Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

bullet3 wrote:

That is really fucking good, I need to take a look at this kickstarter

Yeah he ran the campaign almost 2 years ago, and it was the highest funded film ever on Kickstarter to that point. I'm excited for the feature.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rya … ature-film

Last edited by Sam F (2013-04-18 15:38:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Elementary and Orphan Black are really cutting into my movie-watching time, these days. I might be just about done with Orphan Black. Three episodes in, and it's having to go way out of its way to keep its main character in the dark and yet stop her from just running away.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Squiggly_P wrote:

This has happened to me a number of times where I've watched a movie years after it came out and some guy that had a bit part in that movie is now a big star. You see them and you're like "OH SHIT, IT'S WHAT'S HIS FACE FROM THAT OTHER THING.

for reasons I can't really explain I watched the tomb raider movie the other night and was shocked to realize the villain was Ser Jorah from Game of Thrones, his side kick is the Guy from Green Wing and James Bond is in it putting on a silly voice

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I'm with ya on hunger games. I thought it was pretty meh.  Haven't checked out the books tho

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The world of The Hunger Games (only the movie - I haven't read any of those books) seems pretty interesting, but the plot doesn't have enough substance to it. It reminds me a little of The Chronicles Of Riddick. The action can be entertaining, but it's a one-time watch.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I fucking bought the Hunger Games Blu-Ray based on critical acclaim and general public praise.

Guess I'm not listening to any of those fuckers ever again.

.. The movie was alright, but not worth buying. Maybe netflix instant or potential rental.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

I fucking bought the Hunger Games Blu-Ray based on critical acclaim and general public praise.

I watched 2001 expecting "the best movie ever made"...

sad_tennant

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

This has happened to me a number of times where I've watched a movie years after it came out and some guy that had a bit part in that movie is now a big star. You see them and you're like "OH SHIT, IT'S WHAT'S HIS FACE FROM THAT OTHER THING.

for reasons I can't really explain I watched the tomb raider movie the other night and was shocked to realize the villain was Ser Jorah from Game of Thrones, his side kick is the Guy from Green Wing and James Bond is in it putting on a silly voice

I have a sudden urge to go re watch Tomb Raider...can't say why...

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Saw GI Joe Retaliation this past weekend - much better than the first movie and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It has its problems, some inherited and some of its own, but I liked it.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone else seen Simon Pegg's new project?
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/ … d-trailer/

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, we've talked about it in another thread and I posted the teaser trailer in the Cool Trailers thread too. It's the final part of the Wright-Pegg-Frost 'Cornetto Trilogy' that also included Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I can't wait to see it smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, I missed that part.
Carry on wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So Spielberg and Lucas have figured out what some of us already knew - the film industry is "imploding".

"I think eventually the Lincolns will go away and they're going to be on television," Lucas said. "As mine almost was," Spielberg interjected. "This close -- ask HBO -- this close."

"We're talking Lincoln and Red Tails -- we barely got them into theaters. You're talking about Steven Spielberg and George Lucas can't get their movie into a theater," Lucas said.

"I got more people into Lincoln than you got into Red Tails," Spielberg joked.

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/Bmkfo_wcx2s/hqdefault.jpg

If that was what Shyamalan was going for, then maybe he should have said so in the movie.   I think this is a case of imprinting much more on a movie than was actually there.

However, having read that I am now going to pull a Dorkman and say I am totally going to start thinking about a script where everybody thinks aliens are coming but it turns out it's actually demons.   Because that is a great idea.

http://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBNYw07iN1Go5c9&w=300&h=444&url=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fen%2F7%2F7e%2FThe_Finder_US_poster.jpeg

The Finder
(Moderate spoilers for the first episode)

So I ran across this the other day on netflix and thought I'd give it a try as I'd seen the backdoor pilot they did, and remembered I'd been curious to check out the actual show.

If you don't know what The Finder is, basically an ex-military genius has a gift and an obsession with finding people and things. A pretty simple and fun idea. It's based off some book that I have no idea about, this incarnation first appeared as a backdoor pilot in an episode of Bones, it was fun, light and quirky, the core Finder cast had a really amazing chemistry and it was generally and sincerely fun. So I was looking forward to the actual show (And then forgot about for 2 years).

And I don't know what they hell they did to it, but the actual show is down right verging on horrible. They retain most of the core elements, he's ex military and likes to find things. But removed 1/3 of the trifecta core cast that was in the Bones backdoor pilot, the Saffron Burrows character, So the entire dynamic of that is thrown out of wack. And moreover they kept trying to make it a dark and gritty show about fractured characters and eeeemoooootioooons, and every single time it falls flat. Seriously in the first episode we are introduced to the ex-juvie hippy girl with a vengeful parole officer whose soul mission in life is to send her back to juvie, the idea the Walter (The titular "Finder") is mentally ill, and Walter has some sort of dark and sullied parts of his military history; and it's all presented with the artistic gracefullness of a fully loaded pack mule doing ballet on the freeway. They also introduced the obligatory cop character for every show about a detective, in this case played by Mercedes Masöhn, who... how do I put this, couldn't act her way out a wet paper bag. And I will admit, I've never seen her before, so she might be the victim of bad script or director. I really wish I could find a copy of one part on youtube because it is truly so cartoonishly horrible, basically they are discussing some mob boss Walt wants to meet and the cop character just stops deadpans and mutters the mob bosses name under her breath like some cartoon character, and then when they are on the mob bosses boat (at sea mind you) staring at the mob boss (Played by the delicious Jamie Murray...in a gold one piece swimsuit playing the trombone cartoonishly bad, while surrounded by body guards in florescent orange tracksuits...oh just wait) the trained and seasoned cop stares at her with the kind of look you give someone who just slapped your dog and says (literally word for word here) "We haaate her."

And that's where I pretty much checked out.

The show seems to be constantly trying to straddle the lines of retaining that fun, quirky sensibility and turning it towards this darker more realistic thing, and yet has this weird turrets like tick of throwing in these flat out cartoony moments and it ALL falls flat at every turn. Which really makes me sad. I went into the show, coming off the bones episode, expecting a kind of fun, quirky, lighthearted detective show about a guy who is just really really good at finding anything and everything and so has a kind of unofficial detective business on the side of running his rural florida lakeside bar, kind of a Pushing Daisies crossed with Bones sort of a deal. And what I got was something so completely not that at all.

I do have to credit to a couple things though, Geoff Stults is really good and carries the show as much as he can with pure charm and charisma (But he's carrying a lot of weight), and Michael Clarke Duncan is ...well...  the motherfucking Michael Clarke Duncan and that's all there is to it. (It was really cool to see him again, I miss that big guy).

I don't really have anything more to say on it, it just makes me sad.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Trey wrote:

I think this is a case of imprinting much more on a movie than was actually there.

Speaking of...

Someone linked that on facebook a couple days ago and I think we have a new touchstone for "Bringing your own concrete." And bulldozers....cranes... construction crew... city planners, inspection officers, the hot girls that hold the stop and slow signs, and enough population to fill a new city....and so on and so forth.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

No longer a stalwart?

Die Hard With A Yawn: Bruce Willis Says He’s ‘Bored’ Doing Action Flicks

This is "rocket racoon" in a multi-hundred million dollar movie coming out next summer:
http://i.imgur.com/UV04sJT.gif

Marvel done lost their minds, but it might just work in a Buckaroo Banzai weirdness kind of way.
This is so going to bomb though

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

This is "rocket racoon" in a multi-hundred million dollar movie coming out next summer:
http://i.imgur.com/UV04sJT.gif

Marvel done lost their minds, but it might just work in a Buckaroo Banzai weirdness kind of way.
This is so going to bomb though

THANK GOD someone is finally talking about Rocket Raccoon. I feel like I have been waiting for this moment (the moment where a raccoon is a star in what might be the most popular movie franchise ever) my entire life.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is that raccoon...wearing a little superhero outfit?

This will either be the best film ever made, or the end of civilization.  Perhaps both.

I think it's a flight suit or uniform of some sort, Trey. Rocket Raccoon is an accomplished starship pilot and military leader!

I am sure those details helped convince you that this movie is going to be the former.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yes indeed. 

brb, gotta take these boxes of canned food and ammunition down to the basement.

Now they just need to get Nic Cage to do the voice and we're all set

Thumbs up Thumbs down

okay, so i know that this has been revisited about 1000 times here, but check this guy out.  I really like his storyboards and his presentation of a take on an alternate plot for Star Wars Episode II.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbug3AhYmw

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

That was interesting, but there's way too much non-adventure. It's almost all meetings and conversations. Here are the action beats:

• Unimportant space battle

• Darth Maul fights Anakin, then Obi Wan

• Clones attack Dooku's base while heroes casually fly away

That's it.

His Phantom Menace rewrite is a little better. There's more action, and it's more meaningful, but it's also a lot less different from Lucas' version.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries