Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Don't worry. Once you write it, you'll find the exact idea in a dozen other books smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is a long quote from E.B. White about writing, but it is what inspires me to this day. I hope you find it helpful smile

(I put in bold the part that really sticks out to me)

You asked me about writing--how I did it. There is no trick to it. If you like to write and want to write, you write, no matter where you are or what else you are doing or whether anyone pays any heed. I must have written half a million words (mostly in my journal) before I had anything published, save for a couple of short items in St. Nicholas. If you want to write about feelings, about the end of summer, about growing, write about it. A great deal of writing is not "plotted"--most of my essays have no plot structure, they are a ramble in the woods, or a ramble in the basement of my mind. You ask, "Who cares?" Everybody cares. You say, "It's been written before." Everything has been written before.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, new flooring in the computer room so I can finally set up my computer and check FIYH... oh hell so many posts.

Hi again everyone!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

Okay, new flooring in the computer room so I can finally set up my computer and check FIYH... oh hell so many posts.

Hi again everyone!

Welcome back!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdrpjfGMVc1rkmjg2o1_500.gif
http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdrpjfGMVc1rkmjg2o2_500.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Warner Brothers, having all their big series end on them, apparently is going to try adapting Ann McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books. I'll be interested to see what they do with them, who they put in charge (Ronald Moore of Star Trek and Galactica fame was a day away from filming on a TV series when he pulled the plug over refusal to let the network turn it into a teen drama). I LOVE the first six or so books, but continuity is an unholy mess, the author's attempts to fix things not working imho. There is a lot to draw from, though, and if they can get the characters right...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

(Ronald Moore of Star Trek and Galactica fame was a day away from filming on a TV series when he pulled the plug over refusal to let the network turn it into a teen drama).

where can one find out more about that?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Oh, I wish I really knew. I found three or so production drawings someone in the forum here pointed me too, but I would love to find a script for the pilot or a series bible. Find out how exactly they were going to tackle it as an ongoing series (and if the gay issue was going to be addressed at all, as while it's hinted at in the books it's ignored apart from one couple in Dragonquest). However, we do know why the series died.

http://www.annemccaffreyfans.org/forum/ … php?t=2151

As quoted from Moore's bog:

The second encounter occurred years many years later after I had become an established writer and had been invited to participate on a panel at the Museum of Television and Radio in Beverly Hills along with several much bigger names, including J. Michael Straczynski and… Harlan Ellison. It was the first time I’d met the man and in all honesty, I was too embarrassed to say very much, to him lest I start to gush, so satisfied myself with a simple “Hello, I love your work” and then we went into the panel.

Now, this panel occurred at a very particular moment in my career. I was working on “Roswell” as an executive producer, but I was deep into preproduction on the ill-fated pilot I’d written for a series based on Anne McCaffrey’s “Dragonriders of Pern” books. It had been a difficult and unhappy development process, but we were only five days away from the first day of principal photography. A major problem had arisen, however. The network had commissioned another writer to rewrite my draft over my objections and in my opinion, had eviscerated everything that I loved about the project. I didn’t want to shoot that draft and they did. As I drove into the parking lot of the Museum I learned via a cell phone call from my agent that a critical conference call with the network was scheduled to take place the next morning which would determine the fate of the entire project, and when I took my seat on the panel I was frankly distracted by the thought that my very first pilot, my very fist shot at running my own series was in serious jeopardy of coming to ruin right before my very eyes unless I “played ball” as they like to say.

The panel discussion was fun and interesting and after a while I forget my Pern problems and simply enjoyed being on the same stage with some legendary figures of the genre. At the end, the final question was put to all of us was “Do you have any advice for young writers starting out?” It’s a familiar question, and to be honest, I have a stock response, (which I will someday bore readers of this blog with when I really need material) and I gave it in my usual inimitable fashion, congratulating myself on having held my own throughout the night.

But when the question came around to Harlan, he leaned forward into the microphone, and with all the passion and ferocity I remembered so well from that convention stage in Stony Brook he said:

“Don’t be a whore!”

The world quite literally spun around me under the hot lights and it felt as though the Universe was conveying a message directly to me. It was so simple. “Don’t be a whore!” Don’t write crap because they pay you well. Don’t put your name on something that you know will suck. Don’t sacrifice whatever integrity you have as a writer for a check.

The next day, during the infamous conference call, there came the point my agent had warned me would come, when I either played ball and went with the script I knew in my heart was terrible or my beloved pilot was going to die, and when that moment came, Harlan’s words rang in my ears like the church bells above Quasimodo’s head.

“Don’t be a whore!”

I wasn’t. The project died. And I have been grateful to Harlan Ellison ever since.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Uh, today I learned that Joel Silver is one of the co-inventors of Ultimate Frisbee.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I didn't want to put this in the cool vids thread, so this was next best alternative.

I really really want to believe that this is some exaggerated joke video...but I just... hmm.

Indeed.. what IF the chick was the crazy one?

If this guy actually exists I would like very much to punch him very hard in the face.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-09-09 02:22:36)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm pretty sure that's a comedy video making fun of how generic that trailer is.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

“Don’t be a whore!” Don’t write crap because they pay you well. Don’t put your name on something that you know will suck. Don’t sacrifice whatever integrity you have as a writer for a check.

Meh. 99.9999% of the world does stuff they don't like so they can get paid.

90% of stuff done by people who are trying not to suck still sucks. Nobody knows at the time which 10% is going to turn out well.

Joe Dante, Ron Howard, James Cameron, and Francis Ford Coppola never lost any sleep over how bad their early efforts under Roger Corman were. Commercial success buys plenty of opportunity to rehabilitate your artistic integrity.

Despite his devotion to artistic integrity, Harlan Ellison doesn't enjoy a sterling reputation.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-09-10 02:00:50)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

We have "whoring" to thank for the Sistine Chapel, many of Shakespeare's plays and nearly all of his sonnets, WIZARD OF OZ, GONE WITH THE WIND, and much of the work of Sidney Lumet. Oh, and all those Marvel movies the kids love so much.

IMO the difference between a hack and an artist isn't why you took the gig, it's whether you bring your A-game once you've got it.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

We have "whoring" to thank for the Sistine Chapel, many of Shakespeare's plays and nearly all of his sonnets, WIZARD OF OZ, GONE WITH THE WIND, and much of the work of Sidney Lumet. Oh, and all those Marvel movies the kids love so much.

IMO the difference between a hack and an artist isn't why you took the gig, it's whether you bring your A-game once you've got it.

This. Soderbergh makes movies for cash all the fucking time, and he's still one of the best directors working because he treats all material with the same level of creative effort.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Coppola only did Godfather I and II (and probably part III?) for the money smile

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Ditto Cameron with Terminator 2 (he needed a safe hit after The Abyss bombed), didn't stop him from bringing his A-game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
Invid wrote:

(Ronald Moore quoting Ellison)“Don’t be a whore!” Don’t write crap because they pay you well. Don’t put your name on something that you know will suck. Don’t sacrifice whatever integrity you have as a writer for a check.

Despite his devotion to artistic integrity, Harlan Ellison doesn't enjoy a sterling reputation.

He did save us from a bad adaptation of the Pern books, though, so that should count for something.

The point of the quote, as Moore seemed to understand it, is when you have choices, take the right one. Naturally, if doing a Corman or Asylum movie is going to be your big break, you take it. But if you don't HAVE to sell out to eat, don't. If you have integrity, try and keep it. (the key point of Moore's quote is "that you know will suck". Obviously, if you think you can do well with it, that's not the case)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
Invid wrote:

“Don’t be a whore!” Don’t write crap because they pay you well. Don’t put your name on something that you know will suck. Don’t sacrifice whatever integrity you have as a writer for a check.

Meh. 99.9999% of the world does stuff they don't like so they can get paid.

90% of stuff done by people who are trying not to suck still sucks. Nobody knows at the time which 10% is going to turn out well.

Joe Dante, Ron Howard, James Cameron, and Francis Ford Coppola never lost any sleep over how bad their early efforts under Roger Corman were. Commercial success buys plenty of opportunity to rehabilitate your artistic integrity.

Well part of any artwork is the aspect that some of it will suck, regardless of who is paying for what. You have your "Star Wars" and you have your "Damnation Alley" neither of which were expected to do what they did, as a quick off the cuff example.

I'm always amused by the idea that somehow if you are paid to do your art then it must suck. There is always the aspect of sponsorship, funding, and the like since, forever, really.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So Steven Soderbergh stripped Raiders of The Lost Ark of its colour and sound, and then added a weird soundtrack, so that people could watch it and only focus on how good the staging is. It looks fucking lovely, and no doubt I'll throw on the original soundtrack so I can enjoy it as an expertly made 50s black-and-white throwback.
Get it here, while it's still up!

Unless there's a "random talk about the podcast" thread that I've missed, I'll put this here:

Sometimes my mp3 player gets glitchy if I don't add files in a really specific way and it does weird stuff like mix up names and running times or plays half of something and finishes with half of something else. And sometimes the play speed bugs out and speeds up. In the latter case, it's done this a couple of times with WAYDM, when Eddie's been on the show. My first thought is always "why does this sound like four chipmunks and one normal guy?"

Herc wrote:

My first thought is always "why does this sound like four chipmunks and one normal guy?"

Eddie "Sexy Voice" Doty

ZangrethorDigital.ca

"Dear Star Trek Reboot: Please Pay Attention to Dr. McCoy, Now". McCoy has always been my favorite Trek character, so of course I'm intensely sympathetic to this. The fact that it's right doesn't hurt either. The relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy is vital to the series, and removing one third of that equation just doesn't work.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-11-25 16:06:31)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Been watching this a lot lately, decided to see if I could come up with a drinking game for it:
http://i.imgur.com/Sx3kpT9.jpg

Ouch. That one'll obliterate you.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

So, alcohol poisoning?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's really nice that the Indiana Jones films didn't just have one kind of god. Raiders/Crusade had the Christian (and by extension Muslim) God, Temple of Doom had gods (plural!) from Hinduism, and they had also written a script which they'd intended to film, but definitely didn't, in which aliens were real.

My only hope with the possible continuation of the Indy franchise is that they continue to validate different cultures' gods. I guess if they made a 4th film, that Egyptian gods would be a logical one. Or maybe something Austronesian. That would be nice smile