Topic: New iPad.

I tried to make a poll, but it didn't work.
http://www.getsocialize.com/static/images/socialize/v2/apple_logo_sm_white.png
I've ordered one for launch day, any other Mac fags in the house?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: New iPad.

I still own an iPhone 3G. And I'm not retiring it just because I pseudo-need more real estate, screen-wise. The only potential uses I could see for one is reading Guitar tabs, and for on-location notes and scrip reading while shooting a film.

I know, there's tons of uses for it, just not one I need.

...Unless someone fashions an app and cable to make it into an external monitor etc for DSLR-cameras.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2012-03-15 12:10:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/3356725_460s.jpg

The sentiment stands.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm still good with my iPad 2. Maybe I'll get next year's model.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

If I had an iPad 2, I wouldn't upgrade. Photoshop on the new one should be interesting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

...Unless someone fashions an app and cable to make it into an external monitor etc for DSLR-cameras.

Check this out.

I'm not sure it actually has a "live view" function, but I remember really wanting to get this back when I still had my D90.

Had to sell the iPad 2 for gas money last month, but between work and this year's tax return I was able to pre-order a new one.  Picking it up at my local Apple store after work.  Went for the same 16GB Wifi version, but I kind of wish I had gone for a 4G; 4G on my iPhone 4S is pretty impressive.

I was dubious about the iPad when it was announced, but the last year with the second generation has made me see just how invaluable it is.

Personally, I use mine a lot to stream media from my computer.  I ripped my entire DVD library for iTunes, so between that and a little app called Air Video, I can watch pretty much anything on my computer from the comfort of...anywhere in the house.

The only downside of my current setup, is that my otherwise portable Macbook Pro, is pretty much chained to my desk to act as a media server.  I think my next Apple purchase will be a Mac Mini to take over media server duties.  Eventually I'll be able to afford a decent TV, and I'll want a Mini to hook up to that anyway.

Might get the new one some time this year, maybe next. My first generation one is still kicking, but I fear this is the kind of cycle where all the apps start stepping up and start to lag on older hardware.

It's always funny to see that some people still think that the premise of that macro still reflects reality. Different thoughts on what "equivalent" means, I suppose.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

If I had an iPad 2, I wouldn't upgrade.

You can't tell me what to do!

/buy out of spite

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

The only downside of my current setup, is that my otherwise portable Macbook Pro, is pretty much chained to my desk to act as a media server.  I think my next Apple purchase will be a Mac Mini to take over media server duties.

This.

And Dorkman, ha! Race you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:
vidina wrote:

Check this out.

I'm not sure it actually has a "live view" function, but I remember really wanting to get this back when I still had my D90.

You know what? I tried that on my iPhone. It's the same app, basically, but the stupid bit was that in order to work, the camera needs to be plugged into a PC/Mac running the host app, and the iPhone/iPad needs to be on the same WLAN. So, it kinda defeats the purpose for me, as that means I'll have to bring a laptop to the shoot anyway, and then what's the point of the iPad, right? The PC app for Canon cameras is pretty good as-is.

Matt Vayda wrote:

Personally, I use mine a lot to stream media from my computer.  I ripped my entire DVD library for iTunes, so between that and a little app called Air Video, I can watch pretty much anything on my computer from the comfort of...anywhere in the house.

The only downside of my current setup, is that my otherwise portable Macbook Pro, is pretty much chained to my desk to act as a media server.  I think my next Apple purchase will be a Mac Mini to take over media server duties.  Eventually I'll be able to afford a decent TV, and I'll want a Mini to hook up to that anyway.

I've a 50" 1080p LG Plasma. Our couch is incidentally the most comfortable place in the house tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

its in my hands. The screen makes me want to cry,

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That screen is one of the big selling points for me; I mean, short of full 3D holographics, I don't see how they're going to improve on the "Retina" resolution, at least in the next couple years.

//come on Apple, make me eat my words.

Better black levels and contrast ratios, better glass coatings, and getting the screen as close to the surface as possible. But you're right, those are small beans compared to passing the limits of human perception.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My 32GB LTE model should be delivered some time tomorrow. Managed to sell my first-gen for $200, too.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yo.  This screen is no joke.

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

true dat

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Down In Front Forum looks awesome on this thing.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't even want to be in the same room with one. I love my original first-gen iPad and have no complaints about it, but I just know if I see the new one I'm going to spontaneously vomit all my money right out onto the floor.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My wife has a gen 1, and didn't see the point of upgrading until I brought the new one home. Screen, form factor, weight, gaming performance...

Last edited by Dave (2012-03-17 23:23:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

... flavor

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Digging my Verizon 4G version. Now I can do stuff like read the forum and write this post while on a break at work where there is no Wifi. Only gripe so far is that so far (at home and at work) I'm only getting 3G, whereas my AT&T iPhone 4S gets 4G everywhere. Oh well, still nice to have redundancy in my data connections, and I'm sure that Hotspot will come in handy one day.

Oh, and the screen is real purdy too.

AT&T iPhones with 5.1 just sort of say 4G now, even if they're only on 3G. They don't have the antennas or means to parse a 4G signal. So you might not actually have 4G coverage, and your network is being a lying punk.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As of 5.1, iPhone 4s are now calling AT&T's faux-4G HSPA+ 4G instead of 3G like they were before. There is no LTE chip in an iPhone.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Holden wrote:

As of 5.1, iPhone 4s are now calling AT&T's faux-4G HSPA+ 4G instead of 3G like they were before. There is no LTE chip in an iPhone.

To be fair, this does dintiguish the actually-faster '4G' that AT&T offers from the really slow shitty 3G that Verizon offers. Before, both networks were indicated with the same '3G' in the corner.

Both, however, pale in comparison to the LTE I'm getting:

https://p.twimg.com/AoSk9ldCMAEQRsc.jpg

EDIT: Side-bar: shitty 3G performance on the Verizon is MORE than made up for by the FREE hotspot tethering they're offering in comparison to AT&T not even offering tethering.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2012-03-18 21:57:19)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A week in and I'm utterly smitten.

Thumbs up Thumbs down