Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Nah, that's an obscure one (Costner & Dern, right?). I saw it 'cause my mum rented it on VHS in the 90s, and I've never seen it appear on tv, or dvd, or netflix, or on anyone's list of anything. Good catch!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:

If you mean the guy in the middle of the picture, that's The Gimp from Pulp Fiction!

FUCK. I THOUGHT IT WAS THE GIMP AND I WAS TOO SCARED TO GUESS.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I got 43. Technically 48, but three of those I saw the answer here before I tried the quiz and two others I straight up cheated. There were several of these movies I never would've guessed, but I somehow figured out

Show
Kill Bill
even though I hated that movie. Also, there were at least four that I couldn't figure out just because my computer screen is too small to see them clearly.  tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I made the same mistake. 51

Saniss wrote:

I dunno, but I keep losing points because of the ghost kid on the top left shelf. I'm not crazy, that's Casper, right?

EDIT: lost at 47 this time.

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

Also, there were at least four that I couldn't figure out just because my computer screen is too small to see them clearly.  tongue

I can all but guarantee that one of them was O Brother, Where Art Thou? wasn't it? tongue

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:
Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

Also, there were at least four that I couldn't figure out just because my computer screen is too small to see them clearly.  tongue

I can all but guarantee that one of them was O Brother, Where Art Thou? wasn't it? tongue

Dapper Dan pomade can, lower left.

I got 51, but only after messing up by trying to enlarge the picture so I could see the damn thing and accidentally getting 2 extra strikes. It's the horror stuff that I find most frustrating. I recognize them, but there's no way I know what movie they go to.

Also, did I spell The Crow wrong or something? I got the other one but there's still one crow left, right? Maybe it's one of the other black bird movies.

Other stuff I couldn't get Show

Can't believe I didn't go with my gut on the poster labeled "singe". I REMEMBER THAT EDDIE IZZARD BIT EVEN.

Also, now that I take another close look, the posters I thought were Hitman or Adjustment Bureau are surely CMIYC, a much more popular movie.

Also, really wanted to guess "DC Cab" for the yellow door, but no way, right?

• Dark smiley

• Mask on wall near it

• Circular design on wall above it (oh: man w arms outstretched--another horror movie)

• Wrapped guitar

• Garden gnome

• Floating spores

• Fire extinguisher

• Dark thing in the middle of the floor (shit, that's a spinning top, isn't it? Damn you, Leo!)

• White thing between Dapper Dan can and soap

• Yellow and black medallion or ball (horror thing, right?)

• White snake above it

• Casper mask (Trey's probably right)

• Black thing above eye (maybe that's just a bowler hat to go with the eye)

• Something under the car between the hand and the robot?

• "Shocker" sticker above it, which I assume is a reference to a teen sex comedy and not Shocker

• Something on the window of the Delorean?

• Something around the neck of the dog in the cast?

Last edited by Zarban (2015-10-13 04:56:21)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Cheat facilitator:
http://www.zarban.com/pics/movie-cheat.jpg

Zarban wrote:

Also, did I spell The Crow wrong or something? I got the other one but there's still one crow left, right? Maybe it's one of the other black bird movies.

Show
The Birds  smile

Zarban, some answers:

Show
Floating spores : Avatar
Yellow and black medallion or ball (horror thing, right?): Nope, that's the Neverending Story smile
Black thing above eye (maybe that's just a bowler hat to go with the eye): If you're talking about the post on the left wall after Casper's head, that's A Clockwork Orange

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:
Zarban wrote:

Show
The Birds  smile

I got that one first, but it only applies to the two birds on the left. There's still one bird on the right, so I tried The Crow and got it wrong. Maybe it's The Raven.

Show
I got that one first, but it only applies to the two birds on the left. There's still one bird on the right, so I tried The Crow and got it wrong. Maybe it's The Raven. Probably not Maltese Falcon.

Last edited by Zarban (2015-10-11 20:21:09)

Zarban wrote:
Herc wrote:
Zarban wrote:

Show
The Birds  smile

I got that one first, but it only applies to the two birds on the left. There's still one bird on the right, so I tried The Crow and got it wrong. Maybe it's The Raven.

Show
I got that one first, but it only applies to the two birds on the left. There's still one bird on the right, so I tried The Crow and got it wrong. Maybe it's The Raven. Probably not Maltese Falcon.

There seems to be a lot of detail in the picture acting as a bit of deliberate misdirection. So there's stuff that looks like it must be significant that's just there to throw you off. Also, like for the car, the dot will only cover one part of a larger clue; once you've got part of it, the whole thing is counted and the three birds together make up one clue.

Herc wrote:
Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

Yes. That one was SO frustrating! I couldn't read it at all, and for some reason it never occurred to me to zoom the picture.

Show
The clue for Willow was also a bummer. It felt kinda cheap for them to have it wedged into the wall on its side when most of the other items were just laying on the floor.

I guess the Casper mask movie was much, much more popular in France than it was in the States?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So there's a Powers series on Playstation Plus. They have the first episode on youtube. I just watched it.

It's kinda "meh". The tone feels close to the book, but it's lacking a lot of the humor the book had. There's exposition up the wazoo. Every scene is just people explaining shit to other people. The world is fucked up and wrong. The cops just spend the whole time explaining powers culture and wanabes and the weird shit kids do to try to get powers. They spent this episode not even trying to solve a murder. Christian Walker's character is played like a stone cold super-cool gruff-voiced asshole, and in the book he's kindof a schmuck who has an current of strong emotions bubbling under the surface. He keeps cereal in his desk and doesn't 'get' dirty jokes and has a hard time with sarcasm.

Deena, on the other hand, is played in the series like she's a... fucking I don't even know. She's just flat. In the book she's the one who's willing to break rules. She's really the smarter one of the two in the book, and she's way better at the social engineering shit. She's also really willing to just jump into a mess and start fucking people up. She will beat the shit out of a suspect to get info. Her and Walker keep each other in check throughout the series.

In this show, tho, they are just not at all that pair, and I don't know what dynamic they're going for. Deena takes shit from people (something she would not fucking do in the book), and Walker's the angsty fuckwad who keeps wishing he had powers again. In the book he's fucking over that shit. I just don't... I don't know what they're doing with this show. It's not just that it's different, it's that the characters are shitty and have no character. They just explain shit to each other. I wouldn't mind if they were different if they were SOMETHING. First episode, tho, so maybe they haven't figured out how to write them yet, I dunno. It took 'em until the second story arc before they got a handle on them in the books...

But man, it was frustrating to watch it. They had all of these characters from the books, but they're all doing totally different shit. They're starting the series out on one of the story arcs that is like 3 or 4 arcs in and trying to combine like four cases into one season of the show or something. They've got The Wolf / Walker shit from the Z arc, they've got the drug-powers shit from the arc where Deena becomes a powers junkie and loses her shit, they've got a teenaged Callista being fucking saved by Retro Girl (who is fucking alive for fuck's sake), they've got Zora set up like she's some kind of fucking Draco Malfoy Powers pureblood douchebag for some reason, Johnny Royale is doing some weird assassination bullshit with Sway (the powers drug) and apparently everyone thinks he's dead for some reason, they're doing the Olympus case without the benefit of three series of books explaining all of the relationships that Walker had with these people so Walker's reaction to one of his best friends dying is like "oh... darn...", and they don't have fucking drainers, which just seems like a massive fucking flaw, given how Walker supposedly lost his fucking powers in the first place - which they've fucking changed in the series to make Wolf more of a villain I guess?

I mean, sweet jesus, why even bother basing the show on the book at all? They've literally changed just about every god damned thing you could possible change. If the names of the characters were different, I would think this was just some kind of coincidentally similar series that had nothing to do with the book. I get that you have to change some shit, but the show comes off like a mess because they changed everything, so they have to sit there and explain everything the whole time because they've got like three seasons worth of exposition to get through so that you know what the fuck is going on with all of this shit they're trying to do.

EXAMPLE:

A scene where Callista is being interrogated after being a witness to Olympus' death. Walker casually explains to Deena before she goes into the room that wannabe powers will suck off someone with powers in order to temporarily get some powers or weird effects. Apparently, Callista is going around sucking off powers to get some powers (!?). Now this is a fucking HUGE divergence from the books, but it's just done without any sort of grace at all.

The better version of that scene would have them go into the room and then ask Callista some basic questions about the situation. Relationship to Olympus, why she was there, then have Callista explain why she wanted to fuck Olympus (and please, let it be any kind of fluid transfer, not just blowing... that's such a shallow alteration). THEN you have Walker quip about it or whatever. Then you continue on the interview and you end the scene with Callista just leaving. Then after Deena and Walker are on their way to the coroner to see if there's a cause of death, you have Deena crack a joke about Walker's possible past interactions with his female fans and if any of them got powers, and have him be irritated by that or whatever.

CHARACTER SHIT! Not just explaining stuff. Fuck. It makes me wonder if Bendis is involved in any way in the writing, or if he's even able to read the scripts. He writes fucking great dialogue and banter, and this is so not his banter. They took a few lines from the books and tossed them in there, but they fucked those up as well.

It's really just god awful. I'll have to watch a few more episodes before I totally write it off. They got a couple of really good actors in it, so there's potential in there, but it needs better writing.

So depressing. I've been wanting A Powers series or film or something for ages, and they went and screwed the pooch on it. Sucks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The trailer was enough for me to nope out of this one. Looks like I've made the right call.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So there's a guy protesting the BBFC ratings board (basically the UK equivalent of the MPAA ratings board) by kickstarting a fee for submitting a film to be rated by them. They are required to watch - in its entirety - any film that they've been paid to rate. The guy's going to make a film of whatever length he ends up being able to fund a submission fee for. The film will be called "Paint Drying", and will be a single, unbroken shot of a brick wall with wet white paint on it drying.

So far he can afford to send them a film of just shy of ten hours in length. The board has already confirmed that they will accept whatever he submits and watch the film.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Watched the first episode of Powers, and couldn't stand it. Too much exposition, too bad acting, and the VFX were pretty damn bad.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Anyone seen the trailer for Moonwalkers?

Is it OK if I'm really mad about it? Cause I'm really mad about it.

The poster's tag line is "Based on a true conspiracy theory." I have no problem with that. That's a joke. It's funny. The film's trailer, tho, calls it "The true story of how we never landed on the moon." That really fucking pisses me off. Smart people will understand that it's supposed to be like a sarcastic joke or something, but 1) Sarcasm doesn't work well in writing and 2) the vast majority of people - in the US at least - are very very stupid. It is annoying that they would try to market the film that way. I don't know if they're giving their audience too much credit, or if they are genuinely trying to market the film to stupid people as though it's based on a true story.

Maybe unfounded anger on my part, but I'm already pissed off about my day of work, and this trailer has set me off tongue

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2015-11-25 00:08:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lucy pissed me off with the "We only use 10% of our brains" starting line. So I'm right there with you tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Agreed. The 10% myth is getting old

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Was the movie any good though?

As a psych major, the "10%" myth is one of the few that rolls off my back now. I know it isn't true, and I am not going to waste worrying over it.

Also, I wouldn't mind having Trey's take on it. I personally am kind of done with the "didn't land on the moon" conspiracy theory but it seems to be gaining ground.  hmm

Last edited by fireproof78 (2015-11-25 08:32:06)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@Fireproof, the movie had such potential but just floundered. Some striking visuals and really cool moments stirred into a whole bunch of mediocre/disappointing/etc. Not anything to do with ScarJo, though, she was fantastic as always.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks. I still might check it out smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Anyone seen the trailer for Moonwalkers?

There was a spec script doing the rounds a few years back that got some buzz on the blacklist called 1969: A Space Odyssey with a similar concept except it's the real Kubrick.

shame that this doesn't look half as good

Extended Edition - 136 Star Trek: Discovery
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I just went through the first four episodes of Netflix's Jessica Jones, and it's not only great, but it's a great comparison piece for the Powers series. Same author. Similar mystery / noir sort of story. Similar tone, though Powers veers a bit more toward humor as far as the books go. Where the Powers show was a botch job, Jessica Jones fuckin nails it. The writing is great. Lots of character stuff, not so much exposition. Lots of inferred and implied information.

I'm gonna hate myself for watching so much of it all at once instead of being productive, but it's a damned good show, and if you're mildly interested in watching a superhero TV show that actually has very little to do with superheroes and has good atmosphere, check it out. If you've read the books, the show is very much different, but the core of the major characters is the same. This is like three different book series sorta smooshed together and they take elements of all of them kinda evenly, including mixing the storylines together in a big stew and then adding totally new shit, but it's done in such a way that it doesn't even matter how different it is. It's actually more exciting, cause I don't know what's gonna happen.

Very different from the books, but feels pretty damned solid and they nailed the tone and characters. Very much looking forward to more of it.

EDIT:

Finished the season. Damned good. Very inventive and went to some really weird places. Good cast of characters. I liked it a lot. Can't wait for them to make some more episodes.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2015-11-29 05:19:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know I've talked about this before somewhere on here, but there's this Christmas movie called "One Magic Christmas" that's on TV right at this very moment. It's like a tradition at our house for some strange reason. Not many people seem to remember it, but it's on TV every year. I love it.

At its core it's your typical movie about a grouchy person who realizes that christmas is a happy time to be shared with family and friends and spreading joy and all of that jazz. Thing is, the way she is taught this is by having her family murdered by a broke, desperate guy who needs money and just snaps. It's probably the darkest christmas movie I'm aware of. The first two acts of the film are spent watching terrible things happen to this family and then watching her family get killed and then watching her just completely break down. It's not all depressing, as her kids get 'saved' by this angel really shortly after they're killed, but you spend a few minutes with her while she's just sitting there in her empty house crying in the bathroom. It's a depressing flick.

But then it gets better. She gets her christmas spirit and the angel dude rewinds time to before all the really terrible shit went down and she ends up helping the broke, desperate guy before he snaps and she ends up happy and all that. It's corny, but it's my favorite christmas movie. But almost none of why I love it has to do with the story. It's mostly the setting.

It's an 80s flick, but it's not one of those movies where everything is hyper-80s. It's 'normal' 80s. No one's got a mohawk. No one's wearing crazy clothes with weird colorful patterns and crazy hairstyles and shit like that. It's more realistic. People look the way people actually looked in the 80s. Driving crappy, beat-up cars. Living in a town undergoing a transition from the old 'downtown' to the new 'downtown', where the old downtown was a grid of smaller blocks with storefronts, but there are new chain stores in a more spread-out area that are killing the old town's small businesses. There's this shift of industry and economic focus that is captured in the film's depiction of the recession. They didn't intend it, I'm sure, but it's there in the movie. The film's setting is a small town in transition and facing a stalled economy.

And the thing is, everything in the movie is nasty and dirty and real. There's a grit to all of it that you'd think wouldn't apply to what is essentially a family film. There's piles of shoveled snow on the sides of the road, and they all have that lower layer of sprayed nasty slush that was a mix of snow and ice and water and dirt and oil and filth. The roads - when you can see the roads - are all old and weathered with telltale black tar lines to repair cracks and visible potholes. The lights on the houses aren't all neat and perfectly done. They're just wrapped around the front porch railings and sorta thrown on the trees. Hastily adorned rings of blinky lights around the windows. The cars are old. A lot of them have the rusty accents on the bottoms from the street salt. Their paint is weathered, scratched and chipped. Their windows are sometimes kinda dirty, and occasionally cracked. They're missing a hubcap here and there.

In contrast to a lot of today's films, One Magic Christmas feels a lot more gritty. They tend to try to hide that sort of stuff today. Even when things aren't clean and tidy, they tend to try to shoot them in a flattering way, with shallow focus and dynamic, mood-setting lighting and with the streets having that perfect amount of dampness to really get those nice little twinkling highlights. Clothes are all neat and shirts are tucked in and no one has stains or little holes or frayed collars or anything. Not unless that's part of their character. But in a lot of the less-genre less-teen-oriented films of the 80s, contemporary settings tended to have none of that perfect cleanness to them. They all feel super gritty by today's standards.

The 70s were the same way. You can see the trend toward hyper-reality toward the late 80s, but budget constraints prevented them from taking it too far. By the late 90s, tho, movies started having this very planned-out grittiness that doesn't feel as real to me. I dunno if it makes sense or not. But if I look around my real world and compare it to films of today, the films don't feel very real at all. You don't see people in movies shopping at those strip mall things where there's like a Target and a Dollar Store and a Bed Bath and Beyond and a random party store and a Panera bread and a Starbuck's. You don't see people driving past the 'bad' sections of town where the gas stations are kinda run down looking and there's trash and bottles kinda strewn about and the telephone poles are a little crooked and maybe a small little strip where there were five little businesses but only two of them are still open. You don't see fast food places and gas stations lining the roads.

Even the little indie flicks don't do this. It bothers me a lot. Everything is set in Chicago or NY or LA or Miami or something. One Magic Christmas is - I think - set in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I think. I don't know if they mention it. Either Tulsa or one of the smaller towns outside of it or near it. Maybe. I dunno. I know I don't live in Chicago or NY or LA. I live in a regular, plain city with an old downtown and a new downtown and sections that look fantastic and well-manicured and clean and sections that look run down and falling apart. There's cracks in the roads, construction occasionally, and things aren't always neat and perfect all the time.

I've been watching a lot of 70s and 80s movies lately, and I'm getting into the 90s and starting to notice that things that would be common in a 70s or 80s version of a scene are not present in a 90s version of the scene. Car chases don't have that scene where they drive through some road-work people or that shot where they make a turn and the hubcap comes flying off. When was the last time you saw a movie that had a run-down section of town on display, AND also had bums and homeless people hanging out behind a gas station or something? Was there graffiti back there as well? When was the last time you saw someone driving a junker with bad paint that looked like it had been in a couple of fender benders before the movie started? And I'm talking in a MAJOR film. In a big movie, not just in some low budget movie where that's all they could afford to use.

Shit bothers me. It's starting to distract me at the theater now. It's weird.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2015-12-25 17:59:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has anyone bothered to see "Gods of Egypt?" I love me some good Egyptian mythological world building (thank you Stargate) but I don't know if I can sit through that. It sounds like a crazy project.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down