Re: What are you reading?

Spin is fantastic. I'd skip the sequels. For similar stuff, if you like short stories, Night Shade Books' annual The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, edited by Jonathan Strahan, has something for everybody, including lots of stories similar in tone to Spin. Volumes 3 and 6 have been the best so far, but I haven't read 7 yet as it isn't released until this Tuesday. I've been looking forward to it all year. big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, a recommendation for you, Teague--Info-bloody-quake. Read it, you'll thank me (I hope).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Spin is fantastic. I'd skip the sequels.

See, I didn't even know there were sequels before you mentioned them, but now that I do know, I have to read them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hansen wrote:
Darth Praxus wrote:

Spin is fantastic. I'd skip the sequels.

See, I didn't even know there were sequels before you mentioned them, but now that I do know, I have to read them.

I fear I have condemned you to a terrible fate. tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Making my way through some more Vonnegut with Breakfast of Champions. Haven't read much of it, but what I've read I've enjoyed. Has the same style of writing you'd expect from Vonnegut

Also reading A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Really good book, full of tragedy but also full of humour and the author is really good at getting you attached to the characters.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just finished Serling: The Rise and Twilight of TV's Last Angry Man.  Interesting book...i wished it'd focused more on the Twilight Zone years, but it was more of a straight ahead biography.  He wrote 92 of the 156 episodes of that show...unreal.  the dude was a machine.  smoked 4 packs a day...also unreal. 

Rod Serling, Gary Larson, and Bill Watterson pretty much shaped me into the odd person that i've turned into.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Shackman wrote:

Just finished Serling: The Rise and Twilight of TV's Last Angry Man.  Interesting book...i wished it'd focused more on the Twilight Zone years, but it was more of a straight ahead biography.  He wrote 92 of the 156 episodes of that show...unreal.  the dude was a machine.  smoked 4 packs a day...also unreal. 

Rod Serling, Gary Larson, and Bill Watterson pretty much shaped me into the odd person that i've turned into.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4981938432/hF678A250/

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re-reading Blade of the Immortal, which is actually a manga with pictures and stuff, cuz I can't read. Seriously though, I read all day for my job (I'm a copyeditor by trade) so these last 5 years or so I find it a struggle to pick up and read a book. Which is actually more of a shame than you might think, because I love to read.

Blade of the Immortal, for what it's worth, is one of the finest comics you'll ever read and is a sprawling epic about an immortal ronin with, and this is the shocker, blades (yes, more than one!). So really the title is misleading. Why is it so great? Because the dialogue's poignant and funny, one moment it's ghastly dark and the next it's just really romantic, there's a fair amount of action, and the artwork is stunning in that it's very well staged and you can clearly see emotions on characters' faces, you can see what they're thinking. I bet if you read in its original Japanese, you could understand the gist of what was going on. In my experience, 99% of comic artists cannot draw expressions that go beyond 'I'm angry' or 'I'm attacking', which are usually drawn the same, and neutral.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just finished It, the final King novel I'll be reading until Doctor Sleep comes out. Wow. Just...WOW. I believe it's the best thing he ever wrote. Yes, the ending was a bit anticlimactic, and

Show
Beverly having sex with all six guys as kids was completely unnecessary and rather gross
, but the preceding 1,000 pages of King doing what he does best, dealing with the loss of childhood innocence and loved ones, is utterly astonishing. It's so emotionally powerful, by turns hilarious and tragic, and the first 150 pages alone are a textbook example of how to build unbearable amounts of dread in the reader. I think it's my new second-favorite book (Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes will always be first).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been reading a ton of books since January, the most of which have been the Scott Harvath series by Brad Thor, and the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn.  They're both essentially world espionage thriller books.  A ton of fun, very addictive, and occasionally so badass you find yourself laughing at the insanity.

I also read a few Michael Crichton books which I was surprised I didn't like as much as I though I would.   

As per the release of the Ender's Game movie, I went and read the first 3 of the books from the Ender's quartet.  Ender's Game was just brilliant.  I can't even explain.  The first sequel, Speaker for the Dead, was a very interesting intellectual read.  However, the third one,  Xenocide, started to really go to s$#* so I stopped reading the series lol. 

The creme de la creme, though, was reading two of the Bob Lee Swagger novels by Stephen Hunter, of which, Point of Impact was the basis for the movie Shooter.    Damn...damn, if you want to read a well written, funny, intense, and expertly clever book, read one of those novels.

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_If%3F_(essays)

Right now I'm reading What If? - it's a bunch of historians BSing alternative outcomes to major moments in military history. It's what you do with friends after a few beers. Only here the friends are foremost historians.

I avoid speculative non-fiction. But eh. This one is fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iJim wrote:

Right now I'm reading What If? - it's a bunch of historians BSing alternative outcomes to major moments in military history. It's what you do with friends after a few beers. Only here the friends are foremost historians.

I have that one. The hardcover is like a foot thick so it's a bit daunting. Been meaning to check it out though.

I'm still reading The Eye of the World, but I finished This Book is Full of Spiders. It was fine, meandering about as much as as John Dies at the End but, to me, less entertaining. JDATE lacked any kind of real narrative arc, and being just a collection of episodes in the characters' lives that was perfectly fine. TBIFOS, though, is a story about one event from beginning to end, and as such I would've liked it if there was more of a, you know, point.

I also read Sick Little Monkeys: The Unauthorized Ren & Stimpy Story, which got into the genesis, rise, and fall of the cartoon that was a big part of my childhood, and has arguably influenced animation (mostly for the better) moving forward. Pretty cool information, including some info about the development behind certain episodes. The author is not afraid to share his opinion on animation in general and Ren & Stimpy in particular, nor to declare most of it (including a number of episodes of R&S) complete garbage. I would've preferred maybe a more clinical tone, but whatever. There are also a number of occasions where he uses a word that looks like the one he wants to use but isn't, like he wrote the book on an iPhone and got autocorrected here and there. The editor seems to have been a bit asleep on the job, but again whatever. You can still make sense of the narrative just fine.

Currently listening to True Grit, a bit over halfway through (it's a short book -- 6 hours audio unabridged). I haven't seen the John Wayne version, but the Coens nailed it. I am still planning to go over to 11/22/63 next, and possibly Under the Dome after that, just out of curiosity.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I'm still reading The Eye of the World

Get out while you still can.

Dorkman wrote:

Currently listening to True Grit, a bit over halfway through (it's a short book -- 6 hours audio unabridged). I haven't seen the John Wayne version, but the Coens nailed it. I am still planning to go over to 11/22/63 next, and possibly Under the Dome after that, just out of curiosity.

True Grit is one of the few books whose film counterpart I liked better. I'd rank them #3. Wayne movie #2. Novel #1. The Coens movie (which you guys should totally do a commentary for, BTW). 11/22/63 is great, not least because King was forced to outline the whole thing beforehand due to the nature of the story and thus avoided his usual problem of the ending going completely to hell. Under the Dome

Show
doesn't avoid this problem
but is still lots of fun (and the first King novel I ever read).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iJim wrote:

Right now I'm reading What If? - it's a bunch of historians BSing alternative outcomes to major moments in military history.

This sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

iJim wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_If%3F_(essays)

I avoid speculative non-fiction. But eh. This one is fun.

I read that. Good fun.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

In March I read Christine (King) and the first three Easy Rawlins books by Walter Mosley.

I didn't love Christine. It wasn't bad, but it sort of had the feel of King just going through the motions and writing exactly the kind of book he's expected to write. Never helps that I have no love for cars and car culture of course. Maybe I'm just starting to feel some King fatique, I don't know...

I had to read the third Easy Rawlings book for a Crime Fiction class I'm taking this semester, but I didn't want to jump into a series on the third book, so I decided to audiobook the first two. I liked them okay and will probably look into some more of those books eventually.

Currently reading Red Dust (Gillian Slovo) and Harlan Ellison's Watching.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mary Roach's new book is out!

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal

/downloading right now

Trey...sell me on Mary Roach in one sentence. Never heard of her, curious what gets you this excited.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Isn't she the author of "Bonk: The curious coupling of science and sex"?
Yep, she is. She is a fun author. Here, BDA: http://www.maryroach.net/

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finished up 2012 by reading LOTR for the millionth time.

Just finished House of Leaves not too long ago. Pretty cool concept and well-executed.

Before that was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Amazing, to be honest, but I'm a sucker for King. I just finished his Nightmares and Dreamscapes collection of short stories. Not so awesome but there were a few gems.

Last week I burned through The War of Art by Steven Pressfield (twice). If you consider yourself an artist, read it. No question. It's brilliant (minus a bit of esotericism that crops up during the latter third of the book).

Now I'm reading an amazing book on Coltrane. I'm too lazy to go pick it up and look at the author's name, but it's cool because it's both a biography and a musical analysis.

Just finished Gulp. Thumbs up. I love Mary Roach. That woman is my crutch at cocktail parties.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gulp is now officially on my reading list. Thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just finished 11/22/63. Really enjoyed it, thanks to everyone for encouraging me to give it a chance. According to King's afterword (on the audiobook at least), the reason the ending was actually good is because his son, Joe Hill, came up with it. Speaking of, the audiobook is quite well done. Craig Wasson does a very good job of keeping consistent voices for each of the characters, and has a surprising range. It's also a performance, not just a narration, really enhancing the emotions of the story. It's laid on a little thick in a few places - at one point his voice gets so full of grief and horror it's a little hard to quite understand - but only a few. Recommend both the book and the audio recording.

I'll be getting around to reading Under the Dome soon. I don't really want to, if I'm honest, but it looks like I'll be working on the show, so I should be familiar with the material. But I try not to read the same author back to back or their writing voice will start to unduly influence my own, so I'm cleansing my palate listening to a book Trey recommended, Larry Niven's Footfall.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've just finished The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway. It's very character based without much actual plot similar to films in the style of American Graffiti that leave me going "I liked that but I don't know why..."

It follows the character of Jake Barnes, an american journalist living in Paris in the mid 1920's and his relationship with Lady Brett Ashley a promiscuous english lady whose feelings for him are genuine knows they can not be happy together because of a vaguely described war injury means he can't have sex.

The book seems to follow a pattern of them going out and having a big meal then getting terrible drunk.

Hemingway writes about nothing in particular in great detail with as few words as possible in such a way as to be far more readable then it deserves to be and the characters subtly as the story moves to spain for the running of the bulls.

As the book was written in the twenties there were a few times where I tried to figure out a turn of phrase but not nearly as much as you'd expect in fact in a lot of ways it all feels rather modern.

I am rather curious about the movie that was made in the fifties as i'm not sure how the small amount of plot would lend itself to screen.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

I've just finished The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway. It's very character based without much actual plot similar to films in the style of American Graffiti that leave me going "I liked that but I don't know why..."

It follows the character of Jake Barnes, an american journalist living in Paris in the mid 1920's and his relationship with Lady Brett Ashley a promiscuous english lady whose feelings for him are genuine knows they can not be happy together because of a vaguely described war injury means he can't have sex.

The book seems to follow a pattern of them going out and having a big meal then getting terrible drunk.

Hemingway writes about nothing in particular in great detail with as few words as possible in such a way as to be far more readable then it deserves to be and the characters subtly as the story moves to spain for the running of the bulls.

As the book was written in the twenties there were a few times where I tried to figure out a turn of phrase but not nearly as much as you'd expect in fact in a lot of ways it all feels rather modern.

I am rather curious about the movie that was made in the fifties as i'm not sure how the small amount of plot would lend itself to screen.

I've never liked Hemingway. Rises wasn't bad, exactly, but I just found myself asking, "What's the point of all this?" And The Old Man and the Sea should not have won the Nobel Prize. It was like self-parody; Hemingway's always kinda brief, but the sentences in that book were ludicrously simple.

Thumbs up Thumbs down