Re: Transformers 2 - Revenge of the Fallen

A while back I started working on a parody thing for this flick. I've been dabbling with the script off and on, but been more interested in getting another little side project dealing with animation up and (kinda) running. I may combine the two and do the parody thing using the animation thing. Anyway, I've seen this movie a couple dozen times now. I took notes and studied the hell out of it in an effort to come up with some good comedy.

Don't do that, by the way.

But yeah, this is probably the most complexly bad movie I've ever seen. It's been a while since I've seen it now. I probably have my notes around here somewhere. Maybe I'll give that parody thing a shot. I gotta animate something.

If I were asked to reboot the series I'm not sure off the top of my head what I'd do, but I know what I'd try to do with the characters. First, I'd give the transformers some actual character and not have them act like various cultural stereotypes. I'd have them do things outside of fighting other robots and deliver overly dramatic speeches. I'd have at least a couple human characters, cause that would give us a set of eyes to see through once in a while. Let the audience look at these two groups of robots from the outside on occasion, you know?

I'd make sure the transformers were the protagonists and antagonists, not antagonists and side-characters. I'd keep the number of transformers down to just a handful on each side and make sure that each one of them had a purpose in the plot beyond just being there to chase the humans around when they're needed. Each group should have some kind of goal.

I always thought that the energon thing was kinda dumb. It makes earth pointless. They could go anywhere and get their energon. If they needed something that the earth has, but that not many other planets have - some material or thing that our planet is somewhat unique in having, like life, maybe - then that's what they should need. The decepticons want to just take whatever it is and the autobots want to try to find a peaceful way to cohabit. That's pretty similar to the films they have now, but minus the goofy "allspark" and "energon" bullshit and all the various gaping plot holes both of those things bring to the story. They both may have existed in the cartoon - I can't remember the allspark - but they're both so broken in the films and just complicate what should otherwise be a simple plot. Both of those elements were just wild cards in the story anyway. "I need this to happen...  uh...  the allspark can do that!" "how?" "It just can!"

I mean, the allspark creates them, but can kill them, but can bring them back from the dead after killing them, but they still 'breed' without the allspark, but need it so the things they breed don't die...  cause it can create energon? But they can also make energon this other way... so why exactly do they need the fucking allspark?

/rant

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was really hesitant about posting my review of this movie here, mostly because i'm sure that everyone here is  probably a lot smarter then me when it comes to movies. But also because I felt like I stretched it out to long for it to be as enjoyable as I wanted it. None the less I figure the point of making a review is for people to watch it so yeah.

Anyway I hope you enjoy... http://blip.tv/theautisticlobsters

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Landporpus wrote:

I was really hesitant about posting my review of this movie here, mostly because i'm sure that everyone here is  probably a lot smarter then me when it comes to movies. But also because I felt like I stretched it out to long for it to be as enjoyable as I wanted it. None the less I figure the point of making a review is for people to watch it so yeah.

Anyway I hope you enjoy... http://blip.tv/theautisticlobsters

That is, indeed, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long. You are pretty much showing every scene you talk about thrice. This could be cut down to about 1/3 of it's length, and convey the same information.

It was a valiant try, but Red Letter Media you are, unfortunately, not. Sorry.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down