Re: What are you reading?

Old Man and the Sea didn't do anything for me and I know what you mean about nothing really happening in 'Sun' but I found the narrators character engaging enough not to find it a problem, You milage may vary smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

Old Man and the Sea didn't do anything for me and I know what you mean about nothing really happening in 'Sun' but I found the narrators character engaging enough not to find it a problem, You milage may vary smile

Yeah, I can understand that (I'm pretty okay with On the Road, and it has the same problem).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Over the last month I've read:

Red Dust - Gillian Slovo

Don't have much to say about this. read it for class and thought it was okay, I guess.

Knots and Crosses - Ian Rankin
Hide and Seek - Ian Rankin
Tooth and Nail - Ian Rankin
Strip Jack - Ian Rankin
The Black Book - Ian Rankin

These are all part of the Inspector Rebus series. I had to read The Black Book for class and since I'm apparently crazy, I felt I had to read the preceding four books in the series first. While I would say they do get progressively better from one book to the next, none of them really impressed me in any way. They suffer from 'small world' syndrome and each novel ends up feeling too neat and convenient and they're fairly repetetive to boot.

God, No! - Penn Jillette
Every Day is an Atheist Holiday - Penn Jillette

Despite having heard most of this content in some form or another before between Penn's radio show and the podcast, I still enjoyed them quite a bit. I listened to them on audiobook and while I don't always see fully eye to eye with Penn, I do find him compelling to listen to.

Starting Old Man's War today and planning on reading Pet Sematary after it.

Last edited by Hansen (2013-05-02 19:50:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Reamde - I decided to pick this up based on Teague's recommendation from the Berks episode. The exposition takes a little while, but after that...god damn. Very intense, fast paced writing. Definitely good stuff.

Game of Thrones - It has taken me over a year to get through this book. It's not that it's bad written, but the show has done an exquisite job adapting the material to the point where it's basically interchangeable. And, to be honest, I found the books a little boring (and I absolutely love LOTR, I read that shit every year.) I don't think I'll continue with reading the series. The show is good enough for me.

I'm planning on reading  11/22/63 and Already Dead next.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

While not currently reading anything (besides school books and articles) I did read an article in SW Insider that a new book about their storyboards will be released soon. I am very excited for that smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just re-read The Great Gatsby in advance of the film. Not sure how the movie is going to work, considering that the book is actually pretty light on plot.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finished Gatsby. Frankly, I'm baffled as to how anyone could think that it's ripe for cinematic adaptation. It's basically just 9 long scenes of arrogant white people being alternately mopey and despicable. Nick is the only character who isn't completely unlikeable, and Gatsby himself isn't so much "bad" as he is hopelessly naive. Nothing about the book screams "movie." It requires a sense of the characters' inherent awfulness, which most adaptations of it seem to miss in favor of glamorizing their rich and fabulous lifestyle (which, by the way, is why I'll never understand people who throw "Great Gatsby parties.") Baz Lurhmann is a smart guy, so I'm sure he understand what the book is actually about. The book makes it really hard to sympathize with any of the characters, so I hope that the film stays true to that.

Also, finally starting in on A Dance With Dragons. I've been putting it off for months. It's off to a good start, but it needs more Dany and fewer random new POV characters.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

None of the prior adaptations of Gatsby that I've seen are particularly impressive, including the Robert Redford one for which Coppola was the screenwriter. Some of the novel's main themes seem so specific to the time in which it was written.

It's basically just 9 long scenes of arrogant white people being alternately mopey and despicable.

That's it alright. It's in part a critique of the vacuous pleasure-seeking and cynicism of upper-class folks in the 1920s... but, yeah, that critique is bound to feel less urgent for us here in the present day. And probably less so on the big screen.

I read it recently, too, and there's a heavy sadness to the novel that I'm eager to see how Baz Luhrman handles. His movies seem to love swinging tonally from exuberance to melancholy, sometimes in the same scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Currently reading The Friedkin Connection - William Friedkin's new autobio.   Pretty fascinating story about a guy who didn't even pay much attention to movies until adulthood, and then became known as a "hot" young director before he'd done much of anything.   His first feature was a Sonny and Cher vehicle, and then just a couple of years later he made The French Connection and The Exorcist.

I worked for the guy twice and both times he was pretty cool and easy-going.  Others say otherwise, but that wasn't my experience of him.   

But he doesn't even mention the projects that I worked on, which I guess means I can put those stories in MY bio someday. smile

Trey wrote:

But he doesn't even mention the projects that I worked on, which I guess means I can put those stories in MY bio someday. smile

Are you taking preorders on that yet? big_smile

I'm in the second chapter of The Friedkin Connection. It is pretty cool. I saw him do an event in Chicago a couple weeks ago, the day the book was released. The guy is full of movie-making stories, for sure.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, the advance reviews of Gatsby are currently trending negative. Di Caprio, however, seems to be getting some praise. It's a tough part to cast, since Gatsby is classy, but the whole point is it's an inauthentic, affected kind of classy. He's basically a poser. So you need someone who can do the classy-handsome-man thing but at the same time give off that undercurrent of pathetic overreaching.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ryan Gosling, Casey Affleck, James McAvoy, Jude Law, Johnny Depp, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Fassbender, Cillian Murphy...

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was skeptical about DiCaprio, but he's so talented that I'm not surprised he does well with the role.

That said, Michael Fassbender as Jay Gatsby...now I'm disappointed that it's not him.

James McAvoy and JGL are a lot better for Nick, though. Definitely better than Tobey fucking Maguire.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Di Caprio would not have been my first choice either. The thing about Gatsby is we also have to buy him as someone who was in WWI. Fassbender probably would have been good.

Carey Mulligan totally looks like the Daisy I always saw in my head reading the book.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Joel Edgerton is a good choice too, but his mustache just SCREAMS villain. He looks like the kind of guy who ties maidens to railroad tracks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Ryan Gosling, Casey Affleck, James McAvoy, Jude Law, Johnny Depp, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Fassbender, Cillian Murphy...

Jake Gyllennhaal...?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finished A Storm of Swords in anticipation of season 3 of the show.

I really liked it. It was more twisty and turny than the previous two books. There were some downright badass character moments and more than a few jaw dropping surprises.

Knowing what's coming, I can't wait to see what people have to say after the season finale.

Oh, hey, Teague. I heard you mention Robert Charles Wilson's Spin on one of the podcasts. I read that book a couple of years ago and loved it, too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

auralstimulation wrote:

Knowing what's coming, I can't wait to see what people have to say after the season finale.

It's gonna be one hell of a shitstorm. smile

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A Storm of Shits?

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I started reading Snow Crash. Wha....?

Since my last update, I've read:

Old Man's War - John Scalzi

A great premise with an execution that mostly failed to engage me. Neither the plot nor the characters were compelling to me. I became more and more frustrated with how the book handed out exposition and none of the banter was as witty as I suspect Scalzi thought it was when he wrote it.

Harlan Ellison's Watching

Harlan Ellison being Harlan Ellison: Angry and occasionally stubbornly wrong, but always enjoyable.

Thirty-Nine Years of Short-Term Memory Loss: The Early Days of SNL from Someone Who Was There - Tom Davis

A collection of scattered anecdotes that I wish had been presented more chronologically and with a better sense of an actual narrative to it. Also wish it actually had been more about SNL and less about Tom Davis himself, who is someone I ended up not really liking by the end.

Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live - Tom Shales and James Andrew Miller

Loved this one.

Pet Sematary

Yeah, so... It's definitely another Stephen King book. I wouldn't say there are any surprises here, but it's also probably one of the better 'regular' King books. Whatever that means...

The Ghost Brigades - John Scalzi

"So, Hansen if you didn't like Old Man's War, why did you read the sequel?"

Good question! And an even better question considering I didn't particularly like this one either. I suppose I read this one because I wanted to give Scalzi one more chance to win me over. Unfortunately it was more of the same and I won't be reading any more Scalzi any time soon. I suspect he's not a writer for me.

Next, I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5 and maybe Jurassic Park. Maybe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hansen wrote:

Next, I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5 and maybe Jurassic Park. Maybe.

Both of those are a lot of fun. Pity that the Slaughterhouse Five movie didn't do Vonnegut's book justice. It was made by a top-notch director—same guy who did Butch Cassidy and The Sting—but it never comes close to doing what the book does.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Started and bailed on audiobooks for both Under the Dome and Footfall. You could play Stephen King Bingo with all the tired tropes and archetypes King slaps on the page (everyone thinks in obscure song lyrics and they're somehow all thinking of the SAME obscure song lyrics all the time; religious villain has an idiosyncratic cursing vocabulary; etc.), and Footfall was just not engaging to me in the slightest. Both felt like homework and when I realized that I stopped listening.

Meanwhile, I read Joyland in about a week and enjoyed it. It's light fare and has a supernatural element slugged in that the rest of the story frankly did fine without, but since it wasn't such a major time investment the somewhat weak ending didn't bother me, and pretty much none of King's self-conscious Stephen Kingness gets in the way.

I'm now reading Watership Down, a book I've heard a lot about but never read before. The rabbits just got to Cowslip's warren and I'm pretty sure they're going to get eaten or something.

Also reading Lest Darkness Fall, in which a 20th century man travels back to Imperial Rome (fuck you, that's how) and tries to stop the Dark Ages from occurring. In the vein of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, it's more a comedy than a thriller, in the sense that it is completely a comedy and not at all a thriller.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I finally decided to set things straight and start reading The Lord of the Rings. I'm currently finishing the last few chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring.

These books should have been hard to read, at least according to what people have been telling me. Well they're not. I actually find Tolkien's writing style sometimes easier to read than, say, George R. R. Martin's.

I was told that I'd have to go through 20 pages of describing pipe-weed, and read whole chapters about families with so many names you can't remember a third of them. My guess is that the people who told me that probably never actually opened Tolkien's novels. That, or reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books turned out to be a good training.

In any case, I'm enjoying this very much. And when I'm done - and after I've read The Hobbit too, I'll happily go dive into the bluray boxset of Jackson's movies. I haven't seen them in a while now.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down