Re: Back to the Future

cool!  big_smile

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I sorta know him too, as we made Knudson Menace together.  I also got to film that car when it was the Mr Fusion Delorean.

That's right, he did a full restore to a Mr. Fusion, tore it down, and rebuilt it to an A car.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

That's my buddy (and husband of Amy "Pink FIve" Earhart) Terry Matalas in that clip.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The same Terry Matalas that worked on Star Trek: Enterprise? Wow, Hollywood is a small town...  smile

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yup.  Who also writes for Nikita and is writing a ST:TNG comic book as well.  Who also produced Knudson Menace with me.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Nice cool I remembered his name from the ST-ENT credits (that's how big of a nerd I am).

You're telling me that movies are made by real people? Now that's just crazy big_smile

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, I was listening to a movie podcast called Battleship Pretension. It's a really good podcast, but both hosts do not like BTTF.

Can you believe that? I mean, who the fuck doesn't like BTTF!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mr. Pointy wrote:

So, I was listening to a movie podcast called Battleship Pretension. It's a really good podcast, but both hosts do not like BTTF.

Who are these crazy mixed up fools? Do they give reasons why?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I watched Back to the Future today and made a chart of the setups and payoffs in the movie. If you can think of one I missed, please do let me know.

It goes:
00:00 Setup -------- Payoff (time of payoff moment) [time elapsed since setup moment]

Also: Act # break (time of act break) [length of act]

It's also possible that some of the math is wrong, 'cause after staring at this screen all day, I. am. tired. But the time stamps of the moments should all be correct.

http://s20.postimage.org/46b0iw33x/Backtothe_Future_Setup.png

Nice!  Never seen it all laid out like that before...

A few others I can think of  -

At first Marty's sister is unpopular, then at the end is told by the brother "hey, I can't keep track of all your boyfriends" or some such.

The scene with Jennifer in the town square is completely crammed with setups - in addition to the clock tower flyer, there's also:

Marty sees the 4x4 truck, later he will own it.

Marty frets about sending his demo tape to record companies, and Jennifer says "Like Doc says, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything".  Marty answers with "what if they say I'm no good?...  Jesus, I'm starting to sound like my old man",    Later George says the same thing almost verbatim about his writing to Marty, and Marty gives him the "put your mind to it" line.   Which George then echoes again at the end, talking about his novel - "It's like I always say, if you put your mind to it..."

And the demo tape itself is a setup - (I believe) it's the same tape he later uses to melt George's brain.   (I admit I could be wrong on this one).

EDIT - oh, you had the 4x4 in there already, I missed it.   Carry on.

Bathilda wrote:

I watched Back to the Future today and made a chart of the setups and payoffs in the movie.

That's amazing. Have you done any other movies? It would be great to compare BTTF to weaker films to see the difference.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

Have you done any other movies? It would be great to compare BTTF to weaker films to see the difference.

Hey, thanks! This is the first one I've done. My plan before I started was to do this with Bttf, Titanic, Holes and then progress to less obvious/weaker ones to compare them. I may still do this, but making that dang chart was way more mentally and emotionally exhausting than I had guessed possible, so I think I'm going to take some time off and let my brain re-solidify. ...But yeah, I'd imagine I'll do more in the future. You have any good candidates?

Also, where would you all peg the act 2/3 break in BttF? I think I put it as the kids coming back to "life" in the picture at the dance, but I'm not sure if that's correct. What do you all think?

Last edited by Bathilda (2013-03-02 05:29:42)

This is great! I can't wait to see more.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd agree the act break comes when Marty has gotten his parents to fall in love, and the final act is all about getting Marty back to the future.   

I think that makes the actual break Marty's final scene with his mom in the stairwell, where we find out for sure that Lorraine has chosen George.   Once that's settled, we immediately cut to Marty meeting up with Doc at the clock tower and the race to the finish is on.

Trey wrote:

And the demo tape itself is a setup - (I believe) it's the same tape he later uses to melt George's brain.   (I admit I could be wrong on this one).

I'm pretty sure it's a Van Halen tape.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bathilda, would you be willing to send me your document with all of the text? I'd love to make an infographic out of this.

(It would say "collated/written/whatever by [you], infographic by [me]." I'm not trying to steal your thunder, I just really like making infographics, and this is outstanding.  cool )

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Trey wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a Van Halen tape.

I know it says Van Halen but it's a handwritten label and it's not an actual Van Halen song that plays, just a Van Halen-esque riff.   And Marty certainly plays like Van Halen... so I dunno.

Insert shots are always suspect to me (severed arm in the Mos Eisley cantina, etc) - and that Van Halen label always seemed to me like a last-minute attempt to explain - or change - whatever that tape was originally intended to be.

I could be wrong, it's just a suspicion I have.

Cool Story Bro time - I am old enough that several of my USC film professors also taught Lucas and Zemeckis, and one of those professors was always saying "You can save any scene with an insert shot".    That was probably the single most important thing I learned in film school, really - and when I see critical information presented via insert shots in Lucas or Zemeckis movies I always think "Yep, I had that same guy."

Teague: I most definitely will! I was hoping someone would offer!! Powerpoint has proved insufficient for this task and I gladly hand it off to you. But you're going to have to wait a day, because I'm going to send some other info thingies along with it that I learned while doing this, as well. : )

Trey: I think it SHOULD have been Marty's band's tape. They even establish his band's name, so all they would have had to do was change the label on the tape. *sigh* I guess they went for the funny pop culture gag instead. 10 points to you if you know the name of Marty's band without checking.

Show
The Pinheads

So adorable.

I didn't include the "put your mind to it" thing in because it happens three times at the beginning, middle and end and therefore seemed like more of the theme of the movie than anything else. (And I couldn't decide how I would fit all of that one on the page in any sort of organized manner. tongue But I'll put it on the list so Teague can put it in his infographic if he wants to.) -- Edit: D'oh! The sister popularity one is good, too! Will add.

And my "cool story bro" tale for the movie is this: Going to see Back to the Future was my parents' first date. So for me this movie has almost always had this extra layer of, "What if I have to go back in time, to make my parents go on their first date to see a movie about a kid who has to go back in time to make sure his parents go on their first date." The idea blew my mind as a youth and has remained much more of a threat in my head than it really should.

Last edited by Bathilda (2013-03-02 09:20:56)

Cool stories bros!  cool

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Trey wrote:

I know it says Van Halen but it's a handwritten label and it's not an actual Van Halen song that plays, just a Van Halen-esque riff.   And Marty certainly plays like Van Halen... so I dunno.

I guess I always assumed it was a little clip from "Eruption" or "Atomic Punk". According to TMZ, it actually is Eddie Van Halen just messing around. In universe, tho, it might be Marty emulating Eddie to demo to other musicians at school.

/nobody rules these streets at night but me

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

According to Bob Gale on his commentary, they couldn't get the entire band to agree to be featured in the movie, but Eddie Van Halen was fine with it, so they just labeled the tape Edward (small letters) VAN HALEN and, I guess, hoped we wouldn't notice. ... All of this begs the question, WHY IN THE WORLD would you not want to be in Back to the Future!?

What, you mean that kids movie with Huey Lewis in it? Oh, sure, THAT sounds like a rock'n good time...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not only is Huey Lewis in it, his songs are all over the soundtrack!

Wait, wait - come back... I haven't even told you that we just replaced the original movie star lead with some kid from tv!

Or that this kid's sidekick is Reverend Jim from 'Taxi', with white hair!