Re: Cool Trailers

I won't be seeing Ender's Game no matter what, because fuck Orson Scott Card, but that trailer wouldn't have persuaded me anyway. The film has a massive lack of personality. It looks like JJ's Star Trek but younger. I'm not seeing a distinct identity anywhere in that trailer. Pass.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

The author has said that there's no romance subplot, and that that's the reason it took so long to get made - that the studios kept insisting there be a romance plot (in an adaptation of a book about an 8 year old, which is kinda creepy TBH...) - but even if there's NOT a romance sub-plot, they've got the hugging shot and the fact that they've upped the ages to fourteen - sixteen. Idiot kids who don't follow movie news will see this and assume there's some kind of romance thing going on.

Having read the books, these aren't the things that bug me. Making everyone older is pretty standard for movies (see every high school movie ever). I prefer them to get slightly older kids who can act over 7-8 year olds who can't. And in defence of the hug, it's between Ender and his sister. His strong (platonic) love of his sister is pretty central to his character.

Having Kingsley in Maori-face is a bit weird. And I'm not sure why they're focusing on the adult POV when it should probably be primarily interactions between the kids. I guess to give Ford and Kingsley more trailer time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

"Based on the worldwide best seller."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d0KjP-xaD5w/USaM84OxoTI/AAAAAAAAKzY/ajaDh-K5I3s/s1600/dont-care.gif

I can't post it but here is a link to the first trailer for the latest Pegg/Frost/Wright movie, The World's End. It seems to give away a lot- http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/the … r/2t5faj5e

EDIT, it is now on Youtube, officially-

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-05-09 17:20:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2013-05-10 00:23:37)

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

"Beautiful don't cha think?"
"What?"
"It kinda makes you wanna-"
"Break into song?"
"Yep."

Come on, I can't be the only one thinking it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Must... resist... space...

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That was Sandra Bullock? Could've sworn she was Famke Janssen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

7 seconds! Now that's a teaser.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

And the 30 second version-

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is this set before or after Avengers, though?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After.

Show
The show explains that Coulson actually survived Loki's spear, and Fury covered up his death to motivate the Avengers. Which I'm okay with, because the movie basically does the same thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, speaking of TV trailers, the new J.J. Abrams show looks neat. Nice to see a show about a grim dystopian future that still has a sense of humor about itself.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like fun, although I'm a bit skeptical after J.J.'s last show, Revolution, which is pure crap.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How am I just finding out about this movie now?

Hey, I just discovered Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are making a movie too, all about the end of the world:
http://movies.uk.msn.com/trailers-and-c … epermalink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

How am I just finding out about this movie now?

As much as I usually despise this style of comedy or however you describe...it, I think I might be willing to give this one a shot. John Francis Daley has never done me wrong, neither has Anna Kendrick, plus shes cute as all seven kinds of hell, plus Ken Jeong.... and religion warping. Yeah, alright, I guess I can take a look.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-05-23 23:55:57)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

New Riddick movie is called...well "Riddick" and looks to be going back to its horror roots a little:
[video (cant extract ID)]

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Someone posted that a while back somewhere, can't for the life of me remember where though.

Either way, looks badass, can't wait.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Phi wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

The author has said that there's no romance subplot, and that that's the reason it took so long to get made - that the studios kept insisting there be a romance plot (in an adaptation of a book about an 8 year old, which is kinda creepy TBH...) - but even if there's NOT a romance sub-plot, they've got the hugging shot and the fact that they've upped the ages to fourteen - sixteen. Idiot kids who don't follow movie news will see this and assume there's some kind of romance thing going on.

Having read the books, these aren't the things that bug me. Making everyone older is pretty standard for movies (see every high school movie ever). I prefer them to get slightly older kids who can act over 7-8 year olds who can't. And in defence of the hug, it's between Ender and his sister. His strong (platonic) love of his sister is pretty central to his character.

Having Kingsley in Maori-face is a bit weird. And I'm not sure why they're focusing on the adult POV when it should probably be primarily interactions between the kids. I guess to give Ford and Kingsley more trailer time.

It's funny, I just re-read Enders Game in the form of an Audiobook. Orson Scott Card has this whole self-important schpiel in an afterword about how he refused to give out the movie rights unless Ender was being AT THE OLDEST 12.  How he would NEVER have Ender played by a 16 year old. And Asa Butterfield is.......... 16.

Kinda funny.

So this looks completely how you NOT do this book, sadly.

Damnit.

It's such an insanely awesome book, all relying on you NOT knowing a particular thing..... ....and they seem hellbent on spoiling it from day one?

Wow.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Someone posted that a while back somewhere, can't for the life of me remember where though.

Either way, looks badass, can't wait.

I did it. It was me...I double posted myself wink
In all seriousness, I didn't recall seeing this trailer so even if it is old news, its still fun smile

On Ender's Game *sigh*
I really wish they had just passed on the material. Its a decent book, but I think it can't quite work as a movie, given Ender's age, the violence and rather adult themes that sometimes come out with the kids.
Actually, not that I write that, I'm not surprised, now that we have "Hunger Games"

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Enders game would PROBABLY work best as a cartoon / anime thing... or full CGI... but who would spend the $ to make such a dark, violent and death-of-innocence-of-an-8-year-old thing? Nobody.

Stick to the book. But make sure pick up the book used or download it illicitly, unless you want to sponsor Orson Scott Cards latter day homophobic insanity. sad

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

Enders game would PROBABLY work best as a cartoon / anime thing... or full CGI... but who would spend the $ to make such a dark, violent and death-of-innocence-of-an-8-year-old thing? Nobody.

Stick to the book. But make sure pick up the book used or download it illicitly, unless you want to sponsor Orson Scott Cards latter day homophobic insanity. sad

/Z

I'm sure there is a market for an anime or manga version that could hit the darker themes. I'm sure there is an audience who wants to see an 8 year old treated horrible...

Also, buy the cliff's notes or head to the library. It really isn't worth dropping any money on. Not just because of OSC's politics but because I don't think its that great.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think there might have been a comic book adaptation too. I don't suppose anyone has read them?

My eldest nephew is about to turn 8 years old in a few months, so I'm rather struck by the concept.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah. This looks epic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca