Re: Cool Trailers

If JJ recons Rey to be a Skywalker, I'm gonna be so pissed. I much prefer her being a nobody. Anybody can have the Force. You don't have to be a bloody Skywalker for it.

Also, rhyme for seeing Threepio without his outer shell, Episode 9 to Episode 1?

Ben wrote:

Also, rhyme for seeing Threepio without his outer shell, Episode 9 to Episode 1?

It's like poetry!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I know nothing about this movie except this trailer, but I am ON BOARD.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Intrigued. Fucking intrigued.

Prediction-wise, I can see it goin' either way. I hope it's as good as seems possible, 'cuz that would be quite good.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm down.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice trailer. Any idea who made it?  Seems like a really specific style.  It is imitating something else?  EDIT: Hmm, I had not heard of A24. I'm further intrigued.

Last edited by Beeg (2020-02-14 01:16:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Forty-four days, babyyyyy

Goes without saying but the level of technical advancement in this thing is insane. Closest a game has ever gotten to photoreal people.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I swear to god, I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, I just am an asshole:

Is the entire game... cinematics? I understand this trailer fine as an advertisement for a movie; but a game...?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not an asshole at all!

Generally Naughty Dog has separated out their cinematic trailers (exclusively cutscenes) and their gameplay trailers. The one below is the gameplay trailer, which fucking RULES—starts out in a cutscene and then transitions into the actual game about four minutes in.

Last edited by Abbie (2020-05-06 16:26:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank you. In the very small portion of the universe known as 'my head,' much sense has suddenly been made.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TLOU is also a weird series to talk about cinematics vs. gameplay because so much of the design is centered around making the entire game have the vibe of a cinematic. I haven't really been following TLOU2 but I don't think they're going quite to the level of what something like God Of War did where the entire game is one continuous experience weaving in and out of cutscenes organically, but they do try to maintain that mood from what I've seen.

(I may be skipping over something come to think... how aware are you of the entire /thing/ of cinematic game trailers T?)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BDA wrote:

...how aware are you of the entire /thing/ of cinematic game trailers, T?

Well. Having literally worked on one, my answer is — literally — "Not at all."

*sunglasses*

Teague Chrystie: Vintage Dumbass.

BDA wrote:

...the entire game is one continuous experience weaving in and out of cutscenes organically

To me, this philosophy seems like a really promising candidate for moving toward ''''''art'''''' from 'shooters.'

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) Lol fair enough. You just seemed surprised by the idea that they would be selling the game with a cinematic trailer.

2) I didn't get to play it, cause hey lookityou console exclusives, but I watched a few bits and bobs of playthroughs and it is an extremely, oddly, immersive experience when the entire game is one continuous stream with no cuts. And definitely creates a different experience compared to the usual filmic style of weaving together cutscenes and gameplay ala Uncharted or what have you. I think those still definitely have their place obv, not every story works with sticking with one perspective through the entire game (Naughty Dog is a masterclass in using cinematic cut scenes to build these really rich emotional stories that work in tandem with the gameplay), but it's one hell of a feat to pull it off across an entire 20+ hours of game.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Teague wrote:

To me, this philosophy seems like a really promising candidate for moving toward ''''''art'''''' from 'shooters.'

Not to double post, but eh, fuckit, it's 2020, nothing matters anyways... it's kind of interesting that you say towards 'art', away from 'shooter', as a classification because I'd be hard pressed to call TLOU a shooter. (I mean, ignoring the entire argument that games can't be/aren't already art, because that is demonstrably and patently bullshit).

But TLOU sits in an interesting place in that regard, because while there is shooting involved in TLOU it's an extremely tiny portion of the game, the rarity of ammo placed throughout the game means that you spend the entire game saving and rationing what ammo you have for the moments that absolutely require it, and most of the time you are exploring, puzzle solving, stealthing or using other impromptu weapons.

IDK, it's just an interesting thing that even in a game that is so story focused, and that tries to ground it's gunplay in some semblance of realism of an apocalyptic scenario, it still gets lumped into the shooter category by a lot of people. Just goes to show that games still have a lot of ground to make up in public perception I guess.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oof can I just say what an amazing experience God of War was. Loved every moment of it.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Random fun fact: In my head, I didn't lump TLOU into the shooter category; I was talking about something else.

...but that was definitely not made clear in my post. So.

*thumbs*

Honestly, your second post sold me on the game — again: honestly — like TEN TIMES MORE than either trailer.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gotcha. Point still stands, I've heard plenty of people talk about TLOU and games like it as 'Shooters', so that whole thing was already swirling around in my brain.

And since we're talking about it I'll throw these in here if you happen to be curious and have some time kicking around. Nolan North and Troy Baker have a youtube channel where among other things they are playing through thier own games (Uncharted and The Last Of Us respectively), so not only do you get to watch through the game you get all of thier behind the scenes stories and occasionally they'll have guests on, like they had Amy Hennig, creator of Uncharted on, and some other cast members and stuff. It's a grand ol' time.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

One tiny bright side of covid is I'll be able to see this on VOD next month rather than waiting the whole summer for a theater near me to play it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eh.

iunno.

Thoughts? This looks competently made and all, but it's also a little off-putting for some reason I can't pinpoint.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With the understanding that I know effectively nothing about Dune: I think it looks fucking incredible so far, and unlike almost anything we've had in the genre in a long damn time (BR2049 is about the only thing I can think of offhand that's come close recently). An epic sweeping space opera about family and giant desert worms, what more could I possibly ask for.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I choose to arrogantly adopt BDA's thing.

(IOW, "sold.")

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm with Teague's original opinion—I'm in the "Villeneuve is completely overpraised" camp and I really really hate Fraser's overall monochromatic look. Cast is solid tho

Thumbs up Thumbs down

NGL I literally /just/ remembered Villeneuve also directed 2049 when you said that. I knew I stopped more or less caring about about directors at some point, but damn. Apparently he and I are just right on the same wavelength.

And aw, that's a shame, the monochromatic look is one of my favorite things about the trailer, absolutely pitch perfect for the movie it looks like they're making (again, not a damn solitary clue about Dune beyond this trailer.)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BR2049 is to me one of the best things that have happened to cinema in the last few years. I nearly don't know the first thing about Dune but I trust Villeneuve to do things right. I was kinda bummed that it's done without Deakins but Fraser looks like he knows his shit.

Last edited by Saniss (2020-09-14 18:30:31)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down