Community is probably a lock for another season.   

As with all things in life, there are more factors at work than just the ones I mentioned... but I think Community is one of the few examples of a "Save ___" campaign that actually managed to move the needle in a meaningful way.

So as for your original question - I can only think of one answer, and it's not a particularly good one.  To truly help prop up a low-rated show, you  have to convince one or two million new people to start watching it.   

Because that is the only thing that matters to the network.   You can write all the letters you want to the network saying "I love the show, I watch every week, please don't cancel it."   And that's nice and they will be happy to hear it... but their problem isn't with the people who watch the show.   They need MORE than just the people watching already.  (Similarly, no study has yet proven a link between plastic dinosaurs sent to network offices and increased viewership.)

So it'd be great if you had a half-million Twitter followers or something, because if you said to your half-million followers "OMG U have to watch Fringe it's awesome #seriouslydoit" you might actually make a difference.  Because statistically somebody in that half-million could be a Nielsen member, and now we've got the potential for actual results.  Wil Wheaton may have kept Eureka on the air these past few seasons singlehandedly, just by tweeting about his appearances on it.

(Not surprisingly, there's already a whole new industry just for this - people with popular blogs and Twitter feeds etc, are constantly approached by advertisers who pay actual money for one Tweet a la "Just tried the new Starbucks Fruity Slushpile... yummy!"    Ka-ching.)

But if you don't have a million Twitter followers, I guess your only choice is grassroots - get the word out however you can, to try and find new viewers for a show that needs them.    Get the word out far enough and there WILL be Nielsen viewers in the crowd, and voila - one of them watching will represent all those other new viewers you dug up.  That's how statistics work.

There might be other ways to get the job done, and maybe someone will come up with one - just always remember that if your goal is to help a show stay on the air, your only weapon is to convince people to watch it when it's on the air.

In the meantime, there's certainly no harm in watching shows online, and at the very least you're telling the folks who made the show that at least ONE person out there likes it, and you're putting a couple of pennies in their pocket at the same time.    The only useless activity is pirating, which neither impresses networks nor compensates show-creators.