Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Herc wrote:

But I don't understand
a) how he managed to get the matte to follow his head while he moved smoothly around (it seems unlikely he could hold a position while they advanced to the next frame and changed the matte, and then resume a frame's worth of motion for the next frame), and
b) how he managed those moments where his hand passes in front of his missing head (where the matte would presumably be)

The heads that he physically handles are dummies. The part at :18 where he waves his arm in front of the head on the table, the arm is clearly painted in.

He had to stop the film to get the dummy heads put into his hands, so I'm guessing a black bag got put over his head at the same time, but there's also some optical dodging going on too. I suspect that the bag was too obvious most of the time, and he dodged that spot (waving a little piece of card on a wire in front of the projector to keep light from getting to that area of the print) when copying to the final master.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Thank you!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

You guys! Hey, you guys! They added Mind Game to Netflix instant. Also a bunch of other stuff:

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Popeye - Robin William's take on the cartoon.
Spanglish - Say what you want about Adam Sandler, but this is not that bad a flick and is actually kinda decent. He only occasionally falls into his usual schtick, mostly just playing a normal-ish person. Not groundbreaking or anything, but a nice little movie with more heart to it than most of Sandler's other junk. Mostly thanks to the daughter character and the woman who is sorta the 'main' character.
Timelapse - Friends find a machine that takes photos of the future and they try to use it to their advantage. And then the obvious happens with the plot. It's an OK flick.
Private Parts
Area 51 - The new Oren Peli film. You know, the guy who made that Paranormal Activity film. That classic.
Monster Squad
Sleepy Hollow
Big Fish
Masters Of The Universe

The Weatherman - Slower paced film, but quite good. One of those rare films where Nic Cage reminds you that he can actually act.
Up In The Air
Insomnia
Dear White People
Monster Squad

But the most important one is Mind Game.

It's an animated flick about an introverted guy who's trying to work up the nerve to ask this long-time crush of his out, but before he can work up the nerve some very very bad things happen to him. Eventually the film becomes absolute weirdness and over-the-top chaos, but there's a story about unrequited loves in there somewhere. I highly recommend it as one of the more interesting bat-shit-crazy films I've ever seen. It's got some neat visuals as well, and they mix different styles together in several sequences. It's very odd and watchable.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2015-09-06 00:10:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Life Itself is on Netflix now. (In the U.S., at least.) The Ebert doc.

Just watched it for the first time, even though I think I actually backed it back during production. Really enjoyable movie.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, in Jaws: The Revenge, Michael Caine's character is a drug-runner. Not much of this is left in the final movie, but it is there. Anyway, at the end, when he lands his plane in the water, they should have had the shark attack the plane so he loses his "cargo". Seeing it disappear into the ocean, he would have shouted "MY COCAINE!!!" which would just sound like Michael Caine shouting his own name.

And then could have winked at the camera, 'cause the rest of this movie spends 90 minutes saying "fuck it", so why not.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

That really would just reawaken the ridiculous notion that Mark Hamill shouts "Carrie!" near the end of Star Wars.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a common misconception that Hamill shouts "Carrie" instead of "Leia". What a ridiculous idea. Who really believes this? It's appalling.

No, actually Hamill shouts "Harry!" in reference to Harrison Ford. He was pretty drunk that day.

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I knew he was drunk, but I thought he was drunker, and shouted "ferry," because he thought he saw a boat.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Teague, that's ridiculous. "Ferry"?? Pft.

I'm pretty sure he was drunk on wine, and shouted "sherry" because it's what he wanted more of.

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-09-22 14:52:47)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Nah, I'm pretty sure he shouted "Parry!" because he was having a drunken flashback to the Death Star and was trying to tell Ben to save himself.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I watched Demolition Man on the weekend. Today, this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/yQeZ4J3.jpg

That's just great...

wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

PopCorn Garage

That's the coolest thing I've seen on the web recently. There's a picture of a garage interior, find the 66 movie references. Exact movie titles, 3 mistakes and you're done.

EDIT: lost at 44. Eh.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-10-09 21:35:28)

Sébastien Fraud
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I lost at 45.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What's the fucking dog in a body-cast from? I didn't want to guess because I was down to one error.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I dunno, but I keep losing points because of the ghost kid on the top left shelf. I'm not crazy, that's Casper, right?

EDIT: lost at 47 this time.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-10-10 07:43:30)

Sébastien Fraud

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

What's the fucking dog in a body-cast from? I didn't want to guess because I was down to one error.

Show
There's Something About Mary

And 43

Last edited by Sam F (2015-10-10 07:23:28)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha, I failed at 22. I put Castaway instead of Cast Away, and I also assumed the plastic bag (?) was an American Beauty reference. Forgot what my 3rd mistake was though.

I thought the plastic thing in the foreground was Bateman's blood-soaked raincoat from American Psycho. Eh.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-10-10 10:55:51)

Sébastien Fraud

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:

Ha, I failed at 22. I put Castaway instead of Cast Away, and I also assumed the plastic bag (?) was an American Beauty reference. Forgot what my 3rd mistake was though.

I did the same!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I thought American Beauty and Casper.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Me too on Casper! I also thought the thing on the wall was Zoolander and above that was Blues Brothers. Though both these turn up as errors. What's the yellow thing on the left side next to the wall? And the masked guy, is he supposed to from something?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you mean the guy in the middle of the picture, that's The Gimp from Pulp Fiction!

I think the Casper mask is the most obscure reference... seems like every other movie is pop-culture enough that people would have at least heard of them.    But that one is a toughie. 

Unless

SPOILER Show
A Perfect World
is a lot more well-known than I thought?