Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Saniss wrote:

PS: I can't talk much about the movie. I liked it a lot but I was already a big fan of the TV series, so it had that taste of "Oh, so that's where it all came from. By the way, O'Neill looks so fucking serious!".

It was Richard Dean Anderson's sense of humor that made the TV show work (the same can be said of MacGyver). Action simply isn't memorable enough, you need an extra factor (in this case, a charming lead). How many episodes of MacGyver do you remember? Can you recall the plot of any of them? I remember one about some fake UFOs and that's it wink What I remember most about MacGyver is his personality.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love RDA but he wasn't everything in SG-1. His humor PLUS the bonds between all of them made it work. Don't make me choose between Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neill... How they managed to always stay alive and make bizarre alien machines work was already a wonder to me as a kid, and I loved the show for that. smile

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You said it, Chewie. I wouldn't trust Emmerich with anything these days.

The TV shows, despite their flaws, were watchable. I liked the humorous tone of SG-1 and Atlantis. The long story arc of Universe was drifting, but I think it could be salvaged. Why not continue the existing franchise? It still has a fanbase. A fanbase that can be lost because of a bad reboot (that's exactly what happened to Trekkies after the J.J. reboot).

See, I don't get this reaction. The point of the reboot is to draw in NEW fans, not just rehash the old material. While Abrams movies were not perfect (by any stretch and I LIKED them( it did draw in new fans and kept the franchise going and made Paramount some money. It worked on a number of fronts, and the hard core fans who didn't like it, didn't leave the franchise because of it. They just won't see the new movies. They are still fans and, for them, the franchise will continue like the movies never existed. Merchandising hasn't really changed so, it really is a wash.

Stargate will likely be the same way.

The thing, for me, is that Emmerich had a whole plan for the Stargate universe, and actually had five novels written regarding the aftermath of the movie, involving Hathor and Earth being attacked from space. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_l … elizations

So, while the argument could be made for lack of new ideas, I think that Emmerich is actually trying to explore the Stargate universe further and deeper than he could when the first movie came out. He has greater capabilities, and he isn't going back and making a sequel to Stargate, which SG-1, Atlantis and Universe, all are the sequels, so rebooting it makes more sense.

In addition, Emmerich is on record of wanting to create a trilogy, of fleshing out and entire mythology, pulling from multiple Earth mythologies, including Greek, and only loosely tie together. Now, he can create the grand mythos and overarching themes and put them on a bigger scale.

I'm not saying that SG-1 and the rest were not impressive; they absolutely are, in their own right. It is still one of my favorite TV shows of all time and my brother and I want to create SG team uniforms (yep, nerds). I just am excited to see what Emmerich wants to create.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110916195908/stargate/images/e/e2/Ra%27s_mask_retracts.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/19/Ra_original_humanoid.jpg/170px-Ra_original_humanoid.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/055/c/8/Stargate_by_LeFurieuxRoidesmers.gif

So, while I can agree that a reboot is odd, speaking as a fan of the movie and TV shows, I would be more than willing to give Emmerich the chance to revisit it. There is a great amount of potential here and he already has ideas of what he wants to do, not just go back to it because he has nothing better to do.

And, I'm sorry, as cool as Teal'c was, Anubis guard from the film was pretty incredible.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

I watched maybe two episodes of Universe before deciding it was too much serious business for a Stargate series.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

And I stopped Universe after about 6 episodes.

I may be one of the few fans of SG-1 and Atlantis who also loved Universe. It definitely had its problems early on, but the serious tone never bothered me. The second season got off to a better start, and the show was brilliant towards the end. It was a completely undeserved cancellation.

I'm not sure how I feel about rebooting the Stargate film franchise. I'm not a big fan of the original movie. The world-building is there, but the characters are dull. That's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited by Cotterpin Doozer (2013-09-07 07:44:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It wasn't the tone, it was never the tone, I actually really liked the idea of a Stargate series with a more BSG feel. (Which is what it was always sold as)

It was the fact the show had absolutely zero fucking clue what it was, who it was, what the hell it wanted to do. I swear, watching Universe trying to tell a story was like watching a drunk giant baby wander around new york bumping into buildings and setting off giant domino chains of shattered glass and dreams.

After like 6 or 7 episodes of watching them go around in the same little circle, I said screw it and stopped. And I never heard a single word from anywhere that said I should ever go back. So I didn't.

Although, if they reboot anything Stargate...or anything really, more Robert Carlyle being scruffy and sarcastic, oh gods yes. Robert Carlyle being scruffy and sarcastic for everyone, everywhere. Tasty.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-09-07 07:50:41)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/055/c/8/Stargate_by_LeFurieuxRoidesmers.gif

I really want to be impressed, but I can't stop looking at that tracking. It's just painful.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I caught some SG1 and ended up watching the last 2 years quite regularly, I saw the first 3 or so seasons of Atlantis but put it to one side when they ran into the 4th or 5th set of replicators but destroyed their planet in less than 45 minutes.

I gave Universe 10 episodes before deciding it was a bit naff. As for the original film? It's ok but really kinda dull. But it did a very good job of convincing you the characters are on an alien planet.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Watch the back bottom edge of the helmet as it starts to unfold until about the 3rd layer is up, it's really floaty, once the helmet is pretty much all the way built and he starts to turn it's alright though.

And yes, I do realize I'm talking about tracking from 94, but I can't help it, it bugs me.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I loved that effect, though. Technologically, it doesn't make sense, but it's badass.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

I really want to be impressed, but I can't stop looking at that tracking. It's just painful.

What tracking?

I absolutely hate effects shots like this that completely ignore the volume of the material. Where the fuck does all that shit go? The ear-fan things alone are a quarter of an inch thick!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I was forcibly willing myself to ignore that, but yeah, I hate that shit. It's ridiculous.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Zarban wrote:

I absolutely hate effects shots like this that completely ignore the volume of the material. Where the fuck does all that shit go? The ear-fan things alone are a quarter of an inch thick!

Yeah, even as a kid, watching the films, I'm going, what?

But, for 1994, again, as a kid, i was still impressed by the idea. To me, the fact that Emmerich has always wanted to continue in this world, and in a different vein than the TV show is a plus. The fact that it has been almost 20 years means that technology has come a long way and some of the more goofy aspects of the original film.

I think there is a lot of potential here for Emmerich and the fact that it is a reboot means that he is leaving all the spin offs be, rather than creating HIS sequel to HIS movie. So, he just reboots it and adds to the franchise. If it bombs, the franchise is no worse off than before.

Edit: Also, what Squiggly said. Listening to the Return of the Jedi commentary and this discussion reminds me of this quote:
"What? You think that people are going to watch this on some sort of video device and be able to go frame by frame?"

Another edit (no need for multiple posts-that would be ironic wink )

SF Debris did a review of the 1994 film, and I get the skepticism now. While I am not a huge Emmerich fan, I always welcome a different look at a franchise. So, the optimism, for me, remains smile

SF Debris link: http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/stargate.asp

Last edited by fireproof78 (2013-09-07 16:59:52)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

After like 6 or 7 episodes of watching them go around in the same little circle, I said screw it and stopped. And I never heard a single word from anywhere that said I should ever go back. So I didn't.

No argument here. SGU could be a very frustrating watch sometimes. I'm sure somewhere on the interwebs my many rants against the show are preserved for all time. But much like my relationship with Doctor Who, I couldn't quit SGU, so I'm one of the few who was still around when it got really good. Unfortunately, that's the same point at which Syfy started seriously dicking around with the schedule. They wanted to bump a show to make room for goddamned wrestling, of all things, so they decided to let Sanctuary stay put and give the kiss of death to SGU. The show had gotten so much better, but it's hard for word of mouth to spread when you don't know when to tell people to tune in. In any case, I was sad to see it go, especially as it seems all of the rest of the tv franchise related projects are dead in the water.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm a big fan of the Stargate movie, always have been. It's one of the few films that acknowledges the concept that there are in fact different languages and that realistically, if we travelled to another planet with humans there would be a language barrier.

It's also a really cool concept.  I love all the Stargates.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 12270.html

I am so happy right now.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9949/417300.jpg

Anybody watched this film? Obviously it is no "John Carter" but it is an Asylum film so it might balance out...?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Traci Lords? that's some interesting casting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110916195908/stargate/images/e/e2/Ra%27s_mask_retracts.gif

"The ruler of the known universe is that chick-with-the-dick from THE CRYING GAME?!" - Nostalgia Critic

From my limited sampling (n=3) I don't get the sense that Asylum has really pushed the T&A until their more recent work. PoM appears it could be part of that trend.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I own it and have watched it twice. It's easily pg13 at the most. It's also boring as hell. The reason i watched it twice was to confirm a couple of actor and set reuses from a couple of otber asylum films.

Nothing really funny/bad in there for the most part. Its just bad all around. Traci Lords is arguably the best actor in tne film as well, which says a lot.

Fuck typing on a tanlet, man...

Tanlet? Must be from the movie... wink

I was doing research on Mars in fiction, and this was one of the films that popped up, much to my surprise (I stopped watching SciFy channel about 4 years ago or so).

So, apparently it is being labeled under the file of Asylum and is not to be opened except in dire need wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, read an article  regarding Thor: Dark World today. I know the first Thor received a round of "Meh's" that echoes in the hills to this very day. While I personally enjoyed the film, I certainly can see the issues that have been brought up. Well, the sequel still centers in Asgard but with a much more mature Thor and more interesting villain, the Dark Elf, played by Christopher Eccelston.

So, I am warming up to this film, though slowly.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

the Dark Elf, played by Christopher Eccelston.

I'm in, I'm all the way in. So in.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It looks pretty interesting so far:
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/33503/Thor2ChristopherEcclesonDrWho.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rifftrax is the other guys.  smile 

Hodgson, Beaulieu, and Weinstein are the "original MST3K guys" and more recently the "Cinematic Titanic" guys.  They've been friends with Feig since Freaks and Geeks, probably longer.

I don't think it'll work. How do you make jokes about a comedy?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down