Re: Intermission 010 - Making things on the TV box.

Interesting.  Just to sum up so I know I understand correctly: show owner sells Hulu the rights to air their show, and Hulu gets it's money back by selling ads.  Presumably there is a point at which the cost to buy the show is paid for by the ads, and Hulu and the owners get a share of those profits (?).

I'm assuming networks work the same way, but with a much greater audience; the networks can charge more for ad space, making it a more profitable business model.  That and the fact that television is much older and more established than the internet model.

While I do not have a couple million friends in my back pocket, that does give me an equally implausible idea.  Since the online model is so similar to the television model, all we need to do is get more people watching online, allow creators and owners to sell directly to entities like Hulu (much in the same way musicians are now able to record and release albums without a label or contract), and starve the networks out. Easy!

I jest, but I realize it costs a lot to make a t.v. series, and I'm guessing the networks are paying for that as well (?).  Not to mention the logistics; networks have the infrastructure in place to make them (studio, lights, cameras, crew, etc.), which would drown an independent effort before they had shot a single frame.

That's not to say it isn't possible of course.  I won't pretent to guess at the level of personal pain and sacrifice Trey put into Ark, but despite the long journey it did turn out to be a profitable venture.  I can't speak to its profitability, but Dr. Horrible also showed us that one does not need a studio or network to make or release episodic content.  Heck, wasn't that kind of the subtext of the show anyway?

What about mailing networks checks care of whatever show you want to support?  Kind of like the public radio model? "Keep it coming folks! We only need $500,000 more to get another season!"

Yeah, probably not.

I guess for now I'll just keep doing the Hulu thing until the Nielsen people stop by and drop off a ratings box.  Or I make a couple million new friends.

Matt Vayda wrote:

What about mailing networks checks care of whatever show you want to support?  Kind of like the public radio model? "Keep it coming folks! We only need $500,000 more to get another season!"

Yeah, probably not.

Actually I think this is going to end up being pretty much the only way to make anything that isn't crassly commercial. Imagine what would have happened if, instead of canceling Firefly, the studio had put a second season option for it on Kickstarter and asked fans to pay upfront to have it made?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wouldn't have worked, then or now.     Network tv shows are way too expensive to be supported by the Kickstarter model.  A full season of Firefly, conservatively, would cost $40-$50 million, no Kickstarter project has come close to that.   Maybe someday, but not yet, and obviously it wasn't an option ten years ago when Firefly was cancelled.   

There was a grassroots Kickstarter-like project to keep Enterprise on the air back in the day, too - the effort reached over a million in pledges before the studio said "Look, stop - you're not even close to what the show costs to make. Thanks, but no."

Studios are certainly watching the Kickstarter phenomenon with interest, but aside from the small-potatoes level of funding available there, there are a lot of legal and business issues that will prevent them from operating that way anytime soon.

Even if everything drops down to 70's BBC budget levels, I doubt it would work smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not so sure - there are kickstarter projects out there that have raised over $10m, so it's not obviously impossible, nor does that method have to fund the whole thing - it's still going to get revenue by being sold to networks etc, you're simply using a subscription model to offset the fact that it can't bring in the same number of eyeballs as other things.

I understand that there are entrenched business method reasons why studios find it hard to move to more innovative funding methods, the newspaper and reporting industry is going through the same thing right now, trying to find a way to pay for what they do - it's usually only when the current way to pay for things collapses completely that organizations are able to think creatively enough to make new business models viable.

Last edited by TheGreg (2012-08-22 23:03:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hope the model won't move towards Kickstarter-funded cable programs (which Trey pointed out the flaws of) but towards something like HBO. You pick the channels that produce shows you like and pay for them rather than paying for all of cable. People who subscribe to HBO for the hits - Game of Thrones, True Blood - also prop up the lower rated shows. Which would mean that the artful shows that nobody watched - like Firefly - could exist along with the big hits.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think you're right that there is going to be a range, but the big issue here is that selling advertising is going to go away as a business model for most things. Only the most commercial things are going to be able to be supported by advertising in the future. In order to continue producing anything else, there are going to have to be new funding methods.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TheGreg wrote:

...selling advertising is going to go away as a business model for most things. Only the most commercial things are going to be able to be supported by advertising in the future.

heh, I dunno if you've been on the Internet lately, but....  smile

Only the most commercial things have ever been supported by advertising.    Or to a lesser extent, the subscription model as Allison pointed out.    The only new development is that eyeballs are now moving to the Internet... and advertisers are moving with them.    You can watch a cat video on YouTube and it'll come with a pre-roll and a banner overlay now. 

Some companies will make the transition, others will disappear and some new ones will take their place.   The game is the same, just the players are changing.   The belief that "teh internet will democratize all creativity!" lasted about six weeks, and ended years ago.  Now everyone's chasing the money, just like before.

Hulu, for example, offers both models - ad-based for some content, subscription-based for more content.  Newspapers and magazines are moving to online models, but only as fast as advertisers are willing to buy ad space to make it worth doing.   

The only holdup is that advertisers still aren't willing yet to put money into internet ads as much as the tried-and-true existing venues - because even now the internet as a whole still can't guarantee the number of eyeballs that  traditional media can.   But some companies (like Hulu) are getting close to that point, enough so that they've started to put money into original content.    As is the subscription-based Netflix.   But to get their money, you have to convince them that your product will retain their audience... which means it's already exactly like TV and movies have operated for decades.  Just with less money involved.  smile

As of today we're still not at the point where an online model of any kind can justify the expense of making The Avengers, or Lost, or anything of that level.   Kickstarter seems unlikely to ever fill that gap, either.    So the question is - will a Hulu or Netflix ever reach the point where they are greenlighting hundred-million dollar projects?    (Or maybe the question should be -  how soon will they?)

Yeah it kinda blew my mind here yesterday, I was browsing on Netflix and found some stand up dude I'd never heard of, so I was like, shrug and started watching it. And the titles flashed up "A Netflix original production."

So yeah, I mean it's a stand up show (I didn't bother watching it, dude was horrible) but still they're actually making shit. Only a matter of time til the budgets get bigger.

It'll also be interesting to see how the Arrested Development thing works out. If it does, it could be a big boost to the smallish tv show thing produced specifically for online markets thing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

To be honest, I haven't seen advertising on the internet in literally years, and I don't think I'm the only person to block ads when they browse.

I'm not sure that I would agree that only the most commercial things have ever been ad supported - I think there was a 'golden age' of ads when people watched broadcast TV and could not skip the ads, but that train has truly sailed at this point.

There was certainly enthusiasm for internet ads, and you certainly still see them, but the initial enthusiasm for that is being radically readjusted as advertisers realize just how ineffective internet ads are in the main. Partly because people interact with content differently, and partly because most content that is time-shifted (DVRed or torrented or whatever else) doesn't even have ads.

Hulu and other streaming models are an interesting phenomenon, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out, but magazines and newspapers are, for the most part, finding that online ad based models are not paying their bills - the New York Times online moved back to a subscription model after not being able to make ads work.

I think the reason that advertisers are not willing to put money behind online ads is not because the are unwilling to try it, but that they have tried it and know that it doesn't work.

Ads have a future in reality TV shows and sports broadcasts, but not in quality programming, which is going to be paid for in the future by some kind of direct payment, whether it is after the fact subscription or before the fact sponsorship through kickstarter or something else. Netflix sponsoring some original content is not quite the democratization that we all hoped for, but it's a step in that direction. Smaller funders making more niche programming and recouping their costs in more creative ways (largely ad free) is the future.

Last edited by TheGreg (2012-08-23 03:29:42)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

In a way, Netflix now is no different than HBO. They get a monthly fee from you, regardless of if you watch anything. Their goal is to give you enough content that you'll keep paying the fee. Just like HBO started doing original stuff to toss in with their airings of movies, concerts and stand up comedy at the beginning, then TV series, so Netflix is doing the same. The difference is, they know exactly how many are watching the originals, so none of that "the ratings don't tell us everything" excuse. Pirating these shows WILL kill them smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well Netflix IIRC has no ads, and is entirely subscription - my premise is that that is the future for interesting content - either pay beforehand through something like kickstarter (you're commissioning a piece of work in the way art used to work), or pay after the fact through some kind of subscription model.

I'm not sure I understand how pirating has any impact on either of these models. Time-shifting / ad-blocking / watching on netflix all eliminates the need to track viewers, since you're no longer interested in how many people see it. Netflix doesn't care what you watch, they just care that you pay the fee. If I pay for Netflix (or if I don't) it makes no difference at all whether I pirate something. What matters is that enough people pay in some way to support the production. Focussing on the people who don't pay is a red herring - producers need to focus on the people who do pay, and figure out how to add enough value so that people do pay.

The problem currently is that producers are marketing a product that is difficult to pay for and inferior to the free option. The future is in producing a product that is easy to pay for and ads value to the free option.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The issue I keep running into thinking about this, is I can't see any way for a subscription service like netflix or whatever to bring in enough cash for itself to produce the amount of programming that they need to keep that level of variety. Because right now, they are still just piggy backing on all the stuff that has come before that has been produced using the traditional methods.

So aside from jacking the prices sky high to pay for their originally programming, and without some other source of income, I don't see how it could work.

(EDIT: DISLAIMER. I'm not a business guy...at all. I'm sure there are ways it could work, and I hope someone can explain it to me. /I/ just can't see it right now.)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-23 03:53:20)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't know - perhaps prices will rise, perhaps we'll start taking a longer term view and producing things that will have a longer shelf life and recoup costs over a longer period of time, or perhaps we'll find a way to drive costs down, who knows? Advertising isn't going to be able to pay for interesting content in the future, I'm pretty sure of that.

I don't know that I really agree that costs would skyrocket if every production had to be paid for without ad subsidies though - I'm not sure for any given network what the balance of ads and fees are. The more that viewers pay for content though, the more that content will be produced for them rather than for advertisers, which has got to be a good thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TheGreg wrote:

I don't know - perhaps prices will rise, perhaps we'll start taking a longer term view and producing things that will have a longer shelf life and recoup costs over a longer period of time

But this is where I hit that wall again. If the entire business model is based around having funding be provided up front instead of relying on revenue from distribution to pay for it, there is NO back end, aside from like DVD's or things like that (Which can't be a huge market, especially if you can go watch it whenever you want online anyways. So having hard copies will be relegated to the old fashioned and the die hards. Not a huge market). Once the thing is made, it's made and posted in the library, and that's it, it's not going to be making anymore money (Aside from potentially drawing in a few more subscribers).

TheGreg wrote:

The more that viewers pay for content though, the more that content will be produced for them rather than for advertisers, which has got to be a good thing.

This is true. But the thing production costs will have to be scaled way back on whatever is being produced, which means the scale of projects will have be dialed back as well. And I'm not sure that audiences will like that. We as a general viewing audience have gotten so used to the likes of Game of Thrones scale shows that if they can't produce that, the audience will have no reason to subscribe, which means the entire thing falls apart. (By audience I'm referring to the joe schmoe on the street that compose the vast majority of netflix subscribers, not artsy fags like ourselves who would actually watch smaller productions.)

It just seems like something that will start stumbling and never really gain it's footing without a major reprogramming of it's viewing audience.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-23 04:09:46)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

But this is where I hit that wall again. If the entire business model is based around having funding be provided up front instead of relying on revenue from distribution to pay for it, there is NO back end, aside from like DVD's or things like that (Which can't be a huge market, especially if you can go watch it whenever you want online anyways. So having hard copies will be relegated to the old fashioned and the die hards. Not a huge market). Once the thing is made, it's made and posted in the library, and that's it, it's not going to be making anymore money (Aside from potentially drawing in a few more subscribers).

I don't know - it's up to someone to come up with a method to pay for this - capitalism being what it is, I'm guessing that sooner or later someone will wink. Preserving the 'back end' is all about adding value. I buy DVDs even though I could rent, pirate, stream, or borrow them because they add value for me sometimes. It comes back to bottled water - how is it possible that companies can sell a product that people can get for free? Its because they manage to provide something that ads value, is at the right price point, and is more convenient than the free alternative.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

This is true. But the thing production costs will have to be scaled way back on whatever is being produced, which means the scale of projects will have be dialed back as well. And I'm not sure that audiences will like that.

Maybe, maybe not. I for one would settle for a few fewer effects based blockbusters and some more smart writing.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

We as a general viewing audience have gotten so used to the likes of Game of Thrones scale shows that if they can't produce that, the audience will have no reason to subscribe, which means the entire thing falls apart. (By audience I'm referring to the joe schmoe on the street that compose the vast majority of netflix subscribers, not artsy fags like ourselves who would actually watch smaller productions.)

It just seems like something that will start stumbling and never really gain it's footing without a major reprogramming of it's viewing audience.

There's always going to be some market for effects based rubbish, it's likely that Michael Bay can continue making that using the current models - I'm talking about how artsy fags like you and I get smart things that we want to watch produced. I agree it's going to be hard...

Last edited by TheGreg (2012-08-23 04:22:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TheGreg wrote:

There's always going to be some market for effects based rubbish - I'm talking about how artsy fags like you and I get smart things that we want to watch produced. I agree it's going to be hard...

I guess this is where we're missing each other, because you say this, but everything else you're talking about, the subscriber based system, is by necessity built on appealing to as large of an audience as possible. Netflix HAS to appeal to everyone or else they don't get enough subscribers to survive let alone make original content. And they do that by having as much stuff as possible. It works for now. But only because they have decades and decades of already produced shit to leech off of.

If they (or anyone) tries moving to an entirely original content system based solely off the funds used from subscribers (Ignoring the initial start up costs, we can assume they got a kickstarter for their first show), the amount of stuff they will be able to produce is microscopic compared to what netflix is hosting right now. So you'll have a small audience of people who dig whatever it is you're making at that point, but you won't be pulling in anywhere near enough to diversify to the point where you can have that kind of mass appeal, and make it worthwhile for people to sign up even if they don't like everything.

TheGreg wrote:

I buy DVDs even though I could rent, pirate, stream, or borrow them because they add value for me sometimes.

And as I said, that is not really a large enough market to really be considered as a serious source of income for these kinds of projects

TheGreg wrote:

It comes back to bottled water - how is it possible that companies can sell a product that people can get for free? Its because they manage to provide something that ads value, is at the right price point, and is more convenient than the alternative.

All this does is tell me about the utter inanity of the masses. That something that is exactly the same as tap water, is expensive as fuck and just leads to piles of empty bottles lying around can be considered valuable and convenient. How did they manage to get people to buy bottled water? By lying to them and implanting false ideas of purity and goodness.  I mean, it's great and all that it's still working for them, but it's not exactly a business model I want to be supporting for future endeavours.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
TheGreg wrote:

There's always going to be some market for effects based rubbish - I'm talking about how artsy fags like you and I get smart things that we want to watch produced. I agree it's going to be hard...

I guess this is where we're missing each other, because you say this, but everything else you're talking about, the subscriber based system, is by necessity built on appealing to as large of an audience as possible. Netflix HAS to appeal to everyone or else they don't get enough subscribers to survive let alone make original content. And they do that by having as much stuff as possible. It works for now. But only because they have decades and decades of already produced shit to leech off of.

I think there are two issues going on here - the collapse of advertising as a model for recouping costs, and the idea that niche (read quality) programming needs to be paid for by the (smaller) group of people who want to see it.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

If they (or anyone) tries moving to an entirely original content system based solely off the funds used from subscribers (Ignoring the initial start up costs, we can assume they got a kickstarter for their first show), the amount of stuff they will be able to produce is microscopic compared to what netflix is hosting right now. So you'll have a small audience of people who dig whatever it is you're making at that point, but you won't be pulling in anywhere near enough to diversify to the point where you can have that kind of mass appeal, and make it worthwhile for people to sign up even if they don't like everything.

I don't disagree. This means that if we want things like Firefly, we'll have to find other ways to pay for them, because studios are not going to make them under the current model of appealing to a huge number of people who are not artsy fags.

BigDamnArtist wrote:
TheGreg wrote:

I buy DVDs even though I could rent, pirate, stream, or borrow them because they add value for me sometimes.

And as I said, that is not really a large enough market to really be considered as a serious source of income for these kinds of projects

Good point, well made.

BigDamnArtist wrote:
TheGreg wrote:

It comes back to bottled water - how is it possible that companies can sell a product that people can get for free? Its because they manage to provide something that ads value, is at the right price point, and is more convenient than the alternative.

All this does is tell me about the utter inanity of the masses. That something that is exactly the same as tap water, is expensive as fuck and just leads to piles of empty bottles lying around can be considered valuable and convenient. How did they manage to get people to buy bottled water? By lying to them and implanting false ideas of purity and goodness.  I mean, it's great and all that it's still working for them, but it's not exactly a business model I want to be supporting for future endeavours.

I totally agree on the bottled water thing - I hate it, it's just an example of a company somehow managing to sell a product that people could get free, in stark contrast to HBO, refusing to sell Game of Thrones to me even though I could get it for free.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TheGreg wrote:

I'm not sure I understand how pirating has any impact on either of these models. Time-shifting / ad-blocking / watching on netflix all eliminates the need to track viewers, since you're no longer interested in how many people see it. Netflix doesn't care what you watch, they just care that you pay the fee. If I pay for Netflix (or if I don't) it makes no difference at all whether I pirate something. What matters is that enough people pay in some way to support the production.

But you need a way to justify the argument that making a new show is what is making people pay. If Netflix makes a show and nobody watches, they can save tons of money by not making more shows. If nobody watches it on Netflix but there are tones of pirated downloads... well, what have they gained? Canceling the show again will save money and cost them no lost memberships. However, if they see that a million subscribers are watching every new episode of a series, Netflix could reasonably conclude that those million will not drop their subscription so long as the show creates new content (and that can easily be tracked).

Thus, if you are a Netflix member and watch a show via torrent instead of on Netflix, you would indeed be hurting the show.

Focussing on the people who don't pay is a red herring - producers need to focus on the people who do pay, and figure out how to add enough value so that people do pay.

The only way to figure out how to add enough value so that people do pay, is to look at those that don't pay and try and find a way to make them pay. After all, that's your target audience: those who like a show, but aren't yet paying. They're the "undecided voter" of all this. You don't have to worry about the base that's already giving you money, or the haters who will never give you money.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
TheGreg wrote:

I'm not sure I understand how pirating has any impact on either of these models. Time-shifting / ad-blocking / watching on netflix all eliminates the need to track viewers, since you're no longer interested in how many people see it. Netflix doesn't care what you watch, they just care that you pay the fee. If I pay for Netflix (or if I don't) it makes no difference at all whether I pirate something. What matters is that enough people pay in some way to support the production.

But you need a way to justify the argument that making a new show is what is making people pay. If Netflix makes a show and nobody watches, they can save tons of money by not making more shows. If nobody watches it on Netflix but there are tones of pirated downloads... well, what have they gained? Canceling the show again will save money and cost them no lost memberships. However, if they see that a million subscribers are watching every new episode of a series, Netflix could reasonably conclude that those million will not drop their subscription so long as the show creates new content (and that can easily be tracked).

I think this is the only industry where customers seem to feel that it's their responsibility to try to help producers and distributers figure out how to provide a product that they want to and are able to pay for. The netflix subscriber problem is certainly an issue for them, which is why I think the kickstarter model of subsidizing production of a show up-front is a more likely model in the future, but yes, people who make and distribute tv need to figure this out.

Invid wrote:

Thus, if you are a Netflix member and watch a show via torrent instead of on Netflix, you would indeed be hurting the show.

Well, that's one way of looking at it - another is that if I pay for netflix, but for whatever reason find that tormenting it for free is more convenient then that's a massive fail from Netflix - they have a paying subscriber, and are failing to ad value over the free product that is out there. That's unimaginable in most industries.

Invid wrote:
TheGreg wrote:

Focussing on the people who don't pay is a red herring - producers need to focus on the people who do pay, and figure out how to add enough value so that people do pay.

The only way to figure out how to add enough value so that people do pay, is to look at those that don't pay and try and find a way to make them pay. After all, that's your target audience: those who like a show, but aren't yet paying. They're the "undecided voter" of all this. You don't have to worry about the base that's already giving you money, or the haters who will never give you money.

Well that's true - there are a lot of people who want to pay for Game of Thrones, for example, but HBOs business model makes it almost impossible for them to do it, while it's very easy to get the show for free. That's a big fail. iTunes and Amazon have figured out how to get people to pay for music downloads even though you can easily download for free - make it available easily with no DRM at a reasonable price. It took the music industry a long time to get there, and the traditional players didn't make it. It took new entrants into the market to see that selling music the old way wasn't going to work in the future.
I think the music example throws some real light on what is happening - there are some people who will never pay, don't worry about them, they don't matter. There are other people who will pay if you offer them what they want at the right time and price. That's economics 101.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TheGreg wrote:

I think this is the only industry where customers seem to feel that it's their responsibility to try to help producers and distributers figure out how to provide a product that they want to and are able to pay for.

Because entertainment is personal. Everything else that I consume, in the end one thing is about the same as another. It honestly doesn't matter which brand of food I buy, or what what car. So long as they get the job done, they're all the same. With a book, movie, album... I want THAT one, by THAT creator, and I want them to make more. Simple as that. I don't want music that sounds like RUSH... I want new RUSH.

Kickstarter, by the way, only gets you money from those who were going to give you money once you made it anyway. Yes, you get it in advance, and you can thus start from nothing instead of using your own money, but you don't actually make MORE income. It's not a way to increase budgets, or fund things with no existing fan base. They have to already want it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TheGreg wrote:

Well that's true - there are a lot of people who want to pay for Game of Thrones, for example, but HBOs business model makes it almost impossible for them to do it, while it's very easy to get the show for free. That's a big fail.

Actually I think HBO looked at the actual numbers, and saw they lost money by selling it the way you suggest. They think they can make more money forcing people to buy the DVD or subscribe to HBO then by letting Netflix rent/stream the show or selling it cheaper. If you have to drop the price so close to free to get those extra sales, there is no point in doing so. After all, the goal is NOT to get he largest audience, it's the get the most money. As you say, those people are going to get it free anyway so HBO is ignoring them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
TheGreg wrote:

Well that's true - there are a lot of people who want to pay for Game of Thrones, for example, but HBOs business model makes it almost impossible for them to do it, while it's very easy to get the show for free. That's a big fail.

Actually I think HBO looked at the actual numbers, and saw they lost money by selling it the way you suggest. They think they can make more money forcing people to buy the DVD or subscribe to HBO then by letting Netflix rent/stream the show or selling it cheaper. If you have to drop the price so close to free to get those extra sales, there is no point in doing so. After all, the goal is NOT to get he largest audience, it's the get the most money. As you say, those people are going to get it free anyway so HBO is ignoring them.

Well, on one level that sounds like a rational decision, but I think it has a lot to do with entrenched business systems. It's the same thinking that leads record companies to think they can make more money selling cd albums than mp3 downloads. Maybe, for a while, but in the long run that's a dead end. There is a whole generation of kids who scratch their heads at the idea that in the past people organized their schedule around when a tv show was 'on'. Game of Throne may make short term sense this way, but it's not a viable long-term strategy, and sooner or later iTunes or Amazon or someone is going to be there snapping at their heels, having figured out a distribution method that works.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
TheGreg wrote:

I think this is the only industry where customers seem to feel that it's their responsibility to try to help producers and distributers figure out how to provide a product that they want to and are able to pay for.

Because entertainment is personal. Everything else that I consume, in the end one thing is about the same as another. It honestly doesn't matter which brand of food I buy, or what what car. So long as they get the job done, they're all the same. With a book, movie, album... I want THAT one, by THAT creator, and I want them to make more. Simple as that. I don't want music that sounds like RUSH... I want new RUSH.

Kickstarter, by the way, only gets you money from those who were going to give you money once you made it anyway. Yes, you get it in advance, and you can thus start from nothing instead of using your own money, but you don't actually make MORE income. It's not a way to increase budgets, or fund things with no existing fan base. They have to already want it.

I get that - that's why for most of human history artists have been commissioned by the job by people who paid upfront. Its a relatively recent invention to think that you can work on something hoping to recoup the costs by selling copies of it after the fact. I think we're going to look back on this as a period where the normal rules were suspended for a while, but go back to the kind of model where people get paid based on the work they do, not on how many copies of it they can sell. It's going to be tough to figure it out, but technology and innovation will help provide a new (old?) business model.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dragging this up because HBO has decided to start offering stand-alone HBO GO next year. Business models are changing.

http://www.timewarner.com/newsroom/pres … to-offer-a

No price listed as of yet. I expect it to be well above Netflix's sub-$10 range.

Last edited by Phi (2014-10-15 19:47:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down