Topic: The Avengers

Holy balls. Teague, they're playing nin over the trailer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Avengers

Trailer #2, released today.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

If I could open a temporal window to 1981 I would use it to send a betamax tape with the film's release date written on it and just this trailer from 2:00 to 2:07.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

They gave Joss Whedon a truckload of money to make a comic book movie.

Part of me is totally excited about it.

Part of me is worried that he just climbed into the truck and jerked off all over the money.

The trailer is doing nothing to relieve those fears. But it does look cool as hell.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

TThe trailer is doing nothing to relieve those fears. But it does look cool as hell.

That suprises me, the trailer has done nothing but relieve some of my fears. Namely I now know that Joss is at least doing the character dynamicss right, in that they each want to be the main character and none of them will give ground. And plus it looks like he's doing good with the action stuff, so I'm excited.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I've been pleased with everything I've seen so far, with the exception of the Halloween costume Chris Evans still insists on wearing.

It's going to be big, dumb expensive fun sprinkled with a few witticisms and 'Holy Shit!" moments, courtesy of Joss.

I can't wait.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm incredibly hard to win over with a trailer.

Like, really incredible. Even trailers I watch and go "some editor fucking rules," still don't win me over.

You're expecting the turn to be "and I loved this trailer," but no. This looked like every other trailer.

So. I'm still gonna go with the boys on opening night to see the movie, but this recent round of trailers does not have apparent quality above the last, for me. It looked like a movie about The Avengers then, and it looks like one now.

The selling point is Joss, for me. If this trailer was nothing but "you know Joss, right? Check out THESE line deliveries!" I'd be somewhere in the ballpark of excited. Right now, I'm sick of this stuff.

And to be fair, even if it was a Joss trailer, still probably not. I'm not a grouch, I just can't be bothered to give a fuck. It might become my favorite movie ever, but they're apparently having a hell of a time getting my mental demographic onboard. Put all the exploding buildings you want in a teaser, trailer, movie, even sequel - I'd be more happy to be fooled by something that looked like an interesting performance [or characterization, or attitude, perspective, premise, angle, or aesthetic, or style, or anything halp], not set piece.

I love Joss Whedon, and I've liked a lot of his work. His perspective and personality win me over even when his projects don't. Right now, I'm looking more forward to the question in a 2019 interview about The Avengers than the actual movie.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^^  That.

Also - get out of there, Scarlett Johansson.  You are not a superhero, you are a cute girl dressed up for Comic-Con.

And there's way too much Hulk on display for my taste in this new trailer.  Hulk still gets my vote for most ridiculous comic hero idea evar.  I'm convinced that somebody dared somebody else to do a comic based on that concept, and somehow it stuck.

But meh, I'll probably see the movie too.   If it's fun, great.   If not, at least this'll be OVER.

I know I'm supposed to be cautious about this; after all it's sort of like angry group sex with a stack of dudes, but there's almost a patois to the trailer that makes me wonder if it's all going to turn out alright.

The Avengers as an idea is retarded. It's a blend of mythology and origin stories that really don't have a place in the same universe. What gives me hope is the special sauce of Whedon and Downey Jr. If ever there was a perfect writey guy-speakey guy combination, that's got to be it. If there's some reasonable themes underpinning the action then I think this could be a pleasant surprise.

Or we the collective audience are going to wind up with really sore bums.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel better after reading this thread. Haven't been won over by these trailers either. I'm REALLY not digging the cinematography on display in the Avengers material we've seen so far. If it's not an action scene (or a low-angle shot, apparently...), they seem to be taking a, "Yeah, whatever, point the camera in the general direction of whoever's talking," kind of stance. With flat lighting, to boot. Joss Whedon devoted a whole featurette on the Serenity DVD to loving on Jack Green and his extended family... why the hell wasn't he contacted for this?

On top of that, of the Avengers ground-work movies I've seen... Iron Man's... And Iron Man 2 told me that talented people could make a bad movie with RDJ's Tony Stark in it, plus the Avengers tie-ins annoyed me. I know I'm can't be the only one getting a Transformers vibe from this trailer, and I'm so bored with superheroes at this point.

As for Joss Whedon, I pretty much take Teague's stance. I think he's a clever guy, and I always like hearing what he has to say, but I don't think I could call myself a Whedon fan. I like Firefly/Serenity and Dr. Horrible (and Toy Story, if that counts). I was sort of excited when they announced that the project was in his hands, if only for the prospect of hearing Robert Downey Jr. do Whedon dialogue. And yet after the trailers I find myself more interested in Cabin in the Woods than Avengers.

All that said... Scarlett Johansson looked seriously gorgeous in this trailer. I want to spend an afternoon with her in a small-town general store and buy her a butter churn or something.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thing is, if they would let the guys making the movie put together the marketing for the movie - or at least the trailer - then they'd probably end up with lots of awesome trailers. I dunno if they ever let the guys making the movies make the trailers, but it often doesn't appear that way, cause trailers are ususally just a mess of action shots and crap dialogue, give too much away, have no sense of "holy shit what's gonna happen next?" going on, etc. They usually don't answer the main question they're trying to answer which is "Why should I spend $10 and 2 hours to go see your movie?" If the answer you wanted was "We've got fights and group posing and special effects!" then this trailer pushed all your buttons.

I'm sure it will be at least in the above-average group of superhero movies, cause Whedon is good at making movies in general, and good at dealing with ensemble groups of characters who all have different personalities and functions and stuff. I'll bet you that Hawkeye is gonna go from "Who the fuck is that guy?" to "Holy shit, Hawkeye was my favorite character!" overnight. But the trailer is just a generic trailer. I dunno how it all works in the industry, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the same guy(s) cut the trailer for most of the other marvel movies in the last several years. They're all pretty much the same trailer.

edit

I thought of the Transformers films when I watched this as well. The vibe is made even stronger because they're literally ripping sound design from those movies and tossing it into the trailer.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-03-01 06:36:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If the male Avengers posed like the Black Widow...

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4921/avengersq.jpg

Apparently this film shall be known as Marvel Avengers Assemble in the UK so people don't confuse it with The Avengers tv series from the 60s and the crappy film version of said tv show with the same name. Bollocks.

Here's the exact same trailer but with the new UK title. Bollocks.

Bollocks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wanna see Iron Man fight a giant fucking mech dragon. I don't care if it's without substance. I want it.

I love this movement that's sprung up of drawing male superheroes like female superheroes to highlight the difference between idealization and sexualization. It's the best kind of satire, hysterical while still making a strong point.

The Spider-Man costume here is one of my favorites. I think it's the look of terror on the face of the guy he's saving that gets me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm incredibly hard to win over with a trailer.
Like, really incredible. Even trailers I watch and go "some editor fucking rules," still don't win me over.

Dear Teague, Trey, whomever else this applies to,

I think it might have come up on the Source Code episode as well, that you don't really get excited about upcoming movies and that you don't feel any kind of impetuous to see them upon their release.

I was wondering if you've always been this way, or if this is a result of living in LA and working in the industry. I'm a smart enough guy to know that trailers are just advertising tools and exploit whatever they think will get people in the seats, but I still get excited when I hear/read/see more about a movie I think has potential to be fun or great. Is it just the marketing/politics behind the industry that turn you off, or are you all just mature (jaded) bastards that refuse to buy into the zeitgeist (or am I misinterpreting what I thought you said)?

We all have our own preferences, but knowing how much you guys love film it seems hard to believe you don't get the same twinges of anticipation that I do when you think about that new project that your favorite director/writer/actor/team is working on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I also don't tend to get excited by trailers -- in fact in the last couple years I've just stopped watching trailers at all, except the ones that play in the theater or that everyone is talking about. But some of my friends just go on the Apple site and browse, and I never do.

For my part, I've become jaded toward trailers not because I work in the industry, but because I've been burned too many times by an awesome trailer for a shitty film. If I don't get excited I can't be (as) disappointed. These days I treat trailers as stand-alone pieces. I appreciate the craft of a great trailer but it doesn't make me excited for the movie, though it can make me more interested if it looks better than I expected. There's also the factor that I've already probably decided whether or not I'm going to see it (with possibility to be swayed if the tomatometer goes hard the other way), so the trailer is mostly irrelevant.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but after the prequels, Matrix sequels, half of what Spielberg's been up to the last decade, and The Shyamalan, "from the makers of [thing I loved]" gets me cautiously optimistic at best.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The trailer just keeps reminding me, "Oh yeah, I want to watch that." Personally, the aspects of the film is that I want to see the interaction between these volatile personalities. I think that Hawkeye and Black Widow (right? I don't know) will be lost in the play between Thor, Iron Man, Cap and Nick Fury. At least they gave Samuel L Jackson something that blows stuff up this movie...
But, the trailers-yeah, they look like Michael Bay put them together.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll be the odd man out here. I love trailers. I love the concept of a trailer. The best ones are little works of art all by themselves. It's kind of like the sonnet; it's a really constrained format, but paradoxically shackling yourself to those constraints opens you up to a whole lot of creativity.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, absolutely.

The question is really "do I trust this to also be telling me the truth about a future purchase or not," though. Which. Lol.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I think that Hawkeye and Black Widow

Wait, Hawkeye? Who the hell is Hawkeye?
http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/230703-bigthumbnail.jpg
His super power had better not be squinty vision.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm really tired of the comedic pauses and fading to black in trailers these days.

Remember in THOR where Jeremy Renner was in one scene with a bow and arrow and it was like "lolwut"? Apparently that's a thing called Hawkeye.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Remember in THOR where Jeremy Renner was in one scene a bow and arrow and it was like "lolwut"? Apparently that's a thing called Hawkeye.

Actually, this is the thing that I'm most curious about.  Does the Avengers have some kind of affirmative action quota?   

"Lessee, we've got a guy with an almost-indestructible nuclear suit, an almost-indestructible huge green troll, and an actual GOD.   Who else do we need?"

"Well, we have a patriotic kinda guy who's, like a really really strong human."

"Uh, okay I guess.   So that does it, right?"

"Actually, we're required by law to have a woman on the team, so we found one that can do karate and stuff."

"Oh wow, she does karate?  You know we have a NORSE GOD on the team, right?   Allright, fine."   

"And we also have to include this guy who uses a bow and arrow."

"Okay, now I know you're kidding me.  (pause)  You're not kidding at all, are you?"

"It's cool, he's really really GOOD with a bow and arrow."

"Are they, like, nuclear-tipped exploding arrows or something?"

"Umm, not that I know of."

"Jesus.  Okay, if we take Robin Hood, then does that fulfill our special needs quota?   We don't need to have, say, a one-eyed black guy or anything?"

"Now that you mention it..."

Actually, this is the thing that I'm most curious about.  Does the Avengers have some kind of affirmative action quota?

It's more a result of Marvel trying to pile a lot of popular characters together in one book to boost readership, while keeping the roster varied enough to try and attract as many demographics as possible (the again almost every character in the Marvel Universe has been a member of the Avengers at one time or another).

It does remind me of the Patton Oswalt bit though:

“Try the Avengers, they’ll take anyone. Hey, they have a guy with a bow and arrow? I’m not kiddding. What, are they recruiting at sporting goods stores?
‘Hey, you jump rope really fast, how would you like to be an Avenger?’
‘I like the way you tether ball, sir. How would you like to take on ULTRON?’”

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down